Why Do We Have A Batting Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

I asked this question in the match thread.

It's not to help batsmen sort out technical defects (see Shane Watson).
It's not to help our batsmen adjust to overseas wickets and bat accordingly (see how our batsmen have performed in this test).
It's not to get our batsmen to treat opposition bowlers with respect (see Ali's wickets this test match).
It's not to get our batsmen to bat responsibly and/or value their wicket (again, see how our batsmen have performed in this test).

So why do we have a batting coach?

Because we clearly need one. Regularly 5 for **** all!

The question should be do we have the right batting coach.
These problems exist no matter who the batting coach is though.

What's the job description, to piss in the players' pockets?

Maybe we do need a long hard look at ourselves like England appear to have done but it's evident we need one though. Are the players being coached in the right manner at shield level? or are they getting poor coaching once they get to the Australian set up?

do Test players not know how to occupy the crease and grind out an innings if necessary? Has ODI and T20 cricket saturated the landscape so much that the modern day cricketers instincts are to hit their way out of trouble and there's no Plan B (which was to rotate the strike in the old days)?

do Test players not know how to occupy the crease and grind out an innings if necessary? Has ODI and T20 cricket saturated the landscape so much that the modern day cricketers instincts are to hit their way out of trouble and there's no Plan B (which was to rotate the strike in the old days)?
Pretty much.

The Aussies like to pick dashers though.

For example, I reckon that Cameron Bancroft who is playing for Aus A and loves a good leave more than any other shot is going to be pushed to be more attacking now he is in the Aus fringe set-up. Langer has left him alone but I feel that type of pressure is coming.

I asked this question in the match thread.

It's not to help batsmen sort out technical defects (see Shane Watson).
It's not to help our batsmen adjust to overseas wickets and bat accordingly (see how our batsmen have performed in this test).
It's not to get our batsmen to treat opposition bowlers with respect (see Ali's wickets this test match).
It's not to get our batsmen to bat responsibly and/or value their wicket (again, see how our batsmen have performed in this test).

So why do we have a batting coach?
Shane Watson is a stubborn prick who doesn't like being told what to do and won't listen anyway, so drop him for Marsh and problem solved.

This is a problem for every test playing nation we are no different, only the absolute elite batsmen can do it. Clarke is one the way down and Smith still has a lot to learn about playing away from Australian pitches.

No coach can actually bat for the players and players will always go out to some dumb shots. Hopefully they learn and treat him with a bit more respect in the 2nd test.

Batsmen who can graft an innings, occupy the crease for long periods or be willing to be patient with the opposition strike bowler are very, very rare in world cricket. We don't even see them in FC, they can't be coached to do it, you either can or you can't and with the way they come through the system it will be harder to make it to the top if you play that way now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Watson is a stubborn prick who doesn't like being told what to do and won't listen anyway, so drop him for Marsh and problem solved.

This is a problem for every test playing nation we are no different, only the absolute elite batsmen can do it. Clarke is one the way down and Smith still has a lot to learn about playing away from Australian pitches.

No coach can actually bat for the players and players will always go out to some dumb shots. Hopefully they learn and treat him with a bit more respect in the 2nd test.

Batsmen who can graft an innings, occupy the crease for long periods or be willing to be patient with the opposition strike bowler are very, very rare in world cricket. We don't even see them in FC, they can't be coached to do it, you either can or you can't and with the way they come through the system it will be harder to make it to the top if you play that way now.
That just reinforces my point I guess.

They are going to do what they want, so why the need for a batting coach?

What the hell does a batting coach actually do?

That just reinforces my point I guess.

They are going to do what they want, so why the need for a batting coach?

What the hell does a batting coach actually do?
Enjoy travelling around the world expenses paid for 4 months of the year avoiding his wife.

Thinking about it that way I need to get myself the job.

Langer was no better. We managed 9/21 under his guidance. :cool:

Meanwhile put him in WA and there was near universal improvement.

Maybe our coaches, captain and selectors can stop worshiping the altar of aggressiveness?

They all want to be Ponting without realising that Ponting could bat to the circumstances when the circumstances demanded it.

Cameron Bancroft fits the mold.

Meanwhile put him in WA and there was near universal improvement.

Maybe our coaches, captain and selectors can stop worshiping the altar of aggressiveness?

They all want to be Ponting without realising that Ponting could bat to the circumstances when the circumstances demanded it.
Nailed it.

Bat as the circumstances dictate. As all test batsmen should be able to. They are, after all, the elite.

Some of these blokes like Haddin need a physiatrist aswell as a batting coach..

Oh, don't get me started. The amount of people who justify Haddin's complete lack of brain with bat in hand by saying "that's how Gilly played!" is a joke. He'd bat how the situation required him to, can't say the same for Haddin the last 24 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back