Why do people care more about the muslims in gaza than those being persecuted elsewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's to do with the relentless news cycle. Whatever sells. If it bleeds, all the better.

Forgive me for answering a question with a question.

Why does the US give multi billions of dollars every year to Israel, and not to other countries in the Middle East? And why, along with the UK and Australia, does the US continue to give unequivocal political support to Israel?

Grasshopper, when you have answered these questions, then you may find the answers to your own.

Israel needs to be able to defend itself. There's 15 other countries in its immediate vicinity that want to wipe it off the face of the Earth.

If the other countries put down their guns there would be no more war, if Israel put down its guns there would be no more Israel.

Israel needs to be able to defend itself. There's 15 other countries in its immediate vicinity that want to wipe it off the face of the Earth.

If the other countries put down their guns there would be no more war, if Israel put down its guns there would be no more Israel.

Let's suppose your scenario is true. Why does the US, UK and Australia governments care, much more than they do over other disputes the OP is asking us about?

Let's suppose your scenario is true. Why does the US, UK and Australia governments care, much more than they do over other disputes the OP is asking us about?

Who knows. My guess is that it's beneficial for them to have a stable, reliable ally in the Middle East, given it's such a volatile area.

Who knows. My guess is that it's beneficial for them to have a stable, reliable ally in the Middle East, given it's such a volatile area.

It's a stable, reliable state because of the massive financial and political support they have given it. Why do they give huge support to this Middle Eastern state and not others?

It's a stable, reliable state because of the massive financial and political support they have given it. Why do they give huge support to this Middle Eastern state and not others?

probably because every time they have tried to support other countries in the region it's bit them in the arse.

syria 1949
iran 1953
iraq 1960-63
turkey 1980
afghanistan 1979-89

Amusing how the usual suspects are conveniently ignoring this one.

Back in 2001-2004 I lived with an Israeli housemate in a flat otherwise filled with dope smoking French kidults and other likely types to instinctively revile Israel. This guy smoke dope with the best of them- as did his Israeli mates when they came round for parties. When the invasion of Iraq was on the cards all he'd say was: don't. It'll be a disaster. They will just end up killing each other. All the Israelis agreed on that point.

Because all of them had served time in the IDF. All of them. Kids just like anyone else in that West London flat - except these dope-smoking liberals had all spent time as part of tank crews; or infantry or whatever was demanded of them. And they hated it. Because by 2002 most young Israelis had concluded that if the peace movement of 2000 didn't work then nothing would.

I also used to "expect more of Israel". A lot more. I used to despair about how Israel was losing the PR war... How the incursion into Jenin was made into a MASSACRE when it was actually Israel taking casualties it didn't need to. How Sharon withdrew from Gaza - and the International community let Hamas turn it into a prison. I remember making this argument: Israel just needs to give in - and if they're attacked take the hit and win back some sympathy.

That was when I realised how ****ed everything is. How on earth could I suggest to anyone: let yourself be attacked because it'll be good PR.

And that's when I realised: Israel is a Western Democracy. And they've coped a hell of a lot better under much worse conditions - than any other Western democracy when attacked...

But maybe one day they'll come to believe they have no choice but to be the Nazi, apartheid state they're accused of being.

What a win that will be...

because you live in a western nation and israel being "western" is of course going to attract the most media attention.
it has nothing to do with a heirachy of conflict based on religion,number of casualties.

indonesians routinely slaughter west papuans and i've never heard anything about that despite it happening in our 'neighbourhood'

indonesians routinely slaughter west papuans and i've never heard anything about that despite it happening in our 'neighbourhood'

Because its politically inconvenient to hear about it, particularly when its a major trading partner like Indonesia. The sad reality is no one cares about those conflicts unless they have vested interest in them, the only reason people give a s**t about Gaza now is because it sells stories.

Given the US has given the green light to airstrikes in Northern Iraq yet are pro-Israel regardless of Gazan death toll, I'd suggest the opposite to the proposition in the OP is in fact true: many people are indifferent to the suffering of Gazans yet will support military action in Iraq (& years ago, Kuwait) in the name of "peacekeeping" and "democracy"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the US has given the green light to airstrikes in Northern Iraq yet are pro-Israel regardless of Gazan death toll, I'd suggest the opposite to the proposition in the OP is in fact true: many people are indifferent to the suffering of Gazans yet will support military action in Iraq (& years ago, Kuwait) in the name of "peacekeeping" and "democracy"

Do you not feel bad for the Mosul Christians and that minority group stuck in the mountain range? I think the US is doing the right thing here.

Do you not feel bad for the Mosul Christians and that minority group stuck in the mountain range? I think the US is doing the right thing here.
Of course I do - why on earth would you even question that?

Okay, good, that just wasn't the impression I got from your post :)
There are a myriad of groups throughout the Middle East that deserve protection - even in stories largely represented as positive in the Western Media there are people who are facing increased levels of persecution as a result of recent events, e.g. the Arab Spring and the new challenges Coptics face in Egypt

Israel was founded on terrorism and war.

Hardly a beacon of democracy.

Why do people march out against and condemn Israel for their alleged breach of human rights in Gaza when we know there are other atrocities happening in other islamic countries perpetrated my islamic militants on much larger scales?

There are over 160,000 Syrians that have died in their own civil war in the last 2 years. People have been beheaded publicly in the last 2 weeks but nothing said about this on a comaprable scale to israel and gaza.

There have been more beheadings in Iraq and ISIS have shot unarmed persons in cold blood to further their own religious cause. They told a man he would not be shot if he converted to islam by repeating a piece of dialogue (prayer?) which he did. for his token conversion, which he did to save his own life, he had his throat slit and was beheaded alive. Dont believe me? the video is out there.

What about Boko Haram? whilst on a much smaller scale these religious fanatics kidnapped and murdered children by slitting their throats.

you may not agree with what israel is doing but they are not seeking the barbaric mass murder and destruction of other people based on their religion and this is a topic to be discussed in other threads already open.

so stick to the topic and discuss:

Why is there a bigger focus on Israels conflict with Gaza when there are even larger (religious) atrocities being committed elsewhere?
I put it down to the obvious inequity of Israels existence, the fact that it's been like that for 60 odd years and that our Government supports it. One almost expects terrorist organisations to commit atrocities, but not Democratic states.

Then of course there is the fact that a huge swathe of the worlds population believe Israel is an illegitimate state, set up ad hoc by the allied victors to conveniently relieve themselves of the burden of European Jewry at the expense of the existing inhabitants of the area...yes,some of them of the jewish faith.

You don't hear about that because it's a situation created by the left. They don't feel responsible for what's happening in Gaza, so they feel free to blame Israel. But the people most to blame for Indonesians slaughtering Papuans are the Labor party under Whitlam. Crickets.

I put it down to the obvious inequity of Israels existence, the fact that it's been like that for 60 odd years and that our Government supports it. One almost expects terrorist organisations to commit atrocities, but not Democratic states.

Then of course there is the fact that a huge swathe of the worlds population believe Israel is an illegitimate state, set up ad hoc by the allied victors to conveniently relieve themselves of the burden of European Jewry at the expense of the existing inhabitants of the area...yes,some of them of the jewish faith.

I think it should read........
set up ad hoc by the allied victors to conveniently relieve themselves of the burden of guilt to allow European Jewry to be slaughtered ....

Pretty simple really.

Israel is a western democracy.

As such I expect better of them.

Israel is not a secular Western democracy. It is a Jewish (Zionist) state, ie an ethnocracy, with some democratic functions.

The Knesset Presidium shall not approve a bill that in its opinion denies the existence of the State of Israel as the state of the Jewish People.​

http://www.knesset.gov.il/rules/eng/ChapterG2.pdf

Israel exists in a 63 year state of emergency which allows the government to use undemocratic powers and circumvent normal laws.

Last edited:
The left don't actually care about the lives lost, they just use it as an excuse to release their imprinted hatred of Jews and Christians.

Muslims killing Muslims = Who Cares
Muslims killing Christians = Who Cares
Muslims killing Jews = Who Cares
Christians killing Muslims = Outrage!!!!
Jews killing Muslims = Unfathomable outrage.

Nailed it good sir

Minority left wing groups and causes such as gay rights groups and feminists tend to align themselves with other minority groups. This is why you'll never see gay rights and feminst groups criticising Islam, yet both will openly criticise Christianity with no problems.
So basically it's all the fault of the gays, the feminists and the Muslims?
Seems about right.
because you live in a western nation and israel being "western" is of course going to attract the most media attention.
it has nothing to do with a heirachy of conflict based on religion,number of casualties.

Yeah but Indonesia is a Western democracy and it should have the right to defend itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back