Opinion Who's your favorite footy writer/journalist and why...

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to find out ‘Who are the best and most widely read footy-writers in the country?’...and if I’m going to be honest about it, my motivations for finding out aren't entirely transparent.

As some BF regulars are already aware, I write both professionally and for fun. Most of my professional writing currently revolves around marketing communications - which is enjoyable enough and pays the bills, but frankly I'd much rather do far less writing for other people, and more writing on the stuff that interests me if I can manage it.

I already write regularly about one of my great loves, and while it's a silly, fun and fulfilling hobby, I doubt satirical fishing reviews are a big enough niche to supplement my current living. I often find myself taking the piss out of subjects, even when they're particularly close to my heart...and I have this persistent delusion that I can be entertaining enough with my writing to make people want to read my stuff, purely for the pleasure of doing so.

I love footy as much as I love fishing, I post on BF at least once a day on average, and just like rec-fishing - there's plenty of scope to write about footy both passionately and sardonically... so I figure there may be another professional/pleasurable opportunity for me in sports writing.

Essentially I'm looking to find out:

- what kind of footy content people like to read,
- what kind of writing style pops their cork the most,
- and if I have the writing chops to make my passion for AFL part of my career.

The best way I know to achieve that is to study-up on the guys who are currently making it as sports writers and footy journalists... hence the request for recommendations.

Thanks folks - I'd appreciate any input. I might repeat this post on the main boards too in order to get a wider cross-section of opinions.

Last edited:

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to find out ‘Who are the best and most widely read footy-writers in the country?’...and if I’m going to be honest about it, my motivations for finding out aren't entirely transparent.

As some BF regulars are already aware, I write both professionally and for fun. Most of my professional writing currently revolves around marketing communications - which is enjoyable enough and pays the bills, but frankly I'd much rather do far less writing for other people, and more writing on the stuff that interests me if I can manage it.

I already write regularly about one of my great loves, and while it's a silly, fun and fulfilling hobby, I doubt satirical fishing reviews are a big enough niche to supplement my current living. I often find myself taking the piss out of subjects, even when they're particularly close to my heart...and I have this persistent delusion that I can be entertaining enough with my writing to make people want to read my stuff, purely for the pleasure of doing so.

I love footy as much as I love fishing, I post on BF at least once a day on average, and just like rec-fishing - there's plenty of scope to write about footy both passionately and sardonically... so I figure there may be another professional/pleasurable opportunity for me in sports writing.

Essentially I'm looking to find out:

- what kind of footy content people like to read,
- what kind of writing style pops their cork the most,
- and if I have the writing chops to make my passion for AFL part of my career.

The best way I know to achieve that is to study-up on they guys who are currently making it as sports writers and footy journalists... hence the request for recommendations.

Thanks folks - I'd appreciate any input. I might repeat this post on the main boards too in order to get a wider cross-section of opinions.

A satirical article on the poor level of footy journalism in general?

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
A satirical article on the poor level of footy journalism in general?

I'm tempted to say "Fish in a Barrel"... but I won't just yet as I can't honestly say I could do any better - frankly I've never tried before.

...On the plus side, I can't be any worse than Hagdorn.

TO be fair though, I'm not talking abut pure sporting journalism. What I really want to find out is what people look for in good football-related writing, not just necessarily journalism, but satire, blogs, fiction and criticism as well.

Last edited:

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
To be completely honest I don't have a favorite, I honestly believe sports journalism is completely s**t here in Australia. The fact Mark Robinson has the job he has says it all to me. Sorry to come across as negative, but from an AFL journalism perspective, they're all crap to me.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
It's interesting, youre going to have to strike a balance between sensationalism and reality. The other balance is between bias and balance towards ones team. I find Emma Quayles article on potential draftee's always insightful. A piece on players background or motivation are often great.

Aug 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think a more sentimental approach to the game would be nice. As a counter pointto the sensationalist crap we get. A bit of heart you know. There are some good writers that talk cricket on cricinfo and places like that. Footy journalism is so soulless half the time its as though its written by people that dont even really like it that much.

UFO Tatsu

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 11, 2012
Perth, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
looked at the title and thought it was a trick question ... funnily enough, i seem to like reading damien barrett's articles

Mr Peabody

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I miss Matt Price. Was a marvellous writer. A very witty account of the formulative years in his occasional rants in the Oz and while he knew how to take the piss, he always remained loyal and passionate to the cause. In each offseason, I revert to reading "Way to Go". An absolute masterpiece that no doubt many on here have read. Gekko71, if you want to know a style I like, there's a gap in the market since Matt sadly passed. Setting aside the fact he was a Freo supporter, I enjoyed his analysis too as a political commentator both in the press but also on the Insiders.

Of the current lot, I can handle Whateley in small doses except when he's speaking of Freo. He seems to be forcing himself and is not genuine when talking us up. Plus I don't think he he has ever got over Ross Lyon coming our way in such a 'dulplicitous' way. And I don't think Ross has ever got over being criticised by him as I have not seen Ross on the 360 show even when the Coach and Captain segment features during the finals.

clivenator26

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2009
Latex Condo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Duffield.
Quayle - agree her work on the rookies is great.
Greg Baum - has written a few rippers lately, his latest on the ASADA scandal is very good.
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/essendon...m-frying-pan-beware-fire-20141023-11aq9o.html

Robbo whilst a drunk, I do enjoy the passion he writes with when it comes to the actual game. His tackle (lol) is pretty simple but an effective wrap each week.

Simon White writes some weird stuff which I don't mind but as a dockers fan I think he seems to want to be a dud team still rather than winning so it helps his material.

I know he is one of the clubs own but Costa Katsanis does some good stuff for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2, 2010
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Duffield.
Quayle - agree her work on the rookies is great.
Greg Baum - has written a few rippers lately, his latest on the ASADA scandal is very good.
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/essendon...m-frying-pan-beware-fire-20141023-11aq9o.html

Robbo whilst a drunk, I do enjoy the passion he writes with when it comes to the actual game. His tackle (lol) is pretty simple but an effective wrap each week.

Simon White writes some weird stuff which I don't mind but as a dockers fan I think he seems to want to be a dud team still rather than winning so it helps his material.

I know he is one of the clubs own but Costa Katsanis does some good stuff for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good list.

My top 3 are
1. Emma Quayle (Draftee write ups and revisits)
2. Costa Katsanis (Club articles on players)
3. E Shed/Harry Reems (They have a way with words when it comes to Training reports)

EDIT:
Titus O'Reilly is the best satirical footy writer out there. If I could only follow 1 person on Twitter, it would be him.

Last edited:
For straight footy journalism stuff I tend to agree with most of the sentiments already expressed on the virtues of Quayle, Duffield & Barrett. However my preference is for the writing to have a certain amount of pisstakery, so I enjoy reading the likes of Titus O'Reily & Geoff Lemon. And of course Matt Price...

Oct 3, 2006
Block 345
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Glasgow Celtic, Roys FFC, NUFC,
I reckon one of the best football writers is a footballer himself. I really enjoy Bob Murphy's articles but I guess he hasn't been tainted by the cynicism of the trade. He's not a regular writer really but I like his style.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I respect Mark Duffield - is pretty even handed and writes good feature length articles as opposed to the sensationalist 'news' stories that get churned out. Does his research and avoids getting sucked into any hysteria that might be circulating.

But Maumill on Sunday - now there's a bloke who can talk footy! Passionate, opinionated - he isn't always right but he knows his stuff, loves a good debate, is a good Freo / Souths man and I love him. :thumbsu::hearts::footy:

Purpletown

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
Restumping
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC Denver Broncos
I think a more sentimental approach to the game would be nice. As a counter pointto the sensationalist crap we get. A bit of heart you know. There are some good writers that talk cricket on cricinfo and places like that. Footy journalism is so soulless half the time its as though its written by people that dont even really like it that much.

Don't mention the test cricket - you just did but I think you got away with it.

Agree about the quality of the professional writers on that site. They come from diverse backgrounds and I think that helps to give each of them a slightly different outlook on the game. Mark Nickless (spelling?) and Martin Crowe write some great stuff.

I think there is a sameness with AFL writers because they all come from a small geographic area and report on a game played professionally in only one place in the world.

AFL has become a TV sport also IMO and hence like all things dominated by TV the coverage is getting dumbed down. The guys at the game doing the broadcast seem to do little more than shout over the top of each other and try to come up with some sensationalist garbage that is of little interest to most people. They need to learn to let the vision explain what is going on to a much lager degree.

Print journalists are up against it because most people only want to read about their team and they also have the problem that the game is dominated by the short attention span of the TV industry.

Getting back to Cricinfo it is funny to read when people from other nations in the India region post stuff in their version of English. On top of that plenty of them want to vent their spleen about all things Australian when they beat us.

balthazarthedonk

Senior List
Jul 6, 2011
Here and There
AFL Club
Fremantle
Titus O'Reilly and Geoff Lemon - an occasional sparring partner on The Roar - for amusement value. But the only sports journalist I would call a writer is Martin Flanagan for Fairfax. Sure, he may not have won the Booker Prize like his brother, but he has an occasionally lovely turn of phrase

HowieD

Team Captain
Nov 28, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
AFL Club
Fremantle
Caro. Her ability to source information is amazing. I'm sure she has some pictures of Essendon powerbrokers in compromising positions. She takes no prisoners, enjoys upsetting the establishment, and will stick her neck out (James Hird to be sacked, etc.). While I do like her style, she does have a vendetta against the "boys club" that is AFL at times and that grinds my gears. :(

Emma Quayle gives great insight on the draftees. Top notch also, in my opinion.

Damian Barrett, but only when he gets pissed off at someone/something. At all other times he sounds like he has a carrot lodged neatly up there...

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I barely read any reviews of matches. There are two things I hate which most sports writers seem to do:

Firstly, not being able to retell the story of the match in roughly chronological order. We usually get a garbled account of bits and pieces that happened throughout the match in some sort of random order.

Secondly, I hate the way they use player's past history as adjectives when they mention them, eg - when talking about Chris they will describe him as "the dual-Brownlow Medalist" or ".. the former Eages Captain". Assume your audience know who Chris Judd is. If not, and it is really necessary to remind them, describe his achievements in a separate line or paragraph, don't break it up and slip in a little bit each time you mention him. That shits me.

BlueBerryPrince

Senior List
Sep 13, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Leeds United
I have always enjoyed FFC4ME's posts, his post game analysis is always well written.

As for the media, a majority of Duffields work is a decent standard but unfortunately I too am disappointed with Football journalism as a whole.

If you do have a crack at football writing please post some links here, I for one would happily read it.

Back