Why are we turning on our own after one loss????

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Seriously people we loose out first game to the best side in the competition and out come the snipers -wtf ?? Putting things into perspective we had an underdone mckevoy coming back, Stratton also underdone, shiels out which was a huge loss, lake, sewell and Spangher out.

To come out and start posts asking where hodge is at, Jordan Lewis being soft, and then my personal favourite having a crack a Cheney the new Tom Murphy is poor poor form IMO. According to some on this forum, sewells career is over and Roughead (reigning Coleman medallist) is no good.

Just a reminder, we are the reigning premiers - both afl and VFL, box hill had a great win over the cats on Saturday night. Hallahan looks the goods and looks a player, all of the above players will come back at some stag an dont forget the imminent return of the Jedi. We could well have potentially the best tagger in the league with Langford, Shoenmakers is not far away and could be the vital key forward we need.

Don't know about anyone else but I'm feeling pretty good about this year and think that we have a realistic chance of going back to back. Just think that it is poor form to start pointing the finger at players who have delivered us two premierships and bleed brown and gold so early in the season....

Because unfortunately people lose sight of the bigger picture and start to blame players. It all comes out, every bad thing player x has ever done is 10x worse after a loss. It was a team effort, the level of bad yesterday. We did barely anything we usually do, which was odd. Put it down to a poor performance across the board and move on.

I think most of know where randall boner is coming from so no need to get a grip. The game followed a simliar pattern where we could not control it for any length of time and when we did we wasted the opportunities. The same players seem to be at fault when this happens. It was pure "will" that got us over the line in the PF. To muster the same will for a regulations H&A game when even the coach is resting our premiership full back at Box hill says a lot more.

Yes. There has been a meltdown but I think it's just because it was to the Cats again. 4 and 1 after 5 rounds is not a bad start. It's only bloody April. Get a grip people.

Let's all just stick our heads in the sand and pretend that it never happened.

Yes, it is one loss but the way we got beaten is what is most alarming. And the fact that we are not learning from previous mistakes against this mob is also concerning.

But yeah, nah it never happened.:rolleyes:

Probably because we are sick of losing to Geelong...again!:)
Really? This is their first win against us since the last time we beat them.

People need to get a grip. I was disappointed we lost yesterday as we played very poorly for most of the game. I smiled the entire train ride home knowing that so many Cats fans on BF would be going feral over how they'd "extended the H&A streak" and "dominance over Hawthorn".

I think the Geelong supporter I overheard discussing the game with his Hawthorn mate on the train ride home summed it up best "it was good to get the win but I'd much prefer the 2 wins Hawthorn have had over us".

Considering all the injuries we had just prior to round 1 and knowing the injuries we would sustain since then I would've taken 4-1 prior to round 1 in a heart beat. 3-2 would've even been a tempting offer all things considered.

We're travelling fine.

Yes, it is one loss but the way we got beaten is what is most alarming. And the fact that we are not learning from previous mistakes against this mob is also concerning.

No one is denying there is an issue and that Chris Scott has got clarko's measure and robust discussion is great but to get personal with individual players is poor form - that's the issue IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is denying there is an issue and that Chris Scott has got clarko's measure and robust discussion is great but to get personal with individual players is poor form - that's the issue IMO

Ok then, just let me know which big games Jarryd Roughead has played well in?

I love the guy, but he is a sacred cow around here and I am wondering why?

Because we lose to the cats the same way every time and the same so called leaders are the first to go missing.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Save Sam Mitchell who never lowers his colours, our senior players were woeful.

Easy to beat up on the minnows, but games like yesterday's are where you earn your money.

Really? This is their first win against us since the last time we beat them.

People need to get a grip. I was disappointed we lost yesterday as we played very poorly for most of the game. I smiled the entire train ride home knowing that so many Cats fans on BF would be going feral over how they'd "extended the H&A streak" and "dominance over Hawthorn".

I think the Geelong supporter I overheard discussing the game with his Hawthorn mate on the train ride home summed it up best "it was good to get the win but I'd much prefer the 2 wins Hawthorn have had over us".

Considering all the injuries we had just prior to round 1 and knowing the injuries we would sustain since then I would've taken 4-1 prior to round 1 in a heart beat. 3-2 would've even been a tempting offer all things considered.

We're travelling fine.

That was last year mate
We were outplayed last night, you can keep cuddling your prelim DVD all you like

I have no problem treating these losses like a big deal because they are. It cheapens the wins. I honestly couldn't give a s**t about the next 17 weeks because ultimately they all mean nothing when we keep losing to Geelong. I normally enjoy footy and enjoy watching us. Since the 2011 qualifying final it really has felt like passing time waiting for the occasional shot at redemption against Geelong. All the wins in between have lacked any great meaning because there's really nothing we can prove running up 130 points a week against inferior teams.

I found last year's home and away season to be a joyless journey, albeit with a great final destination. Mainly because the entire discussion was framed around us being underachievers if we didn't win. Win or be remembered as failures, very nearly a no-win situation. The sad reality is our win against Geelong in the prelim was a fluke no matter which way you spin it. We got lucky that they were arrogant enough to take Freo lightly at home in the first final and had to play the four extra quarters against Port. And even with the advantage of a week's rest we only just fell over the line.

So we got two premierships, one less than geelong through their arrogance ? Refer whet mooney said when he missed that sitter at half time in 08 he was more intersted in going the biff at half time it has a very 89 ring to it

Ok then, just let me know which big games Jarryd Roughead has played well in?

I love the guy, but he is a sacred cow around here and I am wondering why?

None that I can recall and I said that in the match day thread and yes you have to ask why and then how can that be fixed - I also believe that at this stage he has some credits and hopefully he and the club are working with him to sort through it - am I holding my breath - no, but quality forwards who are as flexible in positions as roughy are, are hard to come by so I'm prepared to take the good with the bad rather than see him go to another club.

Clarko also needs to take some responsibility though and yesterday maybe an earlier stint in the midfield would have changed his mindset - who knows, past history now

That was last year mate
We were outplayed last night, you can keep cuddling your prelim DVD all you like
Alrighty then so anything that has happened in past seasons is off limits? It's just all the more embarrassing that people are acting like this then.

Without blaming Cheney (he fought valiantly against a much bigger and stronger opponent) the game was lost with the Hawkins/Cheney matchup. If Lake was in and fit then I reckon we would've won that. There were other areas of weaknesses but that is the one that stood out as the most easy to fix.

This!!!

I'm not turning on my club, in fact I think we're the second best team in the competition.
I will however only judge our players against the few good teams we come up against through out the year. More than ever the league is full or rubbish, you can't take much from those games but the 4 points.

This is when our players can be rated and we get a real sense of where we're at and improvements that are required. Unfortunately it's the same old story once again. Roughy should have stayed at home, rioli goes missing, suckling looked soft and Hodge appears to offer leadership only.

Nobody hates these players, I just don't care if Suckling kills off weaker teams by foot, Hodge gets 30+ against the Gold Coast, Roughy kicks 50+ for the season but goes missing in the big games.
Geelong are the opposite, some of their players are fairly average through-out the season but lift against us while our stars go missing.

Last edited:
We need to throw the kitchen sink at dangerfield.

Can't allow him to end up at geelong.

So how does dangerfield change yesterday's loss or is it just so he doesn't end up at Geelong

Alrighty then so anything that has happened in past seasons is off limits? It's just all the more embarrassing that people are acting like this then.

Without blaming Cheney (he fought valiantly against a much bigger and stronger opponent) the game was lost with the Hawkins/Cheney matchup. If Lake was in and fit then I reckon we would've won that. There were other areas of weaknesses but that is the one that stood out as the most easy to fix.

I don't know if we would have with Lake. Maybe Hawkins kicks 2 less goals and we go down by 1 goal. No point talking about what ifs, that belongs to Geelong supporters who still talk about the 2008 Grand Final and the 2013 Prelim.

Simple fact is that we have lost what, 12 out of our last 13 games against Geelong and were very lucky that last years PF wasn't a loss too, so therefore holding on to that win is your prerogative
Fact is that they have our measure and all the " we win when it matters " crap is just that, pure bullshit
It doesn't mean we are eating our own at all, but if you are content on last night then that's up to you
Lake would not have made much difference at all, honestly we were very lucky to be so close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back