Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
been watching la liga more often, only madrid and barca games. it seems when messi has a good game, he is a god. when cristiano has a good game it seems as though his performance is underrated.

from what i've seen so far, ronaldo is the better player. where messi is probably nearly as good, but has more creative players around him to set him up with his dangerous runs and positioning that ronaldo also possesses.

thoughts?

Said it in another thread

Messi is 100 times better technically, 100 times better passer, 100 times better dribbler, 100 times better finisher, 100 times better vision, 100 times better in big games

The only thing Ronaldo has over him is athleticism, runs fast, has a belting shot on him, but goes missing in big occasions times and time again, etc.

Plus Ronaldo's goals this year has a far greater percentage of pens in them than Messi.

There is no contest, and anyone thinks there is can't be watching both of them enough

It's Messi, but the gap is not nearly as wide as Liverpool/City/Arsenal fans would make out either. Both sides play in systems that are built to maximise their outrageous talents.

Ronaldo has 98 goals in 89 Real league appearances. He has also posted outrageous numbers and won trophies in England, where he was routinely hacked to pieces. Neither player has done their abilities justice at international level.

I think Messi has a better feel for the game, whereas Ronaldo is probably the great physical specimen ever to play the sport. Both have taken scoring to an obscene level. Messi has arguably the greatest club side ever built around him, but I still maintain the fact Ronaldo has torn the Premiership to shreds too is overlooked a lot in this debate.

Must say when watching fox sports news this morning and they said messi put in another masterclass then they showed the replay and he scored a penalty and got a tap in after fabregas both times did all the hard work, i wanted to punch the guy who said in the face, so the point you make is right.

I will also admit that i prefer ronaldo to messi as i hate barca in general minus fabregas. But i can't judge messi because he plays in la liga. Heres a stat of ronaldo in the EPL and in La Liga:

6 seasons at Manure: 118 goals (max 42 07-08)

3 seasons at Madrid: 123 goals (max 53 10-11

You could argue that he was young when he moved to united therefore his stats are irrelevant but that is a massive difference no matter what age you are. Also that back heel goal ronaldo scored you shows you how bad the defending in la liga is.

Ronaldo also disappears in big games, Messi does not.

Ronaldo was unbelievable in his first FA Cup final. He's scored in a CL final (although missed in the shoot-out) and scored the winner against Barca in the Copa del Ray. Granted he doesn't have the numbers Messi does in club finals, but he also doesn't play in front of guys like Iniesta and Xavi, some of the greatest big game players of all time.

Of course Messi is ahead in this regard but Ronaldo's 'choking' is vastly overstated.

Put Ronaldo in this Barca team and he probably has little idea how to adapt playing their style

Granted, Xavi and Iniesta does the work in the middle of the pitch, and when Messi plays for Argentina, he has to do more of that work deeper up the ground coz no one else can, which means he can't be in more dangerous areas, but that's hardly a slight on his ability.

He's 6 away from Barca's all time scoring record at 24 FFS, this bloke is probably the most complete footballer you'll see in terms of having the whole package of skills and brains. He could get pretty close to Pele goals wise if he keeps it up

What's Messi's record in Clasicos, like averages a goal a game against them? Then his incredible scoring rate in the CL which is probably the highest quality club competition considering Barca usually go the whole way and play the best teams. The bloke's one of the best big game players you'll see, there's no comparison whatsoever

Said it in another thread

Messi is 100 times better technically, 100 times better passer, 100 times better dribbler, 100 times better finisher, 100 times better vision, 100 times better in big games

The only thing Ronaldo has over him is athleticism, runs fast, has a belting shot on him, but goes missing in big occasions times and time again, etc.

Plus Ronaldo's goals this year has a far greater percentage of pens in them than Messi.

There is no contest, and anyone thinks there is can't be watching both of them enough

This. It will be interesting to see how dominant Ronaldo will be when he loses his speed and explosiveness through age. Messi will continue to be world class as he doesn't rely as heavily on athletic attributes.

i'd like to see messi adapt to another team, in another country, much like ronaldo had to and succeeded within minutes

i still stand by what i originally said, ronaldo can do different things all the time, messi seems to be so good at dribbling and finishing from close range that it's basically all he needs to do. well that's what i've gathered from watching anyway

i still stand by what i originally said, ronaldo can do different things all the time, messi seems to be so good at dribbling and finishing from close range that it's basically all he needs to do. well that's what i've gathered from watching anyway

You serious?

Haven't seen Messi's passing? Those brilliant through balls? Those mad one-twos he plays with teammates? Oh, he can head the ball as well as anyone for a bloke as short as him, too

Even with just his dribbling and finishing he'd be one of the best in the world, frankly the best dribbler I've ever seen, and close to the best finisher I've seen. He ****ing "do" keepers everytime he's 1v1 with them

There is not one footballing attribute he is not ****ing world class at, he's played in numerous different positions throughout the years for Barca and have continually excelled at them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ronaldo is heading towards under rated these days. Messi is deservedly the best player in the world right now, but Ronaldo is one of the best I've seen too. Both are just incredible offensive machines.

Ronaldo has the physical attributes, aerial ability and dead ball ability over Messi, but that'd be about it.

I agree with what someone else said before, that tearing up the EPL while getting triple team and legged hacked should give him plenty of credits. To have that kind of dominance in the best league in the world, then to go to Spain and go at over a goal a game is insane.

He'd be the same as Ibrahimovich was for them, a brilliant player in a foreign style. Sold in two seasons

I'll say that someone whose last two seasons at United produced 68 goals, and who has since scored 126 in 127 games for Madrid would probably score a few at Barca.

But to each his own.

I'll say that someone whose last two seasons at United produced 68 goals, and who has since scored 126 in 127 games for Madrid would probably score a few at Barca.

But to each his own.

Both Utd and Real play completely different styles of football that suit Ronaldo. Ronaldo's allowed to be more direct as a result

Barca plays football unique to anyone else in the world, which is one of the main reason people ****ing worship them nowadays, and not anyone can go in there and play like that. Ibrahimovich ****ing struggled despite being brilliant, stuck out like a sore thumb that he can't play to their style.

If you put Ronaldo in the same sorta role Messi plays for them now, very much doubt they would be able to play the same sorta football. It would be something completely different. Messi's a big part of how they play

It's like Torres even in his prime scoring for fun for us, put him in a Spain team which plays football the closest to the style Barca plays it, absolutely hopeless

Ronaldo is heading towards under rated these days. Messi is deservedly the best player in the world right now, but Ronaldo is one of the best I've seen too. Both are just incredible offensive machines.

Ronaldo has the physical attributes, aerial ability and dead ball ability over Messi, but that'd be about it.

I agree with what someone else said before, that tearing up the EPL while getting triple team and legged hacked should give him plenty of credits. To have that kind of dominance in the best league in the world, then to go to Spain and go at over a goal a game is insane.
dead ball ability.... 1 in 30 maybe.
as far as talent (technique) goes robben is better than ronaldo. problem with robben is fitness. and that's all.

ronaldo has had an amazing career. is a brilliant footballer. and as stated on here a few times he's a brilliant athlete. just incredible. and he combined those athletic skills along with talent and hard work as a footballer to become a machine. he's like a terminator.
whereas robben (yes back to him) is more like a cheap plastic toy.

In fairness Messi is actually a bit of a tosser too.

How exactly? Most the time he stays on his feet despite probably being the most kicked player in the world. He behaves very well on and off the pitch, always humble, which is probably one of the contributing factors for the Messi love-in

Then you have a w***er who used to dive all over the ****ing place, crying when things don't go his way, pushing and shoving opposition managers who probably would ****ing deck him in a fight.

I didn't see players like Pele, Cruyff, Maradona etc. but I fail to see how they or anyone else could possibly have been BETTER than Messi is. Ronaldo is a great player but Messi is on another level again and undoubtedly one of the all-time greats (and still only 24).

How exactly? Most the time he stays on his feet despite probably being the most kicked player in the world. He behaves very well on and off the pitch, always humble.

[youtube]Uku21lz9Mak[/youtube]

[youtube]sGPUygzrd-0&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]yrifqshUtPk[/youtube]

Spitting...

[youtube]-1y1Krso2Bs[/youtube]

And my personal favourite...

[youtube]BnesOQTbWeQ&feature=related[/youtube]

He certainly doesn't display Ronaldo's histronics but he can be a dirty little sh*t too.

Loved the "bodyslam", how is that even a bodyslam? He hardly used any force, and Maicon's far stronger and bigger bloke, it looked funny to me. The kicking the ball at crowd one was funny, too, was more like a lash of frustration rather than pre-meditated aim at them.

He has a few isolated incidents and confrontations with opposition players, so ****ing what, probably missing all the footage of the same dirty ****ers practically assaulting him on the pitch and nothing much is done about it. The only noteworthy incident there is probably the spitting one but apart from that a few of them are pretty much what you see in football every now and again.

He hardly moans at the ref, doesn't go down and cry about every challenge made on him, just gets up and does his thing most times. Of course that doesn't fit the specific theme of those youtube vids now, does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back