Why aren't Shorten and the ALP doing better now?

Remove this Banner Ad

... or slapping a 400% tax increase on Beam and Coke then spinning it as an "Alcopops" tax to give the impression they give a stuff about 16 year old girls drinking Vodka Cruisers?

What's worse than Gillards lie? :)

Let's see now.

Having a policy to make people pay to see the doctor, however small that fee is. Want to know what the end result of that will be? Less people seeking medical attention, leading to higher mortality rates. Genius. He supports people dying.

Having a policy that actually makes it harder to get into university to begin with supporting loaded university vice-chancellors and their quest to have even more money.

Treating the Australian workforce with contempt with policies like having no local car industry, potentially causing the loss of nearly 100000 jobs (both vehicle manufacturing and component manufacturing), importing submarines from overseas and not supporting the local shipbuilding industry..not to mention the relentless pursuit of award and enterprise bargaining removal from industrial relations laws.

I could think of more but those 3 explain it well enough.

Under the current Government and it's policy manifesto, the country is suffering and it is embarrassing.

Let's see now.

Having a policy to make people pay to see the doctor, however small that fee is. Want to know what the end result of that will be? Less people seeking medical attention, leading to higher mortality rates. Genius. He supports people dying.

Having a policy that actually makes it harder to get into university to begin with supporting loaded university vice-chancellors and their quest to have even more money.

Treating the Australian workforce with contempt with policies like having no local car industry, potentially causing the loss of nearly 100000 jobs (both vehicle manufacturing and component manufacturing), importing submarines from overseas and not supporting the local shipbuilding industry..not to mention the relentless pursuit of award and enterprise bargaining removal from industrial relations laws.

I could think of more but those 3 explain it well enough.

Under the current Government and it's policy manifesto, the country is suffering and it is embarrassing.
I like the one that unemployment is so high because Victoria and Qld refuse to build roads.:drunk:
BTW highest unemployment figures for over 12 years.

Having a policy to make people pay to see the doctor, however small that fee is.

How terrible. What a bastard to think people would have to contribute to their own health in some tiny way, making the health care system sustainable and creating a dissensentive for lonely people visiting the doctor for a chat

Having a policy that actually makes it harder to get into university .

Yep more professional students! Dumb people who inexplicable gain university entry then sit there, jumping between courses but never completing them. Or worse, repeating units over and over, (eventually passing them by rote) finally gaining their Arts degree after 10 years and working their way up to 3Ic at a McDonalds store

Treating the Australian workforce with contempt with policies like having no local car industry, potentially causing the loss of nearly 100000 jobs (both vehicle manufacturing and component manufacturing),.

I totally get how you think this is all Abbotts fault.

importing submarines from overseas and not supporting the local shipbuilding industry)

Yes governments should subsidise industries that produce lemons at massive expense. After all its only our taxes getting pissed against the wall

not to mention the relentless pursuit of award and enterprise bargaining removal from industrial relations laws.)

Yes high wages have nothing to do with manufacturing job losses such as in the car industry demise. It had nothing to do with that, Tony did it.

How terrible. What a bastard to think people would have to contribute to their own health in some tiny way, making the health care system sustainable and creating a dissensentive for lonely people visiting the doctor for a chat

Is that the reality? Geez in all my visits with doctors for my various health problems, seeing the doctor is vital. To ensure I can access the medication I need to survive. That's the reality for the entire population.

Yep more professional students! Dumb people who inexplicable gain university entry then sit there, jumping between courses but never completing them. Or worse, repeating units over and over, (eventually passing them by rote) eventually gaining their Arts degree before joining the dole queue or working their way up to 3Ic at a McDonalds store

By having capacity to pay as a determining factor, thousands of students, who have earned their way through getting great marks, would miss out. Great dis-incentive that.

I totally get how you think this is all Abbotts fault.
Yes governments should subsidise industries that produce lemons at massive expense. After all its only our taxes getting pissed against the wall. Yes high wages have nothing to do with manufacturing job losses such as in the car industry demise. It had nothing to do with that, Tony did it.

By talking down the economy and talking down the car industry for more than a decade, the policies of the current Government and the previous Coalition Government before that, have seen jobs go slowly from the industry but by 2017, they will all go. Contrast this to the approach of Kim Carr who consulted with the industry itself in his time as Industry Minister.

This current Government does not consult widely enough. On higher education policy, don't just talk to vice-chancellors, talk to students current and future. On industry policy, consult with the workforce and the owners, not just the H R Nicholls Society. On asylum seekers, consult Save The Children, Amnesty international etc. On Environment policy, consult with the Wilderness Society and Greenpeace.

Someone's never heard of the Medicare Levy.

Is that the reality? Geez in all my visits with doctors for my various health problems, seeing the doctor is vital. To ensure I can access the medication I need to survive. That's the reality for the entire population.

This current Government does not consult widely enough. .

Geez this Gument doesnt even talk to their backbench! Why would they talk to anyone else? Except maybe archbishop Pell:rolleyes:

I do, and I'd like to think that doesn't have to keep rising at 3-4 times the rate of inflation
Well you wouldn't have known it from your post.

The ML means that many people already "contribute to their own health in some tiny way".

I was under the impression that they don't need the ALP to pass legislation in the senate if they can get the support of the cross bench. Perhaps they might try negotiating with PUP etc? Is there a reason that won't work?

In a word, Abetz. Can you imagine having Erica as lead negotiator and not wanting him to leave the room 5 minutes before he entereed?

It's more to do with the Libs inability to negotiate. Labor faced a hostile senate for many years yet in terms of passing legislation Gillard was one of the most productive PMs in history.

Masses of legislation isn't a sign of productivity. The ALP caved in to green demands to get legislation passed. Australia was poorer for it. Not only that but it killed the ALP vote. Numerous commentators made the point it was an electorally damaging strategy and they were right. Those of the left were going to vote green anyway and most others were appalled at the ALP being dragged so far from the centre (same argument gets made re Turnbull, ie he may be popular with ALP voters but they wont necessarily switch because he is leader, meanwhile he loses conservative voters, as per Cameron in the UK)

Presumably the Libs overestimated their ability to get on with PUP?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's a likely replacement for Shorten when the Labor Party finally realise that he's a dud?

I just don't get people who say free visits to the doctors.
For example, my clinic only bulk bills children and pensioners.
For everybody else you pay $38.00, so not sure where the free comes in.

If I visit my regular GP I have to pay $38 on top of the Medicare contribution. If I can't get in there I can go down the road to a practise that offers Bulk Billing. My understanding is that the government was proposing a $7 charge, later reduced to $5, now scrapped altogether.

A small contribution for each patient visit was entirely reasonable but it's gone now and there's another $900 million from the budget left to find by taxpayers.

If I visit my regular GP I have to pay $38 on top of the Medicare contribution. If I can't get in there I can go down the road to a practise that offers Bulk Billing. My understanding is that the government was proposing a $7 charge, later reduced to $5, now scrapped altogether.

A small contribution for each patient visit was entirely reasonable but it's gone now and there's another $900 million from the budget left to find by taxpayers.
Co-payment was going to a medical research fund wasn't it?

Fairly obvious i woulda thought.
Abbott has never been a popular minister, opp leader, or PM...chicks just dont like the guy for starters...lousy orator and all the charisma of an oily skidmark etc etc etc...we all know that....but you only need look at the front bench sitting opposite to see what actual and obvious failure looks like.
If its accurate and say 49-51 at the moment it would mean a reasonably comfy win to the coalition if an election was called. Abbott nearly won in 2010 with a shithouse popularity rating...and walked in an election victory whilst still not being popular. It scares the bejeezus out of all card carrying comrades when they realise that if it wasnt for the current PM being a poor uninspiring orator the ALP would be in absolute oblivion.They pretend they dont see it...they desperately argue and pretend it aint so. We all know its true though.

The country might be stupid but it aint blind. It can see the likes of Shorten and Bowen just sitting there. Bowen in particular being a massive liability as a known failure and career pollie. In the same way you can see Tanya looking like a sook ready to cry at any moment, Conroy is an absolute laughing stock, Sir Lunchalot Albo simply went to lunch for 6 yrs, and Burke is about the only one that MIGHT be able to hold his head up.

Then you have it lead by a bloke with even less charisma than Abbott...and far less credibility. Shorten is seen as a backstabbing unionist that wouldnt have a clue how to manage a paper round...its all just sitting there staring at the nation. Abject failure on display.

Everyone knows the nation simply sees the alternative as far worse....not much point denying it. It is the biggest issue the ALP need to conquer to have even a slight chance at the next election.

Those who cannot see the bleeding obvious need to get out of their mums basement for a moment, and go join the real world and talk to actual taxpayers in the street. BTW...there arnt that many taxpayers left so please show some respect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back