Why is Messi better than C. Ronaldo?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to test your level of bias, who do u think is better out of Gerrard and Pirlo?
Different players. One if more a deep lying playmaker who controls a game and the other was an out and out AM. Gerrard has moved back into the Pirlo role but doesnt do it as well obviously but Pirlo could never have the same effect going forward as Gerrard does.

Gerrard is power and pace and goals, Pirlo is cool and calm and dictates a game. Both wonderful passers of a football but it's apples and oranges really. Well until about a year ago when Rodgers has moved Gerrard back.

Different players. One if more a deep lying playmaker who controls a game and the other was an out and out AM. Gerrard has moved back into the Pirlo role but doesnt do it as well obviously but Pirlo could never have the same effect going forward as Gerrard does.

Gerrard is power and pace and goals, Pirlo is cool and calm and dictates a game. Both wonderful passers of a football but it's apples and oranges really. Well until about a year ago when Rodgers has moved Gerrard back.
Wrong answer.

Jod you also think Fowler was better than Ronaldo, your credibility crumbles there too.
No I said Fowler was as good a finisher. Not all around player. You give Robbie a chance, he'll score. Much like Ronaldo did. Ronaldo had everything though and is one of the greatest strikers of all time, if not the greatest. But finishing wise. God was money.

Wrong answer.
I didnt say one or the other, I just said they are completely different players.

Who is better John Terry or Wayne Rooney?

Completely different players. If you want a midfielder to sit in midfield and dictate a game with his tempo, vision and passing. Pirlo. If you want a midfielder to maraud forward, create havoc with pace and power and score goals. Gerrard.

I didnt say one or the other, I just said they are completely different players.

Who is better John Terry or Wayne Rooney?

Completely different players. If you want a midfielder to sit in midfield and dictate a game with his tempo, vision and passing. Pirlo. If you want a midfielder to maraud forward, create havoc with pace and power and score goals. Gerrard.
Except they are both centre midfielders. ......

Except they are both centre midfielders. ......

Makelele and Fabregas are both central mids, but can't be compared

For the record, Gerrard no contest. Pirlo spent loads of his career being carried in midfield by the likes of Gattuso and always went missing as soon as someone put a man on him. Got better as a player as he grow a lot older but Gerrard was consistently brilliant back in the same days.

But apparently if I say that it'd mean I'm bias, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I will say about Ronaldo is that he is the ultimate athlete. Incredibly powerful, fast and strong. Heard he can do the 100m in 10 and a half seconds or something crazy like that. Messi will never be the athlete that Ronaldo is but certainly is the better footballer. Messi would be truly unstoppable if he had Ronaldo's physique.

Makelele and Fabregas are both central mids, but can't be compared

For the record, Gerrard no contest. Pirlo spent loads of his career being carried in midfield by the likes of Gattuso and always went missing as soon as someone put a man on him. Got better as a player as he grow a lot older but Gerrard was consistently brilliant back in the same days.

But apparently if I say that it'd mean I'm bias, right?
Midfielders can be compared especially if you are comparing Messi and Ronaldo who are very different players. It was more a text of Jods pool bias and did you just premptively answer a question hahaha. I can understand that lots of people who dont watch much Serie A would think that but nah. Funny how you mention players going missing when Gerrard has been marked out of every game this season as he's not a smart enough player. Back on topic now.

One thing I will say about Ronaldo is that he is the ultimate athlete. Incredibly powerful, fast and strong. Heard he can do the 100m in 10 and a half seconds or something crazy like that. Messi will never be the athlete that Ronaldo is but certainly is the better footballer. Messi would be truly unstoppable if he had Ronaldo's physique.
Ronaldo wasn't always like that. He worked his ass off after his second season in england to get faster and stronger and is now a supreme athlete. I imagine that Messi never really needed that level of strength playing in Spain.

Ronaldo wasn't always like that. He worked his ass off after his second season in england to get faster and stronger and is now a supreme athlete. I imagine that Messi never really needed that level of strength playing in Spain.

His natural physique meant that he'd never be a "beast" so to speak. Without hormone treatment as a child he wouldn't have been able to play football professionally.

His natural physique meant that he'd never be a "beast" so to speak. Without hormone treatment as a child he wouldn't have been able to play football professionally.
I know that, I'm just saying that Ronaldo worked on it. Messi's low centre of gravity helps him a lot with dribbling and skills.

Since Ronaldo & Messi have both been playing in La Liga Messi has 72 assists in La Liga and Ronaldo has 49 assists. Not quite sure how your maths stack up but that's a helluiva lot more than a difference of 6 assists.

Source: http://messivsronaldo.net/

Messi has never played solely as a central forward, he plays all over the forward line. He's just a superior player and the stats clearly spell that out despite your efforts to disregard them.
Their difference in assists was 6 at the start of the season, after 5 years.

Messi was a central forward, I'll talk about him in the past tense. There was never a forward more central than him. Etoo was shipped off when Messi came through, Ibra got shafted because he refused to play wide, Villa shafted wide or benched. He scored a higher % of goals for his team than Ronaldo did because he had to be the main man but in the end he still couldn't outscore Ronaldo.

La Liga suffers from extremely poor teams towards the bottom end and it is these teams that Ronaldo puts copious amounts of goals away against, usually when they are already 3-4 goals or more behind and demoralised.
Where'd you pluck that one from?

First player ever to score in 6 consecutive clasicos.

Finals: 11 games 10 goals ---- (Includes League and European Cups)

Semi - Finals: 21 games 11 goals

Quarter - Finals: 22 games 15 goals

Midfielders can be compared especially if you are comparing Messi and Ronaldo who are very different players. It was more a text of Jods pool bias and did you just premptively answer a question hahaha. I can understand that lots of people who dont watch much Serie A would think that but nah. Funny how you mention players going missing when Gerrard has been marked out of every game this season as he's not a smart enough player. Back on topic now.

Smart enough player? The bias goes both ways my friend

He's playing where the manager tells him to play, he's been alright, nullified in two games or so, but has gone forward and counter it on occasions. Ridiculous conclusion to draw from isolated matches. He was the driving force of the midfield in our run last season

And he's 34 playing in this new role, so if he isn't smart enough to adapt then I shudder to think what a dumb player would do being told to do something entirely different at 34

And Ronaldo/Messi have far more in common than different midfield roles do

Smart enough player? The bias goes both ways my friend

He's playing where the manager tells him to play, he's been alright, nullified in two games or so, but has gone forward and counter it on occasions. Ridiculous conclusion to draw from isolated matches. He was the driving force of the midfield in our run last season

And he's 34 playing in this new role, so if he isn't smart enough to adapt then I shudder to think what a dumb player would do being told to do something entirely different at 34

And Ronaldo/Messi have far more in common than different midfield roles do
Jod was saying that I can't compare rooney to terry. At least the 2 i mention play in the same area of the pitch. Your 2nd last post on here explains that you prefer Messi over Ronaldo as Messi is an artist. That is my exact thought when comparing a dominant central midfielder who controls the whole game with a box to box mid. To your last point, Ryan Giggs move from the wing to central midfield at 35 with ease. Lets have the is gerrard a smart/good holding mid convo at the end of the season when the sample size is bigger. Anyway, i have Ronaldo and Messi equal at the moment. Messi is younger but getting more injuries these days. I don't agree with the argument that Messi is just coming into his prime either. Players peak at different ages. Rooney was better at 21 than he is now.

Well Gerrard was a dominant central midfielder back in his day, who also happens to be box to box, but then again the definition of the word "dominance" is gonna get disputed here, isn't it

Ryan Giggs got terribly bypassed in tougher more physical games at central mid, he moved there with "ease" because Ferguson chose the right games that he can play in and rest him in the ones he can't.

The dissing of Gerrard is hilarious anyhow

Well Gerrard was a dominant central midfielder back in his day, who also happens to be box to box, but then again the definition of the word "dominance" is gonna get disputed here, isn't it

Ryan Giggs got terribly bypassed in tougher more physical games at central mid, he moved there with "ease" because Ferguson chose the right games that he can play in and rest him in the ones he can't.

The dissing of Gerrard is hilarious anyhow
No diss intended mate. Giggs was the wrong comparison but u get what I'm saying. Gerrard was dominant back in the day. As i said, we can have this convo at seasons end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back