Why do all the clubs want Peel Thunder out of the league?

• Thread starter Thunder Boy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Remove this Banner Ad

T

Thunder Boy

All the other participating clubs in the Westar competition want to see Peel Thunder eliminated for the simple reason that they are scared.

We (as in the P.T.F.C.) are the only club to run an operating profit, have the best junior development program in the state and are building up quite healthy senior sides.

All the other clubs are worried about the power that the club will exhibit power on the competition that the others will not be able to compete with for many years.

I am a 16 year old who is part of the club and am trainig with the senior boys at the moment and it will be quite sad if my club was to be destroyed. A lot of talented young players will no longer play at Westar level for the simple reason that the travel is too far and they now have a resistance built towards other clubs.

I am just 1 of the many people that does not wish too see Peel eliminated from the competetion and at 16 can already see the reasons behind the aim of removing us from the competition. Why not Perth? The finished below us on the league ladder winning just 1 game. Part of the argument is that we do not have a successful league side. What about Perth?

We will see what happens and as most people that have a vision for the future can see, Peel Thunder need to remain in the competition. As I read somewhere" why remove Peel who cater for much of the South-West of the State while clubs in Fremantle have a lot less area to cover.

The arguments in favour stack well in favour of my football club as far as I can see. We will survive and then you may start to realise what a mistake it was to try and remove us from the competition.

Fight hard and we will suceed boys!

Michael Cross

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Thunder - people are complaining about Peels senior side's results of the season, but there is great potential for the Thunder. They made some improvements this season and the results from the reserves and colts side show there is a bright future for the club.

Recruiting Derek Hall will be a huge bonus for you guys in 2001, I hope it all goes well
smile.gif

Bloodstained Angel

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2000
Sydney, Nsw, Australia
Decentralisation away from the traditional power bases of Central Perth and Fremantle just has to be the way to go for WA Footy.

Long live Peel, and lets have a team or two playing out of places like Albany and Karratha too !

cheers

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
mud n blood yep thats right. Perth was 9th place on the Westar ladder in 2000 with only 1 win (maybe they should link up with St Kilda?) whilst Peel was 8th but with more wins and an improvement from their previous seasons in the competition.

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Well spotted Mobbenfuhrer! The WAFC (West Australian Football Commission) has decided that tradition wins at the end of the day and will revert back to the 'WAFL' for 2001.

pacemaker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
peel are an up and coming side but lets hope for their sake it doesn't take as long as the dockers who still haven't made it

Unfortunally it has. Peel are yet to make the finals (League) in the WAFL since being formed in 1997. Makes you think how much longer is it going to take?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Karl70

Draftee
Sep 29, 2008
England
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Central Bulldogs
Unfortunally it has. Peel are yet to make the finals (League) in the WAFL since being formed in 1997. Makes you think how much longer is it going to take?

How long did it take Hawthorn, Footscray and North Melbourne when they got "promoted" to the VFL in the 20's? 15-20 years?

I see the Peel Thunder colts are in the finals again and won yesterday, gotta be a sign of hope and a reason to give them time. :)

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
How long did it take Hawthorn, Footscray and North Melbourne when they got "promoted" to the VFL in the 20's? 15-20 years?

I see the Peel Thunder colts are in the finals again and won yesterday, gotta be a sign of hope and a reason to give them time. :)

Peel's problem has never being developing talent. Of the WAFL clubs only the Sharks have more draftees.

However all of Peel's good colts players get drafted.

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
How long did it take Hawthorn, Footscray and North Melbourne when they got “promoted” to the VFL in the 20's? 15-20 years?

It took Footscray – the only one who could have been economically viable in the league and as it was North’s co-admission affected their ability build up a supporter base and patrons – thirteen years to make the finals in the seniors and nine in the reserves. North Melbourne took 20 years to make the finals in the seniors and 22 in the reserves.

Hawthorn
, from a district where businessmen were hostile to professionalism in sport and consequently a club devoid of patrons and money to compete with the “big three” (Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond - later Essendon and Geelong) for country and interstate recruits, took thirty-one seasons to make the finals in any grade! By that time (1956) the VFL had via sharing of finals revenue and direct payments invested a lot of money to prevent Hawthorn (and North too) from folding and to make them viable. Without that, Hawthorn would never have risen above a 21.27 percent long-term winning percentage (as they had from 1925 to 1953) no matter how long they existed in the league. There simply was not the support for football in their local district to get enough money for recruiting enough players of the requisite ability, and a noncompetitive local culture that accepted losers did not help either. Hawthorn’s Under-19s did not play finals until 1969, by when the country zoning gerrymander that produced Hawthorn’s dominance in the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s was in place.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back