Why do you support your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

My family were and still are a pretty staunch, tried, and tested Aussie Rules family (working class, city-dwelling Anglo-Australian) and my first foray into soccer was at about age 7. We moved next door to this kid who would've been about 11 at the time and though the age gap felt massive at the time, he felt like my best mate. He was a Lions fan and his dad a heavy Tiges supporter but... he was right into soccer too. Aside from Glory Grand Finals, I never knew anyone who was interested in the game.

It all kind of happened at once. The 2002 World Cup was about to start – and if there's one World Cup for an Australian kid to enjoy, it was Korea/Japan and its 4pm kick-offs. This is back in the day of Blockbusters existing, and in a strangely prophetic sale they had, my mum let me grab a few of the $2 PS One games they were selling. I grabbed France 98. I always say FIFA 06 changed my life but without France 98, I doubt I would've ever been in the spot to try out that second copy.

Alright, I lied; we had FIFA 97 on the PC but it was too hard for my hands to navigate so, aside from John Motson riffing on guitar licks, I never played that too much.

Anyway, with all this going on, me and this mate of mine would do what every kid does and romanticise that they did: staying out until your feet are black and toes are stubbed and the mozzies are out. We'd kick the soccer ball all arvo. Like, non-stop. We'd have tournaments between ourselves and go through match-ups: "alright the venue's Old Trafford (it was a leaf-strewn backyard in beach-side suburbia with an upturned trampoline and an asbestos fence for goals, to be honest) and I'll be France and you be Senegal..." It was formative.

I just remember having this guide to the '02 World Cup book we had in aid of choosing teams. And this mate told me how good the French were – they'd just won the last World Cup. Plus I had France 98. And that meant they were definitely going to win Korea/Japan (...) and that their best players, Henry and Viera, were at Arsenal. So I got aboard and as they say...

The Monday night SBS doubles of the EPL highlights and South Park was like my world for a bit. I vividly remember so many episodes... I remember staying up to watch the odd Leeds game, I distinctly remember an Arsenal match against Everton at sunny Highbury in the undefeated season. It was a pivotal experience and I don't care what anyone says, the early and mid 2000s were the absolute pinnacle for the Premier League. So many characters and unique players. I miss it. I actually should've been a Leeds United fan though, now I think about it: all those Aussies, their SBS presence, the cool away strips they'd trot out, the fact I'm a quarter Yorkshireman... just never happened though. My dad's side are from bloody Grimsby though, so no chance of me ever getting into the Mariners!

For about five years I think I would've counted my obsession with Arsenal as bigger than anything I've really had in my life. It was less culturally invested than the AFL and Freo, but I was passionate. I used to spend all my pocket money and birthday cash on their online store; books and hoodies and pens and strips and erasers and every piece of merch I thought was cool. I'd stay up and watch every EPL game that I could. It kickstarted a love of the UK that's so hard to explain, you kind of had to feel it as a 10/12 year old – the first wave of the dumb cultural cringe everyone feels, the enchantment and wonderment of the joint. People can still appreciate it but the people I've talked to who got into the sport around the same time, they know what it is. It's profound.

But when I turned about 17, I'd stopped playing soccer and I'd been playing footy again for a few years. I was going to parties every so often and I was too busy with a girl, emotions, and music, and art to love it as much as I did. But I still knew everything about the sport. When I was 18 I was watching it as a means of bonding with my housemates, and I'll never forget the shock and amazement of watching that City comeback. But that was it for me, in all honesty. I just got more friends, more interests... I could see bands and feel things from that. I could spend my Saturdays chasing birds around and having beers, not sitting at home watching soccer. I could go to a game I always loved, Aussie Rules, multiple times a weekend and feel a part of the culture... people always spoke about it, even girls had a team... it was just natural and easier to just have the AFL as my avenue and too much effort to really preserve my love for Arsenal.

I'll always love the team and they've given me... well not much! But just because my fandom has died down, I don't feel detached to them. Everyone changes and things come and go in life, and I'll always be a Gooner, but right now, it's just not a pressing concern.

In all seriousness I read a blog (of sorts) a while ago on how this Aussie bloke came to support Chelsea, and his journey basically mirrors mine:

This sums me up so well as well :D, loved Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Gianfranco Zola from a very young age (about 5 or 6). Also no way would I go for a club like Liverpool or Man United, was a toss up between Chelsea and Leeds for me but went for Chelsea in the end. Couldn't even buy any Chelsea merchandise anywhere at the time either, shows how times have changed. And if I had to pick a club today, then no way it would be Chelsea either as I would never just pick a side because they are top or whatever but so be it... people just assume i'm a bandwagoner and that is annoying but oh well.

On that note, if I had to pick a side today it would probably be Newcastle or Palace, someone like that and in some ways that would be far cooler imo being one of few

CARLISLE UNITED.
I'm not sure why I started supporting Carlisle, but I've been supporting them since in the late 70's, early 80's. Possible reasons include they are the closest team to the Scottish Border, or it was the last English city occupied by the Scots, or as a Kid I was a Go-Go's fan and Belinda Carlisle was the sexy lead singer.:)

ROSS COUNTY.
A number of my ancestors came from Dingwall (Ross County) to Australia in 1850's during the Highlands clearings.

OLYMPIQUE de MARSEILLE.
City of Birth.

FIORENTINA.
Love the city of Florence, and Gabriel Batistuta is my all time favourite player.

DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA.
Coolest sounding name in Football, at least that was the case in the late 80's, early 90's whenever Les Murray would talk about them in his fake Spanish accent. Also they wear blue and white vertical stripes.

I also have a soft spot for Roma. James Richardson from the Guardian Football Weekly program used to host Gazzetta every sunday morning on Channel 4. Used to watch Zizou, Del Piero, Ronaldo, Maldini, Zlatan and Batistuta. However, i idolised Totti more than anyone else and so followed Roma. Genuine footballing great whose career i have seen 90% of.

I also have a soft spot for Roma. James Richardson from the Guardian Football Weekly program used to host Gazzetta every sunday morning on Channel 4. Used to watch Zizou, Del Piero, Ronaldo, Maldini, Zlatan and Batistuta. However, i idolised Totti more than anyone else and so followed Roma. Genuine footballing great whose career i have seen 90% of.
One of my favourite goals, and probably one of the best five I've seen

Who would people support if they up and chose today?

Reckon I'd be Leeds, Plymouth Argyle, Watford, potentially Celtic. When SBS had the rights and he was a causal viewer, my old man used to choose a new team each season – remember it was Chelsea in about 02/03, Norwich for a season... Reckon that'd be my go if I ever got interested in another sport or Freo were turfed from the AFL.

Who would people support if they up and chose today?

Reckon I'd be Leeds, Plymouth Argyle, Watford, potentially Celtic. When SBS had the rights and he was a causal viewer, my old man used to choose a new team each season – remember it was Chelsea in about 02/03, Norwich for a season... Reckon that'd be my go if I ever got interested in another sport or Freo were turfed from the AFL.

That'd be a nightmare choice, Leeds are probably one of the worst sides to support in England at the moment.

In 1997, a mate of mine in school was also my teammate in under 11s. His next door neighbour's god father went to school with the cousin of Gianluca Vialli's year 10 PE Teacher, so from that day I supported Chelsea.

When I was very little and didn't really pay much attention I liked Manchester United and Newcastle (they looked like WWE refs) but never really had a proper attachment to a team. All it was really was that I wanted to get into the PL and started watching games with a Chelsea supporting friend. I didn't plan it but after a few games I was familiar with many of the players and found myself spontaneously supporting them. It was in a November by the way, so I wasn't bandwagoning (I think I saw 2 losses and a draw before I decided to follow Chelsea). He may have been a glory hunter, so maybe that makes me an indirect glory hunter but who gives a * really? :p I also like to follow how Bradford are doing because I have a friend who was born there and follows them. He went over for the League Cup final against Swansea, had the time of his life despite the drubbing.

When I started following football, in particular the Premier League, around 2009/10 Gareth Bale had those two games against Inter in the Champions League where he absolutely tore Maicon to shreds. Prior to that I was always Spurs on FIFA as I just loved everything about Gareth Bale and those games against Inter cemented my liking for Spurs. I also loved watching Luka Modric and Rafa Van Der Vaart go about it as well around that time period. After actually reading up quite extensively about the clubs history I loved their culture of playing really attacking football and just what the club was about. I was genuinely devastated when Bale was sold at the beginning of last season but that didn't mean my support waned, over the last 4 seasons or so I've barely missed a game on the TV and I love the club just as much as I love North who I've followed since I was 5.

As for Melbourne City, I've always hated Victory, particularly that campaigner Kevin Muscat, so when Heart were formed I kept an eye on them and then a couple of my mates became members two seasons ago. I went to a couple of games with them and started following them as they are a local side for me and aren't Victory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mate is from Manchester and is a united supporter. He went for a holiday back in 2005 and brought home a Chelsea cap for me as a souvenir. Stuck with them since.

Was always a fan of Ian Wright in the 90s, and when I saw him on the "I'd like to see that" AFL ad campaign (in 95 I believe), I was an Arsenal man from that point onwards.

Surely one that chooses not to watch their own team anymore is not in a position to pot shot the fan base of other clubs.
Pretty sure stopping watching a team when they're in a slump is the definition of plastic.

Best mate at the time loved soccer and I'd always go to his and play FIFA 2001 on PS One. He is a massive United fan, so he'd select United for himself and give me Arsenal. From then the love only grew. Got the game myself and did career mode with them, then went to Pipeworks (Melbourne folk know what I'm talking about) and to the red Dreamcast kit.

And here I am today, 13 years later and much angrier.

Use to despise the sport and just stick with AFL (still my no.1 sport). But one night, couldn't sleep so I woke up and went to the family room to see my older brother watching a game of soccer, was during the 2006/07 season I believe and it was Man Utd v Liverpool ( he is a liverpool fan), so I sat down and watched, and he was going through the players, telling me about them and how much he hated United and ferguson. So I started to be a prick and was cheering on United, they went onto win and overall I thought the sport wasn't that bad.

It just grew after that, I jumped on United, bought fifa 06 and went from there, slowly started reading up on te history of the club, and Ronaldo instantly became my favourite player.

Now I love the sport and am obsessed with United.

First and foremost Nicolas Anelka, I always liked him as a player (more on him later) and later FIFA 98. First match I did one of those shut your eyes and pick a random team to play with. As fate would have it I ended up landing on Chelsea.

Decided to watch a few matches of this club where I could and the elegance of Zola when on the ball just got me hooked along with the likes of Desailly and Babayaro in the squad. Still have a personally signed Zola poster and reply letter from when I wrote to him as a 6 year old.

Had a bit of a lull period during the 2000's, still followed their results but wouldn't have classified myself as a diehard, and missed Mourinho's intial era in charge:( but one day my brother ended up waking me up from bed and said Chelsea have signed Anelka. Didn't believe it until I read it myself but I was a diehard from that moment.

I Still model my game on Anelka.

If I could pick these days, I doubt it would be Spurs.

In the last season and a half, I've actually found myself disliking everything about the club.

The s**t fans and dead WHL, the lack of spirit, our trigger-happy chairman, smorgasbord of new managers, expensive signings amounting to nothing.

The failure complex cycle is the one thing I actually can deal with.

When they sold Dawson, who was the one Spurs player left that I truly loved, I was crushed.

Thankfully Kane and Mason have become good players and I'm growing to love them both.

I still love Tottenham, obviously. It's in the family and the recent history gives me goose bumps when I think about Kaboul at Villa Park, Crouch at the Etihad, Bale at the San Siro, Rafa van der Vaart, Defoe at Wigan, Rose and Bentley against Arsenal and then some stuff before I started watching like Klinsmann and Gazza.

Love ≠ like.

if I had to pick now I would probably plump for Everton. True family club in my eyes.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back