Why I hate New Consoles

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been pretty 'meh' when it comes to the new consoles (PS4 and X1) the following are just some of the reasons.
  • Poor build quality on the PS4 controllers, notably the rubber on the thumbstick and the triggers that get stuck.
  • Rubber feet underneath the PS4 eject button causing discs to randomly eject.
  • Every game requiring a day 1 patch.
  • Games for Gold and PS+ being a dumping ground for indies, sure you get some good ones but 90% are rubbish.
  • No DLNA or home screen customization on the PS4.... is it really that hard to add?
  • AAA gaming is really lacking so far, anything that isn't open world is far too easy and short.
  • No real must have exclusives on PS4, disappointing after what we got on PS3.
  • The cost of digital games exceeding retail, usually by a good $20-$30..... a digital future they say?
  • Funding an online service (PSN) that still isnt up to par with its competition. Wheres the money going?
  • Everything seems to be getting a remaster. Worse is that gamers are asking for more (Uncharted, Gears of War) new ideas please.
  • The focus on being an entertainment box rather than a pure games console. Give me good games over Netflix, Foxtel, Spotify, IGN App etc etc
  • Install speeds on Xbox One and download speeds on PS4 are downright insulting considering what we pay.
  • Silent Hills cancelled FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU Konami.
  • Hard drive size. 500gb as standard just doesnt cut it when you have 40gb+ installs and that's without patches/dlc on top of that.

Last edited:
I've been pretty 'meh' when it comes to the new consoles (PS4 and X1) the following are just some of the reasons.
  • Poor build quality on the PS4 controllers, notably the rubber on the thumbstick and the triggers that get stuck.
  • Games for Gold and PS+ being a dumping ground for indies, sure you get some good ones but 90% are rubbish.
  • No DLNA or home screen customization on the PS4.... is it really that hard to add?
  • AAA gaming is really lacking so far, anything that isn't open world is far too easy and short.
  • The cost of digital games exceeding retail, usually by a good $20-$30..... a digital future they say?
  • Funding an online service (PSN) that still isnt up to par with its competition. Wheres the money going?
  • Everything seems to be getting a remaster. Worse is that gamers are asking for more (Uncharted, Gears of War) new ideas please.
  • The focus on being an entertainment box rather than a pure games console. Give me good games over Netflix, Foxtel, Spotify, IGN App etc etc
  • Install speeds on Xbox One and download speeds on PS4 are downright insulting considering what we pay.
  • Hard drive size. 500gb as standard just doesnt cut it when you have 40gb+ installs and that's without patches/dlc on top of that.

Also seems like no matter what game if you don't play it for a week and then when you turn it on there always seems to be a 1-2+gb patch.

I can't be the only one who thinks the power and eject buttons are awkward as hell on the PS4.

I can't be the only one who thinks the power and eject buttons are awkward as hell on the PS4.

The fan being placed at the back of the console is a massive design flaw - after an hours play mine begins to sound like a plane taking off and I have to move it out of my TV cabinet so it won't overheat. Sadly I've hit the eject button too many times trying to do this gently enough to not knock the cords at the back out.

Last edited:
The fan being placed at the back of the console is a massive design flaw - after an hours play mine begins to sound like a plane taking of and I have to move it out of my TV cabinet so it won't overheat. Sadly I've hit the eject button too many times trying to do this gently enough to not knock the cords at the back out.
Which reminds me, I need to buy a compressed air can ... eventually.

The fan being placed at the back of the console is a massive design flaw - after an hours play mine begins to sound like a plane taking off and I have to move it out of my TV cabinet so it won't overheat. Sadly I've hit the eject button too many times trying to do this gently enough to not knock the cords at the back out.

Was a major issue with the PS3 too, mine roasted in the cab and that was basically just from watching the occasional movie. And this cab houses a massive projector setup and an amp that is running about 4 other devices, so it's pretty damn well ventilated!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a major issue with the PS3 too, mine roasted in the cab and that was basically just from watching the occasional movie. And this cab houses a massive projector setup and an amp that is running about 4 other devices, so it's pretty damn well ventilated!

At least the PS3 (mine which is the bigger one) has a fan on the side, so the air could vent properly. The fan on the back on the PS4 is a poor idea considering anyone who keeps theirs in a cabinet will eventually have an issue.

At least the PS3 (mine which is the bigger one) has a fan on the side, so the air could vent properly. The fan on the back on the PS4 is a poor idea considering anyone who keeps theirs in a cabinet will eventually have an issue.

Just seems like the cooling is inadequate regardless, gets super loud and super hot. I guess that's what you get for them making it as affordable as possible though.

Just seems like the cooling is inadequate regardless, gets super loud and super hot. I guess that's what you get for them making it as affordable as possible though.

Possibly

All I know for sure is that once I take mine out of the cabinet the noise and heat drop significantly (and quickly).

* next gen consoles. Hardware that could've been released in 2010, when it would have actually been up to par with the tech out at the time. Nintendo doesn't apply, they aren't involved in a pissing contest over who has the better mediocre system. They know their limitations and make brilliant games within those limits. They're a fantastic alternative to this poor attempt at "next-gen".

**** next gen consoles. Hardware that could've been released in 2010, when it would have actually been up to par with the tech out at the time. Nintendo doesn't apply, they aren't involved in a pissing contest over who has the better mediocre system. They know their limitations and make brilliant games within those limits. They're a fantastic alternative to this poor attempt at "next-gen".

It's been the way since the inception of consoles, but it does kind of suck the way in which innovation and pushing games to their limits is held back by consoles.

Double edged sword though, remove consoles from the equation and the gaming market starts generating stacks less $$$ which limits innovation as well. But yeah, increasingly more evident with the demos that are showing and then the full release being drastically scaled back.

**** next gen consoles. Hardware that could've been released in 2010, when it would have actually been up to par with the tech out at the time. Nintendo doesn't apply, they aren't involved in a pissing contest over who has the better mediocre system. They know their limitations and make brilliant games within those limits. They're a fantastic alternative to this poor attempt at "next-gen".
Great sentiments, man. I don't like getting in pissing matches about the first-party companies myself.

buy nintendo it's actually fun + you wont end up making hate videos about them after nothing but hatred building and money fading

buy nintendo it's actually fun + you wont end up making hate videos about them after nothing but hatred building and money fading
If you don't mind having to connect an external hard drive, of course.

Yes, I know about the 32GB. No, I don't have that one. No, I don't think it's enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back