Moved Thread Why does Eddie decide what Jumper Port Adelaide can or can't wear?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm more than happy with our current guernsey, and don't see the need to run with the Prison bars as more than a one off every few years, but if we, theoretically, went with a prison bar guernsey in Black and SILVER, would there be any problems?

It uses two of our team colours, even if it then drops 2 (see: Freo).
Its not Black and White.
It doesn't encroach on any other team colours.
It would still be visually striking.

I don't want to change it, but could it work?

I'm more than happy with our current guernsey, and don't see the need to run with the Prison bars as more than a one off every few years, but if we, theoretically, went with a prison bar guernsey in Black and SILVER, would there be any problems?

It uses two of our team colours, even if it then drops 2 (see: Freo).
Its not Black and White.
It doesn't encroach on any other team colours.
It would still be visually striking.

I don't want to change it, but could it work?

Nah, still too close to Collingwood. Port must always retain teal as a defining feature on their guernseys whilst in the AFL competition.

Nah, still too close to Collingwood. Port must always retain teal as a defining feature on their guernseys whilst in the AFL competition.
Like freo needs the white red and green?

LOL…. You do realise that anyone can create or update Wiki. Just because it is in WIKI does not make it true…
This was a stupid argument in 2005, and it is a stupider one now. Wikipedia has been consistently more accurate than the Encyclopaedia Britannica for several years now and is one of the most reliable sources around. You can edit it all you want, but thousands of people, myself included , have tools that can automatically detect and revert vandalism and factually incorrect information.

Also, note that Wikipedia is not shortened to "Wiki". A wiki is simply an online article management software editable by anyone. Wikipedia is certainly a wiki, but to simply call it "wiki" would be like calling BigFooty "forum".

exactly what ive been saying yet port fans refuse to acknowledge these simple, i wont say facts but observations.

the very fact that they are port adelaide is a noose around their necks. they desperately want to keep that magpie history but its the very thing that may kill em. you cant grow a club with such a limited base of support in a national competition.

With all due respect, you both don't know what you are talking about. Port Adelaide has had a supporter base comparable to that of Geelong's long before entering the AFL.

Port Adelaide's successful SANFL heritage, its relatively large traditional supporter base, and its 'point of difference with the Crows', were the main reasons for the existence of the AFL variant today.

But remember, any second AFL team out of Adelaide was going to struggle when competing locally against a virtual state team, supported by two thirds of the state's football supporters, favoured by almost all of the SANFL clubs, and having six years head start.

Port AFL's problem is not alienation of new supporters, but disaffecting its traditional supporter base (and thus future generations) as a consequence of trying to distance itself from its heritage. New supporters will always jump on board if the club is successful but 'real passion needs history'.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks that the Collingwood president determines what jumper Port will or won't wear is being naive. If the Port board wanted the team to wear a jumper that more closely resembles its traditional one, they would be wearing it. The day will come though.

With all due respect, you both don't know what you are talking about. Port Adelaide has had a supporter base comparable to that of Geelong's long before entering the AFL.

Port Adelaide's successful SANFL heritage, its relatively large traditional supporter base, and its 'point of difference with the Crows', were the main reasons for the existence of the AFL variant today.

But remember, any second AFL team out of Adelaide was going to struggle when competing locally against a virtual state team, supported by two thirds of the state's football supporters, favoured by almost all of the SANFL clubs, and having six years head start.

Port AFL's problem is not alienation of new supporters, but disaffecting its traditional supporter base (and thus future generations) as a consequence of trying to distance itself from its heritage. New supporters will always jump on board if the club is successful but 'real passion needs history'.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks that the Collingwood president determines what jumper Port will or won't wear is being naive. If the Port board wanted the team to wear a jumper that more closely resembles its traditional one, they would be wearing it. The day will come though.
Bumpity

The most sussinct post regarding Port Adelaide's brand identity I have read. Simply put for Port it was either do what we were told and cop wearing some horrendously s**t guernseys for a while or become irrelevant.

The day will come though.
Them some fighting words!

I think its time we looked at this a little differently.

Rather than have Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne and Freo wear alternate strips when we play them at home, why not agree with those clubs that we will wear the prison bars against them (with white shorts) every single time we play them (home and away).
They are the clubs which have a single dark colour as their base jumper, hence the prison bars are an acceptable alternative.

For all other clubs wear our current home jumper (the V) whether playing them either home or away.
Shorts will vary depending on whether we are home or away.

This effectively gives us two jumpers depending on who we play rather than having home and away strips.

-------------
Just to clarify:

Vs Fremantle , Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne: prison bars and white shorts when either home or away

Vs West Coast Eagles, Sydney Swans, Collingwood Hawthorn GWS Giants Adelaide Crows Geelong Cats Western Bulldogs North Melbourne St Kilda Brisbane Lions Gold Coast Suns: the V jumper with black shorts at home and with white shorts when away

Last edited:
I think its time we looked at this a little differently.

Rather than have Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne and Freo wear alternate strips when we play them at home, why not agree with those clubs that we will wear the prison bars against them (with white shorts) every single time we play them (home and away).
They are the clubs which have a single dark colour as their base jumper, hence the prison bars are an acceptable alternative.

For all other clubs wear our current home jumper (the V) whether playing them either home or away.
Shorts will vary depending on whether we are home or away.

This effectively gives us two jumpers depending on who we play rather than having home and away strips.

-------------
Just to clarify:

Vs Fremantle , Richmond, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne: prison bars and white shorts when either home or away

Vs West Coast Eagles, Sydney Swans, Collingwood Hawthorn GWS Giants Adelaide Crows Geelong Cats Western Bulldogs North Melbourne St Kilda Brisbane Lions Gold Coast Suns: the V jumper with black shorts at home and with white shorts when away

If you honestly can't see that the prison bars as the away team against Carlton or Fremantle (in particular) would be an absolute mess, compared to the current white guernsey, I don't think you've thought the issue through. It would be a hysterical move and I'd be PML trying to distinguish the teams on TV. So, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if the AFL rubber stamped it.

Port's clash guernsey is excellent and since it was released at the same time as the current home guernsey and they haven't fiddled around with it, people know that it's Port, when they turn on the TV and see it. I'm all for them bringing out the prison bars once or twice a year, at home against teams like Gold Coast, Hawthorn or the Bulldogs. But that's where it should start and end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back