Moved Thread Why does Eddie decide what Jumper Port Adelaide can or can't wear?

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually love the fact that port now has the big V on their jumper;)

Do you sweetheart? Ever seen the SA state of origin Guernsey?
Or would you rather a big red sash? Like the one you guys wear proudly after winning nationals in the 2011/2012 drug cheat competition!

Do you sweetheart? Ever seen the SA state of origin Guernsey?
Or would you rather a big red sash? Like the one you guys wear proudly after winning nationals in the 2011/2012 drug cheat competition!

It's actually taken from the Australian rugby league jumper
But yes the SA state guernsey is the same

Nothing like the 'big V'

When they came in to the AFL, there was probably some clause in the agreement saying that Collingwood owned the prison bars, and as a (possibly unintended) result, they have to give their permission for port to use them in AFL competition.

Either that or Eddie is being a w***er and 'interpreting' the agreement as it suits him best.

It's actually taken from the Australian rugby league jumper
But yes the SA state guernsey is the same

Nothing like the 'big V'

Nah, chevrons were used on Australian football guernseys before rugby league was even invented. :)

Melbourne Storm also pay us royalties for the use of purple as well.

About half we siphon back to their players as part of the money laundering arrangement to cheat their salary cap.
Even with half our premierships being stripped, we still have two more than Freo do!

You should pay us reparations for bringing the color into disrepute!

only eddie and collingwood fans are.
if it want for eddie, pimping the pies out at every media opportunity he could, you guys would still be based at victoria park and debt ridden,
eddie is the biggest hypocrite there is. its ok for him and not any one else. when david kosch was first made president of port, he flipped his lid, over the fact david kosch had a daily national tv show & it was a conflict of interest.

So you agree Eddie has done a fantastic job in his position as President of Collingwood?
You know...the one he's supposed to do.

I love this argument. I don't recall the power ever wearing the black and white in their short history. The side that plays in the AFL is the Port Power the side in the SANFL is the Port Adelaide Magpies and they have a long history of wearing the Black and White prison bars. They can wear it as much as they like I'm sure Eddie won't care.

We at Collingwood are sorry other clubs sell their souls and jumpers for money or they don't have the nuts to stand up to the AFL. Eddie cares about it and a lot of our supporters do. I don't mind them wearing it for the last game at AAMI but as for wearing it more through out the year no deal. They should have more pride in their currant jumper and build a history around that.

Because Collingwood have a trademark on black and white used in a vertical patten.

Eddie's next stop is basketball refs then Juventus

Yep, then after he's sued the pants off Newcastle Utd and Footlocker, as pointed out by other posters, he can have a crack at the NFL referees. But I tell ya what, I wouldn't want to be a zebra-

"Look out, Mbangwa, here comes Eddie."

Stress-ZebraStripes.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, use spell check you illiterate damn! As for ignorance, why should I bother to contribute to it with a response, thought I'd just repost it to highlight your uselessness.

After you dropped the spelling bomb from your intellectual high ground I was licking my lips in anticipation for you tearing shreds out of his post, pointing out all the flaws in logic and the obvious lies with sharp wit and contempt for his intelligence.

I'm disappointed.

They should play for the right to the wear black and white stripes - three games, one in Melbourne, one in Adelaide and one at a neutral city. Winner gets the guernsey for good.

They should wear whatever they want at home games. Visitors who refuse to wear a clearly different alternate should forfeit.

We at Collingwood are sorry other clubs sell their souls and jumpers for money or they don't have the nuts to stand up to the AFL. Eddie cares about it and a lot of our supporters do. I don't mind them wearing it for the last game at AAMI but as for wearing it more through out the year no deal. They should have more pride in their currant jumper and build a history around that.

A completely redundant argument when there is a weight of evidence suggesting Collingwood have changed the design of their "famous" strip numerous times in the last 120+ years. It is short sighted, one eyed jingoism, not "tradition" and "history"

I have a great amount of pity for clubs and supporters that seek to put themselves above the game. The AFL would easily survive if Collingwood wore pink and purple polka dots or *gasp* ceased to exist at all, and to pretend it wouldn't is laughably ignorant.

A completely redundant argument when there is a weight of evidence suggesting Collingwood have changed the design of their "famous" strip numerous times in the last 120+ years. It is short sighted, one eyed jingoism, not "tradition" and "history"
The strip is famous and every incarnation of it looks like a Collingwood jumper and is clearly identifiable with any other version. More black, more white, trims, collars or whatever else has come and gone along with changes in materials make no difference to what it is. It is black and white stripes and the format is and always has been very clearly a Collingwood jumper.

Whether other clubs value their colours, jumper design, name or whatever is their own concern. For you to presume to be able to decide what tradition is for Collingwood or what is meaningful in Collingwood's history is arrogant and ignorant far beyond anything you claim from Collingwood.

The strip is famous and every incarnation of it looks like a Collingwood jumper and is clearly identifiable with any other version. More black, more white, trims, collars or whatever else has come and gone along with changes in materials make no difference to what it is. It is black and white stripes and the format is and always has been very clearly a Collingwood jumper.

Whether other clubs value their colours, jumper design, name or whatever is their own concern. For you to presume to be able to decide what tradition is for Collingwood or what is meaningful in Collingwood's history is arrogant and ignorant far beyond anything you claim from Collingwood.

I never claimed that I was the authority on any clubs tradition and history. My overarching point is that for a club to cling to a the idea that the tradition in their colors means more to them than the traditions of another club is baseless and selfish. You can't now claim that the black and white stripes are crucially important, even though they have changed noticeably over time, that is playing both sides of the fence.

You said it yourself - Collingwood is not concerned with the competition it is a part of, only feathering it's own nest (pardon the pun) regardless of what is the best thing for everyone else.

I love this argument. I don't recall the power ever wearing the black and white in their short history. The side that plays in the AFL is the Port Power the side in the SANFL is the Port Adelaide Magpies and they have a long history of wearing the Black and White prison bars. They can wear it as much as they like I'm sure Eddie won't care.

it's the same club, fool.

Watched 360 last night and David Koch was on their talking about the prison bar jumper to be worn this weekend and Eddie clearly stated this will be the last time ever that port can wear this jumper!

I would like to know what on earth would it have to do with Eddie Mcguire what jumper a club can or can't wear on certain occasions.

Port conceded years ago they would never wear this jumper on a permanent basis, but why on earth if they want to wear it once a year for a certain round should they even need to ask Collingwood or Eddie Mcguire.

Just submit to the AFL who run the game and it is their decision, nothing what so ever to do with Collingwood.

For Eddie to just say this will never happen again is arrogant to say the least and for someone who always comes across as a traditional person it really is pathetic.
It's pretty basic gws. They're not allowed to wear the prison bars because it's not their jumper. They are the Port Power not the Port Adelaide Magpies. If Port want to stay in the national competition then they need to accept this. It can't be healthy for their football club obsessing over Collginwood's jumper all the time.

I never claimed that I was the authority on any clubs tradition and history. My overarching point is that for a club to cling to a the idea that the tradition in their colors means more to them than the traditions of another club is baseless and selfish. You can't now claim that the black and white stripes are crucially important, even though they have changed noticeably over time, that is playing both sides of the fence.
No the black and white stripes are integral to Collingwood and there has never been anything but black and white stripes. No alteration to the jumper has ever resulted in anything different bar 1 preseason mistake. It is a hugely significant emotional and commercial issue. The emotional aspect is massively under appreciated by so many. The only thing keeping foroball clubs alive is emotion.
You said it yourself - Collingwood is not concerned with the competition it is a part of, only feathering it's own nest (pardon the pun) regardless of what is the best thing for everyone else.
I did not say that all. I said what other clubs do with their jumpers is of no concern to Collingwood. It is none of our business unless it impinges on Collingwood in any way in which case it enters our sphere of concern. You can debate whether the Port Adelaide issue is on that level but that is another debate.

As it stand the AFL approved Port's original jumper and their subsequent jumpers as they do for all clubs and Port, like anyone, need approval to change. If they wanted to change to something similar to the Crows it wouldn't be approved.

Your argument might carry some weight except for the fact that the tradition and history of the Port Power started in 1997. As a Collingwood supporter I have no problem with other clubs celebrating their tradition, I do however have an issue with clubs inventing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back