Why is Cyril Rioli so highly rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there no doubt he is overrated? I guess my opinion doesn't count then. And I didn't see the results of any poll suggesting that most people think he's overrated.

An alternative explanation. Geelong supporters resent the amount of attention Rioli gets by commentators and neutral supporters, and therefore wheel out the 'over-rated' tag at every chance they get.

I watch approx. 5-6 Hawthorn games each year and he is highly influential in most (the 2008 GF a case in point). And yes he is capable of having down days, as are all AFL players. Small forwards are often much maligned. And so much is based on fitness/injuries ... just ask Tom Hawkins.
When you have multiple commentators saying that Rioli is inconsistent and doesn't do enough, it's a fair indication that it's not just 'offended Geelong fans'. Not everyone is so petty that they can't handle how much attention Rioli gets, that's a pretty lazy theory. I don't know why you think it's solely a Geelong belief, there's plenty of fans of every team saying the same things.

I also don't know why Hawk fans think Rioli's 2008 GF would upset Geelong people so terribly. He had 10 touches and 2 goals yet somehow was the most influential player on the ground. They'll tell you that while Ablett got a lot of touches, he had zero influence, despite Ablett being 2nd in Norm Smith voting while Cyril didn't get a single vote. Evidently the overrating of Rioli by most Hawk fans started in his very first year.

Tom Hawkins still kicked 50 goals last year despite his dodgy back, so not sure why you mentioned him. Regardless, the issue isn't whether Rioli is any good or not, it's whether he's overrated or not.

Again, rating players just on possessions. All this criticism is based on a one-dimensional Dream Team perspective on football, nothing more.
Or maybe it isn't but it easier for you to just pretend that's what happening. Some Hawk fans have actually tried to pump up his game against Geelong as if he wasn't close to, if not THE worst player on the ground. If that's not a symptom of his overrating, I don't know what is.

Again, the guy is a good player, he's capable of being a brilliant player at times, but he's hardly the player most Hawthorn fans imagine him to be. I don't know why Hawk people are so eager to drown him in constant, unwavering adulation whilst simultaneously being so vehemently reluctant to admit his shortcomings.

Or maybe it isn't but it easier for you to just pretend that's what happening. Some Hawk fans have actually tried to pump up his game against Geelong as if he wasn't close to, if not THE worst player on the ground. If that's not a symptom of his overrating, I don't know what is.

Again, the guy is a good player, he's capable of being a brilliant player at times, but he's hardly the player most Hawthorn fans imagine him to be. I don't know why Hawk people are so eager to drown him in constant, unwavering adulation whilst simultaneously being so vehemently reluctant to admit his shortcomings.
If they want to live in denial i am not sure why you really care?

LeCras and Milne haven't been 'hyped' as much? Nonsense. Milne is often described as one of the best small forwards the game has ever seen and was an AA lock in 2012 despite contributing zero other than his finishing. LeCras similar at times.
Contributed zero other than his finishing? You mustn't have thought much of Tony Lockett with that attitude. Milne kicked 50+ goals in a season 6 times and finished his career with 574 goals. Of course he'll go down as one of the best small forwards of all time.

I mean I found it sickening to hear Bruce call Chapman Uncle Paulie every time he got near it in our game the other week. I mean seriously, Uncle Paulie. Was he in the Rocky movies? It still didn't make me dislike Chapman..............anymore than I already did. :D

He's averaging more career disposals than Betts, LeCras, Michael Walters, Stephen Milne, Luke Breust, Jamie Elliott, and other small half-forwards who don't receive the same criticism.

Good work. Now think it through just a little bit more and you will be perfectly placed to hit the nail on the head............

Cyril is a very good player. His stats are significant ones. He doesn't need to get high numbers that are full of hand passes back and forward that are completely meaningless in terms of getting a score on the board, which is the end game. I guess that's where he shines. When he gets the ball more often than not Hawthorn score as a result.
I'd love to have a player like him at Richmond.

Rioli had a 'shocker' on the weekend.

[Supercoach discussion]

Rioli's "Shocking" game was better than Motlop has ever averaged over a season, and would be ranked Motlop's 22nd best ever.

This thread is heading quickly towards Bay 13, and don't really want to get into anything that's been said on the last couple of pages, but can I pick you up on the above for two reasons:

1. Judging performances on Supercoach scores is a pretty extraordinary way of assessing.
2. Motlop's played 52 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you have multiple commentators saying that Rioli is inconsistent and doesn't do enough, it's a fair indication that it's not just 'offended Geelong fans.
wait... wait... isnt the problem that the commentary box overrated Rioli?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The underrated/overrated debates are an absolute load of garbage. By far my favourite player outside of the Tigers, genuinely amazed at some of the attributes/skills he has. If some other people think he's overrated good for them, I enjoy watching him play and that's more than enough for me.

This thread was bumped by a Bulldogs supporter pushing an agenda "Dahlhaus is better the Rioli" after 1 good game by one and a lower out put from the other.
I can understand Geelong supporters who dont watch any hawthorn game besides Geelong v Hawthorn to see him as overrated by some. I cant remember the last time he has played well against Geelong.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Isn't top 100 a big High - everytime he plays against a team with quality he struggles 7 possessions and 5 tackles on Monday was disgraceful

The thread was bumped by a Bulldogs supporter, and there's plenty from all clubs posting within it.

You're still pissed that Rioli did more with 8 possessions than GAJ did with 35 in the 2008 GF. Remember when he brought down three of your spuds by himself on the wing during the 3rd that changed the course of the game? He accomplished more in 5 seconds of footy than you have in your entire sorry life.

It's time to let it go sweetheart.

You're still pissed that Rioli did more with 8 possessions than GAJ did with 35 in the 2008 GF. Remember when he brought down three of your spuds by himself on the wing during the 3rd that changed the course of the game? He accomplished more in 5 seconds of footy than you have in your entire sorry life.

Oh laawwwwd. Back to the Bay champ.

Give it a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back