NFL Why do You Support the Team You Support?

Remove this Banner Ad

I picked the Steelers after five-six years of passively following/ studying the game from the mid 80's … couldn't take the Niners in their 80's heyday… besides Red wasn't my colour anyway.. and what TIMING to pick the Steelers… the roller-coaster season of '89.. started with an absolute TRAIN-WRECK (smashed/ shut out by the Browns 51-0 @ Three Rivers followed by a shellacking to the Bengals (41-10)… how the Steelers made the play-offs was totally amazing!! I was forever INTRIGUED by the NFL's play-off format back in the day… all the talk of 'Cinderella team' was just too good to miss out on.

NOTE: Each of the Steelers Division rivals in the AFC Central were winning/ sharing the division title dating back to '85.. and I was oblivious about their 70's dominance.. so it just shows I wasn't a bandwagoner… even got to meet the late and great Don Lane. :thumbsu: (can't recall now what he said at a book signing in the city near my place of work but he was snickering at me as I presented myself in my Steelers letterman jacket).

Well - I do like Tigers - Yellow/Orange & Black - No other colours go better together. (a lot to do with why I go for Bengals now and have a long time), but they wasn't always my favourite team, The Bengals were a close second to

St Louis Cardinals - As a kid in the early 80's I lived in St. Louis for a few years. Loved going and watching the Cardinals play. So when they left St. Louis Cincinatti became my team. The St. Louis Rams would be my 2nd team now, but not the same as the Cards to me.

I go for Mizzou more for it being Missouris main college - Its just lucky they are a Tiger team.

I don't go for all Tiger teams in U.S sport though.

MLB - Actually go for Phillies due to my favourite player (Mike Scmidt - 3rd baseman) played for Phillies. - Although loved going to Cardinals games and watching the Smith brothers play.

NBA - Detroit Pistons for no real reason, can't really get into it.

NHL - St. Louis Blues - what a great sport to watch live.

Good time to be a Bengals fan as well - They are improving at great knots, and are in no ways pushover this year.

Mizzou still my favourite U.S. team to watch though.

Got into an NFL tipping comp for shits and giggles at work, knew nothing about the sport. Started researching teams and decided to go with the Detroit Lions because I liked the colours but it was a token pick as I never watched a game of theirs. One day when just learning the game I was watching the Jets, and they were on a last minute game winning drive. I was genuinely cheering watching them, and then after watching some youtube clips of some classic Rex Ryan and whatnot I jumped on them and it has now stuck.

Started following the NFL in the early 90's and I follow the Bills. Not hard to figure out why.

Yes I got on a bandwagon then. But I've stayed on ever since despite them giving me many reasons to hop right off.

I was in year four, my mum was taking me home, she doesn't drive so we would take the 79 tram from Chapel st. There was a pawn shop not far from the tram stop and I noticed a Madden cover in the window. I was already into NBA and NHL games but I had never played an NFL game, so I begged my mum to buy it for me. It was like $25. Marshall Faulk was on the cover and so every game I played, I chose to play as the Rams and play as Marshall Faulk, and I gradually became a Rams fan over the next few years.

Although, to be honest, I don't really follow the team as closely as I could, and it doesn't help that my interest in the sport (and most foreign codes for that matter) has dwindled in recent years. I follow the league more than the team these days but I still feel a sense of loyalty and attachment to the Rams.

I would love if the Rams moved back to LA, because at the college level, I bandwagon'd Southern Cal around 2006/07, and I don't know, I would like both teams to be in the same city - they synergy.

Got given a Raiders jersey for x mas in about 1989 as a youngish lad....wondered what this sport was all about, bought an NFL almanac and looked up the history of the Raiders. Gave me a 'Port Adelaide' feeling, so was a good fit.

Now we have been s**t for a decade, but once we choose, no turning back.
Fck it :(

A decade? Lucky you. Try 2 decades.

I started watching football properly about 4 years ago. Not long after that I had a holiday in California, drove by the palace that is Qualcomm stadium, marvelled at the car park and the utterly pointless location of it and decided that the Chargers would be my team. That and I also spent a bit of time around SD County and loved the place. I love the fact that they really dont have that many fans, even in San Diego. I guess Im like that obnoxious twat who deliberately supports some random second division English soccer team because its hipster.

Its just a magical bonus that the great Philip Rivers is our leader.

I support the Ducks 5% because of the way they play and 95% because of the uniforms. Im not going to lie!

I encountered the NFL in the States in 1989 and it caught my interest, but I didn't know they showed it in Australia until I was channel surfing during the 1990 Grand Final and they were showing a (Giants-Cowboys ?) game.

At the end of the game they announced they show it every Tuesday night and I started to follow it regularly. As I started to follow the game I became a regular at Sports Bazaar and bought a pack of 1990 Score cards which had Don Warren and Jim Lachey in it. I liked the look of the helmet and colours so took an interest in them, plus I managed to find some Redskins merchandise that wasn't the standard 49ers/Raiders/Giants stuff and it evolved from there. I think they were on Don Lane a few weeks in a row which got me more familiar with them.

The following season I was rapt as we won Superbowl XXVI, and with Fitzroy going by the wayside later on I hoped I could have some joy through the Redskins. Enter Dan Snyder :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another one for this board, have we got atleast one supporter from each team? Any that arent represented?
I don't think we have any knowledgeable Giant fans.

I started following the Pats for the express reason of they were the shittest team in the NFL that season. Got interested when a mate of mine moved to Perth from the US, he and his family were from Philly so they support Da Iggles. We'd play Tecmo bowl on the NES and I'd read the magazines they'd get sent out from the States, back when people read magazines.

I decided to start following a team, chose the team with the worst record (Pats were 1-6) even at 9 years of age gloryhunting was something I disliked and the first game they played was against the Iggles, they got hammered about 50-14 or something like that. This was a time before Kraft, Belichick and Brady (Victor Kiam was the owner), the interim 24 years have been kind to me.

As I started to follow the game I became a regular at Sports Bazaar and bought a pack of 1990 Score cards which had Don Warren and Jim Lachey in it.

:thumbsu:

I bought sooooooooooooooooooooo many football cards in 89/90/91

1989 topps, 1990 score, 1990/1991 Pro Set

Still have most of them too. :)

I have been a Red Sox fan for about 10 years. Bought a Jersey of theirs at a market in Sydney and started getting into it around 2003..pretty lucky for me!

I had always watched the superbowl with mates but it was more just a drinking session than me liking the sport.

About 4 years ago I decided I better choose a side and thought I would keep it in the same area so chose New England ( I really had no idea how much they had been dominating their Division)

The sport then took over my life hahaha...I have started caring less about the Bombers and more about the Pats..Doesnt help that the last few years has been pretty crap being a Bombers fan

Spent a fair bit of time reading the history and watching all the glory days 2001,2003, 2004. I have even watched 08 SB to see what went wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back