Opinion Why Adam Goodes is booed and other anthropological discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodes is a spokesperson for his people and he uses his circumstances to push this agenda. I don't care about that. More power to him.

What I care about is the way the media manufactures the outrage of the general public and then decries the same public for the response that it created in the first place. The media whips up the frenzy and then provides the counter argument via its commentators from the other side.

It is plainly obvious and it happens across the board with all issues.
I despise it because it creates a society that lacks the capacity of critical thought.

This latest Goodes "issue" is just one example of this.

Goodes is a spokesperson for his people and he uses his circumstances to push this agenda. I don't care about that. More power to him.

What I care about is the way the media manufactures the outrage of the general public and then decries the same public for the response that it created in the first place. The media whips up the frenzy and then provides the counter argument via its commentators from the other side.

It is plainly obvious and it happens across the board with all issues.
I despise it because it creates a society that lacks the capacity of critical thought.

This latest Goodes "issue" is just one example of this.
Yeah, like Lindy Chamberlain is a heartless, guilty childkiller one minute and then the next is an completely innocent scapegoat. FY media bitches.

However it's most likely that she heard her parents refer to him as an ape. That's the way I'd see it. Obviously 13 is a bit young to be formulating your own thoughts on a complex social matter, but it was still wrong. She shouldn't have been interrogated or held by police for an hour or whatever it is, but a word should have been had with her parents. It's pretty unacceptable for a thirteen year old to think it's acceptable.

Your probably right, I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt here because as you've said and I've highlighted a 13 year old is an extension of the people around them, not their own person.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/02/thanks-a-lot-racists-now-i-cant-boo-adam-goodes
First Dog on the Moon's take on Booing Adam Goodes:
1009.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/02/thanks-a-lot-racists-now-i-cant-boo-adam-goodes

NSW Parliament having their say and having a smack at Big Ed

CGiuUAPU8AM2rAk.jpg

So Jetta doesn't realise that Goodes is getting booed because he's a dirty campaigner and not because he's Aboriginal?

While I'm sure there are some racist flogs out there, the rest of us aren't booing Goodes because of his skin colour.

So Jetta doesn't realise that Goodes is getting booed because he's a dirty campaigner and not because he's Aboriginal?

While I'm sure there are some racist flogs out there, the rest of us aren't booing Goodes because of his skin colour.
Now I'm tempted to boo Jetta for being an idiot.

I wonder if there's some projection with some clubs and their supporters.

Port having had a long and illustrious history with indigenous players, with much more involvement stretching to our SANFL days then many AFL clubs have had prior to the last 20-30 years, unless a racial taunt is heard we don't seem to jump up #racism! if an indigenous player of ours gets booed. I certainly don't remember us looking for racists under the bed when Wanganeen got booed most weeks, as Goodes / Sydney and his apologists do.

I wonder if there's some projection with some clubs and their supporters.

Port having had a long and illustrious history with indigenous players, with much more involvement stretching to our SANFL days then many AFL clubs have had prior to the last 20-30 years, unless a racial taunt is heard we don't seem to jump up #racism! if an indigenous player of ours gets booed. I certainly don't remember us looking for racists under the bed when Wanganeen got booed most weeks, as Goodes / Sydney and his apologists do.

Burgoyne gets booed, Ryder gets booed #notracist.

Goodes gets booed #needtoREPRESENT!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do people boo Selwood or Steve Johnson? I think you'll find there are plenty of players that play dirtier than Goodes but don't get the hate he does.

Racism isn't something limited to "bad individuals" like many on big footy seem to think.

Do people boo Selwood or Steve Johnson? I think you'll find there are plenty of players that play dirtier than Goodes but don't get the hate he does.

Racism isn't something limited to "bad individuals" like many on big footy seem to think.

Selwood and Johnson don't carry on like pork chops and play the victim if they get booed.

It is not racist to boo Adam Goodes because he's a campaigner.

We can just about back him leaving for Fremantle next season now. Can't see him playing for West Coast after that bulls*** he did yesterday.

Goodes gets booed because he is a champion of a worthy cause but doesn't feel the need to do it better and cleaner than the other guy because of it. I don't personally boo anyone, but Goodes should be aware that if you're gonna promote yourself as a paragon for social issues you need to at least be respected as playing the game fairly.

Because there are well known reasons these guys are booed and it's confined to the one club affected so why would there be any contention that there are racist undertones?

There aren't.

Footy Scenario - What would happen if one day at the footy a person sitting in the front row is eating a KFC or roasted chicken leg, and right in front of them Lewis Jetta or Adam Goodes gets a free kick that the supporter thinks isn't deserving of and in anger and by not knowing the specific of "to point the bone", stands up to express his anger while still holding in his hand the left over chicken leg bone. It's that going to be taken in the wrong way by Goodes or Jetta and complains to the AFL that a supporter ritually execute them with sorcery by pointing the bone at them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back