Scape Goat Who's the new scape goat?

Remove this Banner Ad

The definite scapegoats will be our Ruckman.
Simpson, McIntosh and whoever takes over when they inevitably get injured.

The thing for Murdoch is he needs to start kicking goals, even though we got Clark, we still need another avenue to goal.
We need some consistent small to mid sized goal kickers that's for sure.

You mean like Dan Menzel? Can we dream?
If, and it's still if, he makes it back, it's a good thing KP doesn't have a roof. The cheer from the crowd would likely blow the bloody thing off!

I think this is it daz:

6dNyEdUegNpCqu6JomOb--pwnQFzs3-dyf87gi0Pm0V721q8Fnw34XWyuEsJlBmCV2FSStskMl7IvVXLrFwyJJr05g4P_my_QS_AVklLxw=w364-h378-nc

Funny thing if we were in a time warp it would be Tommy Hawkins getting bagged to buggery. Oh how the unmighty have risen!

And I've heard the real reason TV left the club was to get away from ... you know. But certainly not me too.

He kicked 22 goals from 23 games in 2014 (including 8 games with multiple goals). Bartel kicked 27 goals and was our 2nd leading goal scorer for the year. Natural progression should see Murdoch kick 30+ this year if he's played in the same role. Along with his speed and defensive pressure, he's a valuable commodity. There's certainly room for improvement but it's important to remember that he's only young.
If we could have Hawkins kick 50+, Clark 30+, and Murdoch 30+, we'd be in a good place this year.

Murdoch and Smeldts as they have been in the system for a bit and yet to really produce any consistency in their game :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually that's a really good question. I wonder where the hell that came from?

The Old Testament - Levicitus 16:8. It was the practise to banish a criminal or wrongdoer to the desert as punishment for bringing misfortune on the local tribe or community.

There seemed to be scant reasons needed to blame someone for all the ills of the tribe, and absolutely zero common sense. Much like now. :)

The Old Testament - Levicitus 16:8. It was the practise to banish a criminal or wrongdoer to the desert as punishment for bringing misfortune on the local tribe or community.

There seemed to be scant reasons needed to blame someone for all the ills of the tribe, and absolutely zero common sense. Much like now. :)
Jeez I should have known you would know.;)

But what is the scape reference (not having a bible nearby to check)?

Whats a scape goat?

Go Catters

Actually that's a really good question. I wonder where the hell that came from?

Jeez I should have known you would know.;)

But what is the scape reference (not having a bible nearby to check)?

Partridge has got it wrong. You should consult a Rabbi on this one.

It was a goat that was sent into the wilderness (on Yom Kippur, i.e. the day of atonement) after the Israelite/Jewish Chief Priest had symbolically laid the sins of the nation upon the goat.

But what is the scape reference (not having a bible nearby to check)

Two goats are chosen but only one is sacrificed on the altar while the other escapes death by being sent into the wilderness. So the idea is one goat gets the death penalty in the place of the offenders (Israel) and the other symbolically carries the sins of the offenders away from the community into the wilderness.

Lev 16
16 The Lord spoke to Moses after the death of the two sons of Aaron who died when they approached the Lord. 2 The Lord said to Moses: “Tell your brother Aaron that he is not to come whenever he chooses into the Most Holy Place behind the curtain in front of the atonement cover on the ark, or else he will die. For I will appear in the cloud over the atonement cover.

3 “This is how Aaron is to enter the Most Holy Place: He must first bring a young bull for a sin offeringa]">[a] and a ram for a burnt offering. 4 He is to put on the sacred linen tunic, with linen undergarments next to his body; he is to tie the linen sash around him and put on the linen turban. These are sacred garments; so he must bathe himself with water before he puts them on. 5 From the Israelite community he is to take two male goats for a sin offering and a ram for a burnt offering.

6 “Aaron is to offer the bull for his own sin offering to make atonement for himself and his household. 7 Then he is to take the two goats and present them before the Lord at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 8 He is to cast lots for the two goats—one lot for the Lord and the other for the scapegoat.b]">[b] 9 Aaron shall bring the goat whose lot falls to the Lord and sacrifice it for a sin offering. 10 But the goat chosen by lot as the scapegoat shall be presented alive before the Lord to be used for making atonement by sending it into the wilderness as a scapegoat.

Last edited:
Partridge has got it wrong. You should consult a Rabbi on this one.

It was a goat that was sent into the wilderness (on Yom Kippur, i.e. the day of atonement) after the Israelite/Jewish Chief Priest had symbolically laid the sins of the nation upon the goat.

Two goats are chosen but only one is sacrificed on the altar while the other escapes death by being sent into the wilderness. So the idea is one goat gets the death penalty in the place of the offenders (Israel) and the other symbolically carries the sins of the offenders away from the community into the wilderness.

Lev 16
16 The Lord spoke to Moses after the death of the two sons of Aaron who died when they approached the Lord. 2 The Lord said to Moses: “Tell your brother Aaron that he is not to come whenever he chooses into the Most Holy Place behind the curtain in front of the atonement cover on the ark, or else he will die. For I will appear in the cloud over the atonement cover.

3 “This is how Aaron is to enter the Most Holy Place: He must first bring a young bull for a sin offeringa]">[a] and a ram for a burnt offering. 4 He is to put on the sacred linen tunic, with linen undergarments next to his body; he is to tie the linen sash around him and put on the linen turban. These are sacred garments; so he must bathe himself with water before he puts them on. 5 From the Israelite community he is to take two male goats for a sin offering and a ram for a burnt offering.

6 “Aaron is to offer the bull for his own sin offering to make atonement for himself and his household. 7 Then he is to take the two goats and present them before the Lord at the entrance to the tent of meeting. 8 He is to cast lots for the two goats—one lot for the Lord and the other for the scapegoat.b]">[b] 9 Aaron shall bring the goat whose lot falls to the Lord and sacrifice it for a sin offering. 10 But the goat chosen by lot as the scapegoat shall be presented alive before the Lord to be used for making atonement by sending it into the wilderness as a scapegoat.

So we should select our scapegoat for 2015 by drawing a name out of a hat? I quite like that idea- sounds fair to me. :)

I guess we can wait until the end of the year to decide who we need to sacrifice.

So we should select our scapegoat for 2015 by drawing a name out of a hat? I quite like that idea- sounds fair to me. :)

I guess we can wait until the end of the year to decide who we need to sacrifice.

But who do we send into the wilderness? (read "Melbourne football club").

But who do we send into the wilderness? (read "Melbourne football club").
We sent Christensen off North into the wilderness at the end of last season. Varcoe was mean to go, too, but someone misread their instructions and thought it said "wildness", so he ended up at the Pies by mistake.
In previous years we have sacrificed Byrnes, Gillies and Chapman to various "wilderness" locations. :)

Bit of a tangent, but who have you been ready and willing to scapegoat only to have them outperform your expectations?

Mine is Stokes. Every year for about 5 years I've been ready to call his decline and finish. He just keeps proving me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back