Scape Goat Who's the new scape goat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure CE.
I did call Chappy as cooked very late in ( I think) 2010. Because I thought he couldn't even chase.
And that was at 1/2 time. Fair to say he had a good second half :D

Bit of a tangent, but who have you been ready and willing to scapegoat only to have them outperform your expectations?

Mine is Stokes. Every year for about 5 years I've been ready to call his decline and finish. He just keeps proving me wrong.

Exactly. I picked Stokes to finish his career in the VFL after his 2010 season.
Then 2011 happened and I had to revisit my assessment of Stokes.

Really?
I always felt he was the most exciting player we had, or at least one of them. He'd put bums on seats because he would do something near impossible on a fortnightly basis. I guess our expectations of the team were much different prior to 2007, I was always in the hope of finding another Ablett Senior so the footy would become fun again.
Yeah, but what were you thinking when he broke his ankle? Or when he was suspended at the start of 07?

I was doubting at that stage. Not the talent, but the fulfilment of it.

Imagine had Collingwood got Johnson? There's a very good chance he would have gone on to replicate a similar career as what he's had with us. They could have beaten us in 2011 if Johnson was lurking forward for them.
I'd really rather not think of that!

I'd really rather not think of that!

I don't mind thinking about it as it makes the little s**t eating grin I get on my face even more enjoyable when I realize that its not true, and he was part of the spine of players than won us 3… :D

GO Catters

I think Smedts will become the scapegoat (if he isn't already). But honestly it's a pretty ludicrous concept. There is no one player that decides the team's fortunes. Some, like Hawkins and Selwood, have a very significant impact. But the idea that our fortunes will teeter solely on the balance of Smedts or someone similar (and if it doesn't, why are they singled out to be held accountable?) is laughable.

Last edited:
I think Smedts will become the scapegoat (if he isn't already). But honestly it's a pretty ludicrous concept. There is no one player that decides the team's fortunes. Some, like Hawkins and Selwood, have a very significant impact. But the idea that our fortunes will teeter solely on the balance of Smedts or someone similar (and if it doesn't, why are they singled out to be held accountable?) is laughable.

Exactly. But the fact is that since I have been following BF Cats portal there has been a constant theme by a few of finding a player to blame for the failure of the team.

I remember the last game at K'Park in 2011 when the Swans beat us and Hawkins copped it, and yet Pod's contributed very little that day but escaped the wrath. There were calls for Hawkins to be traded at that time. In the past Mackie and Shagga Byrnes also seemed to be players that were singled out after a poor team performances.

I also remember Josh Hunt being singled out in a finals game for a turnover that resulted in a goal. But no one commented on Bartel's crap hand pass to Hunt that put him under pressure in the first place. And Bartel did not need to play on in the first place.
Yes, the Scape goat is a ludicrous concept

Last edited:
I don't mind thinking about it as it makes the little s**t eating grin I get on my face even more enjoyable when I realize that its not true, and he was part of the spine of players than won us 3… :D

GO Catters
The only sh*t eating grin I see now is Lyon's, makes it all the more pleasurable when we beat them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. But the fact is that since I have been following BF Cats portal there has been a constant theme by a few of finding a player to blame for the failure of the team.

I remember the last game at K'Park in 2011 when the Swans beat us and Hawkins copped it, and yet Pod's contributed very little that day but escaped the wrath. There were calls for Hawkins to be traded at that time. In the past Mackie and Shagga Byrnes also seemed to be players that were singled out after a poor team performances.

I also remember Josh Hunt being singled out in a finals game for a turnover that resulted in a goal. But no one commented on Bartel's crap hand pass to Hunt that put him under pressure in the first place. And Bartel did not need to play on in the first place.
Yes, the Scape goat is a ludicrous concept
I agree. In mid-2011 I thought Hawkins would never get back to the AFL. When he was dropped mid-year for Vardy before the Gold Coast game I was having a conversation with another Cats supporter where we essentially agreed "good riddance, don't want him playing for the ones again."

Needless to say, I am extraordinarily glad that I was proven wrong. Just goes to show that our judgment calls can be very wrong.

After this pre-season I'd say Murdoch is more frustrating. At least Smedts was definitely having a go and knew what his role was.

I tend to agree. Billie, whilst not always being right, was having a go - not always successfully, but having a dip.

I can't say the same for Murda. Not saying either are no good, but on this preseason, Id have Billie in front based on output.

Go Catters

Is Smedts playing half forward?
smiley-confused005.gif

Not as far as I know...

In fact, if he was told to take up that position now, I'm sure he'd give the coach a blank look and tell him he has no idea where HF is :)

I've missed the nab games but from memory the experiment of him through half back wasn't working

I've missed the nab games but from memory the experiment of him through half back wasn't working
It still doesn't seem to be working and yes, the MC are persisting with him in defence. He only played the first 2 games. Had a better game against Adelaide (2nd game) than against Gold Coast (1st game) but still isn't there yet. He seems to have upped his intensity this season but disposal was pretty poor- kicked a nice goal in the Crows game, though.

Maybe he will be our new 'switch man' and be thrown up forward to surprise our opponents? That'd be nice!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back