Why do you support your chosen teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Been a little bit of debate on here regarding some bandwagoning going on with some peoples teams they support. Tell us why it is that way.

Adelaide Crows
I was a Crows and Kangaroos fan growing up. Carey Jarman and Modra were my favourites. When the Carey thing went down i was only 12 or something and didnt quite understand why the Kangaroos had to flick him. When he came to the Crows i got on them 100% and never looked back.

Green Bay Packers
Brett Favre. Basically the Packers were the first game of NFL i saw in 1997. Favre was a gunslinger and i loved watching him. Rodgers has carried this on for me.

New York Yankees
Derek Jeter. The Captain, Mr November. Everything a leader should be. Big game player. So loved the team. Obviously the Yankees success through the 90s especially meant that they were on TV more for me to see. But i loved what i saw in Jeter and to a lesser extent Pettite Rivera Martinez etc, so have stuck with them since.

Liverpool
Where my family originated from. And where the Beatles are from. Not a big Soccer fan but they are the team i "follow"

The top 3 especially and to a lesser extent the Reds are the only teams i take a real interest in. I use to like the NBA, but hate the Stars of today. And the Aussie Cricket Team for obvious reasons.
the F1s is my other fave sport but dont really follow a team or driver just the sport.

Adelaide Crows: Born and bred Adelaide. Dad was a hawks supporter in the VFL until the crows came in and I was on board from day 1. When we won the grand final in 97 I trekked down the road in my crows guernsey, scaled a traffic light pole and sat on the top while all the cars drove around with the club song blaring out of their radio and scarves out the window.

Charlotte Bobcats: Call me a glutton for punishment but I used to be a Charlotte Hornets fan and am really glad theyre going back to the Hornets next season. I used to follow the lakers but kinda lost interest when Shaq left. Now I really dislike them even though Kobe is one of my favourite players

Chelsea: One of my best mates in primary school was a first cousin of Roberto Di Matteo and this was around the time he kicked the winner in the FA cup final in the late 90s. I remember watching the game at his house with his big italian family and jumped on board.

South Sydney: Jumped on board when they returned to the fray - A real success story. Like the colours and the Rabbit logo. They look alright this year.

Redbacks/Strikers: The adelaide connection

In sports like baseball and gridiron I always change who im going for depending on certain players etc. I guess thats how you know which sports you're genuinely into and which you just follow for interests sake.

Central Districts: Born into a Centrals supporting family, and with a father who thought teaching me Centrals players names was higher priority than any other words of the English language it sorta stuck.

Adelaide Crows: Family were Hawthorn supporters pre-Crows (coming from being Centrals supporters and with John Platten at Hawthorn at the time they naturally followed Hawthorn) however once the Crows were in town, we all jumped on the local bandwagon.

Canterbury-Bankstown: Had a passing interest in the NRL courtesy of Fox Sports, but a couple of years ago Canterbury-Bankstown played a couple of matches at Adelaide Oval. The first one (in 2010), I was at Unley for a Sturt v Centrals match and decided to drop into Adelaide Oval to catch this match (against Melbourne). The club really tried to educate the fans on the history of Canterbury-Bankstown pre-match, followed by a tight match, and that was enough for me to start following them. Went along to the same match in 2011, but the Adelaide Oval redevelopment saw an end to these matches.

Pittsburgh Penguins: Followed the NHL loosely for years, with a token alignment to Anaheim from the Mighty Ducks movies. Then I watched the NHL 24/7 series that focused on the Pittsburgh/Washington Winter Classic match a couple of years ago, and I now have a more solid following of the Penguins. Subsequently, I also now follow the Steelers and Pirates.

Stopped following anyone in the NBA once Seattle left.

Adelaide: Born in '93 so grew up as an Adelaide supporter due to my parents. Never looked back.

West Adelaide: Mum supports the Bloods, Dad and sis support Sturt so decided to make it even for Mum :p

Arsenal: Thierry Henry was my favourite player as a young'un so only natural I followed the mighty Gunners. Followed them loosely from about 2002-2011 when we finally got Foxtel and I really got into the EPL. Many late nights/early mornings in the past 2 years have been spent riding the roller coaster that is supporting Arsenal.

Adelaide United: State connection, and I just love watching soccer.

Redbacks/Strikers: Obviously the state connection. Again, with fox been watching more RYOBI cup games etc and getting more involved in supporting them.

SANFL Eagles as my local team and before them Woodville.

AFL pre AFC North Melbourne because of M Blight. Hawthorn because of Dermie...

NRL used to go to any games here when I could and tried to get excited about the Adelaide Rams...

Adelaide Strikers local thing...

Adelaide United have been a member and was more interested in pre and post game beers.

Adelaide Bite local thing again and Mets due to Mike Piazza.

Central Districts: Born into a Centrals supporting family, and with a father who thought teaching me Centrals players names was higher priority than any other words of the English language it sorta stuck.

Adelaide Crows: Family were Hawthorn supporters pre-Crows (coming from being Centrals supporters and with John Platten at Hawthorn at the time they naturally followed Hawthorn) however once the Crows were in town, we all jumped on the local bandwagon.

Similar for me - my parents met in the Central Districts Cheer Squad, and Platten's family used to live down the road from my Nanna in Elizabeth ...

Crows
Born and bred South Aussie, old enough to remember the epicness of SoO. Crows were the once a week version of taking on the Vics with our own team. Was 13 and dad took me to the first game (practice match) against the bombers.

Sturt
Dad is a West Torrens Eagles fan, pictures of me as a kid wearing eagles guernsey/colours. ended up loving Double Blues simply because blue was my favourite colour:) (sorry dad:oops:)

36ers
Adelaide's basketball team, played basketball as a kid (still do). love the sport equally as much as i do footy (Vlad had better be careful or i'll reach my tipping point) still remember going to the epic Apollo Stadium to watch.

Seattle Supersonics
Shawn Kemp.

Any team that's playing Port
My uncle was a Norwood man, involved in the club heavily so i spent heaps of time there. My cousin used to tell me to be careful and not piss him off or he'd get Gary McIntosh to belt me....This period was very important for me in developing my hatred of all things black and white (and teal)

Crows
Born and bred South Aussie, old enough to remember the epicness of SoO. Crows were the once a week version of taking on the Vics with our own team. Was 13 and dad took me to the first game (practice match) against the bombers.

Sturt
Dad is a West Torrens Eagles fan, pictures of me as a kid wearing eagles guernsey/colours. ended up loving Double Blues simply because blue was my favourite colour:) (sorry dad:oops:)

36ers
Adelaide's basketball team, played basketball as a kid (still do). love the sport equally as much as i do footy (Vlad had better be careful or i'll reach my tipping point) still remember going to the epic Apollo Stadium to watch.

Seattle Supersonics
Shawn Kemp.

Any team that's playing Port
My uncle was a Norwood man, involved in the club heavily so i spent heaps of time there. My cousin used to tell me to be careful and not piss him off or he'd get Gary McIntosh to belt me....This period was very important for me in developing my hatred of all things black and white (and teal)

Knowing Gary like I do, he really would belt ya.
Great bloke, but likes a small amount of thuggery now and again.

Manchester United : My Grandad was from there and he was a huge part of my life.
Norwood: Born into a Passionaite Norwood family so I continue with the tradition.
Adelaide United: State team
Adelaide Crows: My mum was a pre hawthorn fan and dad was a pre North Melbourne fan. However both changed to AFC when they came in and I decided to follow AFC.
Pittsburgh Pirates: Started following baseball last year and the first game I watched was between Red Sox and Pirates. I liked Andrew McCutchen , Harrison and Mercer. Just continued watching their games haha.
Chicago Bears: Jay Cutler! I also have a hatred for the packers as well haha

Adelaide Crows- I went to the hawthorn match in 91 with my dad and I was 3 my only memory was that I wanted more hot chips and dad said no so I chucked a tanty, also I guy named Modra was pretty freaking awesome.
Adelaide United- I'm Adelaide born I'm Adelaide bred we're United and we're off our head, where adelaide is that's well I'll be cos United is the team for me.
Huddersfield Town- my dad grew up in Huddersfield he got a trial with them when he was 16 before they moved to Australia
Liverpool- 1. Had a crush on Michael Owen 2. It was Mel C from the Spice Girls fav team so it was my fav team (we also share a birthday)
SF 49ers- the first NFL game I ever saw was a Cowboys 49ers game I liked that they wore gold pants...... been a fan ever since
Boston Celtics- the Garnett, Allen, Pierce & Rondo combination sold me...... I've stuck with them even though most of them left.
Nashville Predators- Taylor Swift did an ad for them...... it was funny...... I got on borad and to be honest they need the support

Crows: barracked for Woodville in the local and they merged with my most hated team, West Torrens, took the fun out of it. Needed a new football team, and having grown up on SoO in the 80's and early 90's (still got 1992 SoO on video tape, what a game) went for the local state team, the mighty Adelaide Crows.

Redbacks: local state.

Boston Redsox: partner and I love Boston, it's such a beautiful old place.

NY Giants: saw them play the Eagles at Metlife, great match (but they lost)

Salty Dolls: saw them in preseason a couple of years back and knew straight away they were the team that had their s**t together... then they won the flag.

Cricket: New Zealand & Australia... and NZ when they play Australia

Jo's Angels: greatest indoor cricket team of all time (that I play in currently).

Crows - Was 9 when they entered the AFL. Just seemed like the right thing to do to support the local team when they entered the national competition

North Adelaide Roosters - Uncle played reserves for them in the 80's. Born into a Roosters family

Redbacks - State team

Leeds Utd - Was a massive Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka Fan. Kinda stuck

Adelaide Rams (RIP) - Super League won me over. Went to every Rams home game. Was shattered when they were disolved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows and Glenelg are both linked together really.

We live in Glenelg and my Grandpa played about 15 games for Glenelg. Dad was a Bays supporter and that just transferred over to the Crows obviously.

I've been following football since I was about 4, can remember missing the 1st GF in 1997 due to a wedding and bringing a Portable TV to the wedding.

The rest, Adelaide United, Redbacks, all state association.

Adelaide Crows
Am a South Australian, lived most of my life here. Went to the first game. Fan from Day 1.

Sturt
Born into Sturt family. Also got to play for them in juniors.

Liverpool
Lived in England for a while and got to go to one soccer game... Liverpool at Anfield. Was sold immediately.

Redbacks/Strikers
As per Crows.

Don't really have any other teams. Never got into US sport.

Rugby league I suppose Parramatta Eels though I never watch. Went to one game ages ago and they were the away team and underdogs. Supported them that day and they won. And the Rams folded...

Also love the Pakistan cricket team. Most of my favourite players just happened to be Pakistani; Wasim Akram, Saqlain Mushtaq, Waqar Younis, Inzaman-ul-Haq, Saeed Anwar...

I'm a big follower of the EPL and NBA/NFL too, but never genuinely supported a team passionately. Have just never been able to get involved.

Decided to jump on board the Cleveland Browns, cause their 20 years of barren performances seems to link up well with the Crows current run. Plus the hilarity of the Johnny Football sideshow is also appealing.

We'll see how long this lasts.

Adelaide Crows
Am a South Australian, lived most of my life here. Went to the first game. Fan from Day 1.

Sturt
Born into Sturt family. Also got to play for them in juniors.

Liverpool
Lived in England for a while and got to go to one soccer game... Liverpool at Anfield. Was sold immediately.

Redbacks/Strikers
As per Crows.

Don't really have any other teams. Never got into US sport.

Rugby league I suppose Parramatta Eels though I never watch. Went to one game ages ago and they were the away team and underdogs. Supported them that day and they won. And the Rams folded...

Also love the Pakistan cricket team. Most of my favourite players just happened to be Pakistani; Wasim Akram, Saqlain Mushtaq, Waqar Younis, Inzaman-ul-Haq, Saeed Anwar...

What level? Did you ever get close to a reserves/league gig?

Adelaide Football Club: when you're brought up in the 70s and 80s hating everything Victorian, it's only natural you'll follow the Crows.

Glenelg FC: my grandfather followed them in 1921 when they came into the league, our family's been with them ever since.

East Perth FC: went on a family holiday to Perth, chose a footy team near the bottom and a side who was named something different to Adelaide teams. I think I'm the only person in Adelaide who is an East Perth member.

Cronulla Sharks in the NRL: lived in Sydney for a few years in the Shire (Sutherland, not Hobbiton) and before Cornesy's mate Steven Dank ruined everything.

New York Yankees: like the OP ... Derek Jeter.

Boston Red Sox: because I wanted to follow an underdog. Then they broke the Curse of the Bambino.

Kansas City Chiefs: just liked their helmet and uniform design.

Redbacks/Reds: just a local thing. In the case of the Redbacks, it's like jury duty.

Blackburn Rovers: picked them up in the 1990s when Alan Shearer joined them from Southampton. They won a title, then the prick moved to Newcastle, but I've stayed with the Rovers. They're back in the Championship after a few years playing teams called Dunny-on-the-Wold and Olde Medieval Town. Or at least it felt like it.

We live in Glenelg and my Grandpa played about 15 games for Glenelg. Dad was a Bays supporter and that just transferred over to the Crows obviously.

If you don't mind me asking - who was your grandfather or when did he play?

I don't follow any other sport nearly as much as I do with footy, closest is probably F1, but here are mine anyway.

Crows: Sort of didn't have a choice, started to take an interest in footy just after the Crows joined when i was 6 or 7. The hype was all about the Crows at that point (91/92), and with Mum and Dad and most of my school friends being into the Crows too I was happy to go along for the ride. Once Modra mania hit in 1993 i was definitely all in. Basically I've been Crows as long as i remember, don't ever remember actually choosing them.

Daniel Ricciardo. Solely because of the Aussie connection, but i don't feel as connected emotionally to him as I did with Mark Webber. Maybe because Webber's rise to the top took so much longer that it seemed like a true Aussie underdog story.

Sri Lanka (Cricket). In the early 2000's I grew sick of everything about the Aussie team. I started to take joy in seeing them lose because of how arrogant they (and most Aussie supporters) were. So I needed another team to back, my all time favourite is Sanath Jayasuriya, so i chose Sri Lanka. Will always have a soft spot for the Windies too, after growing up in the era of Ambrose, Walsh, Hooper, Lara.

Everything else i hardly follow, but do have "my" teams. As in, the teams I always choose when playing a video game, and like to see win even if i don't get to watch them much/at all.

Redbacks/Strikers. SA Pride.

Baltimore Ravens. Needed a team for Madden games, for a while I went with Miami Dolphins thanks to Ace Ventura. Then later on swapped to the Ravens after a) finding out Stacy Keibler used to be a cheerleader for them, b) seeing how much cooler black and purple look, and c) making the Raven/Crow connection. Miami are still my second team though.

LA Lakers. First NBA game I ever played was Lakers V Celtics on DOS. It had 8 teams total, but i figured i may as well pick one of the best two, and since the Celtics are lame i chose the Lakers to be my NBA team. So I've been on the Lakers since around 1990 but obviously when you tell someone the Lakers are your team you instantly get branded a bandwagoner. Never mind that i still stuck with the lakers in the mid-late 90's when everyone else in my school was either Magic or Bulls.

Calgary Flames. Needed a team for NHL games. Went through quite a few before settling on Calgary due to a) the Bret Hart connection, and b) the badass colours and logo.

Have no interest or allegiances in SANFL, MLB, Soccer, Rugby.

Blackburn Rovers: picked them up in the 1990s when Alan Shearer joined them from Southampton. They won a title, then the prick moved to Newcastle, but I've stayed with the Rovers. They're back in the Championship after a few years playing teams called Dunny-on-the-Wold and Olde Medieval Town. Or at least it felt like it.

Funny you mention that, I started supporting Newcastle as a young kid because of Shearer in about '00/'01. Our season in the championship was a bit more enjoyable then yours i take it.

Adelaide Crows: Dad is a diehard supporter, so i had no chance... i guess i can be slightly thankful i was born a couple of years after Woodville and West Torrens merged, so i dodged the Woodville bullet seeing all my family were diehards. With the teams i support, i don't need less sporting success in my life.

Colorado Rockies: Have some of my favorite players in Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzales, that was enough for me to take more than a passing interest.

Only three teams i take an active interest in. I'd say Woodville West Torrens as my SANFL side, but i'd be lying if i told you it was more than a bandwagon kind of thing... never felt a huge affiliation with the 2nd tier league, probably again due to that merger as my entire family (bar 1 who lives interstate) jumped off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back