Society/Culture Why is Multiculturalism a good thing?

angus BEEF

Debutant
Aug 20, 2010
SEQ
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The default answer to this question appears to be "they increase the variety of restaurant food" but that, to me, seems rather trivial. I've asked this a couple times to different people but no one can give me a clear, tangible benefit to Australia (eg not 'cultural enrichment', whatever that actually means). I'd be interested to see the arguments for greater multiculturalism in the country.

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
The default answer to this question appears to be "they increase the variety of restaurant food" but that, to me, seems rather trivial. I've asked this a couple times to different people but no one can give me a clear, tangible benefit to Australia (eg not 'cultural enrichment', whatever that actually means). I'd be interested to see the arguments for greater multiculturalism in the country.
I guess most of what we enjoy and benefit from, that has come from western society, and all other societies outside of the original Aboriginal society.

But then there is the whole argument about which society is the best for mankind, and what the criteria for judging that is, and where the bias for judging it comes from, etc.

So it's hard to say.

Is there anything wrong with multiculturalism?

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd be interested to see the arguments for greater multiculturalism in the country.
aboriginal-meme-generator-don-t-like-immigration-when-you-leavin-bro-c6824a.jpg

angus BEEF

Debutant
Aug 20, 2010
SEQ
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Is there anything wrong with multiculturalism?

I'm not necessarily opposed to multiculturalism, in fact I'm quite happy for someone to post a bunch of valid reasons. But I believe there needs to be a valid debate of a homogeneous society alongside multiculturalism, instead of the default 'more multiculturalism is always better"

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Australia's obsession with the concept and framing of 'multiculturalism' has it's pros and cons (if you compare it to the context of the US, who tend to accentuate citizen rights more purposefully). There is certainly an aspect of 'multiculturalism' that keeps the problem around, there might have been a fork in the road back in the Whitlam/Fraser days in hindsight when reframing this policy choice would have been more appropriate.

But nevertheless, multiculturalism has done a lot of great things for this country, and will continue to do so. As a term, and what it implies, it's slightly problematic, and fails to assuage some tensions, but even if it's imperfect it's still a damn good policy to have. It's earnest, and that's always a good starting point.

I'm not necessarily opposed to multiculturalism, in fact I'm quite happy for someone to post a bunch of valid reasons. But I believe there needs to be a valid debate of a homogeneous society alongside multiculturalism, instead of the default 'more multiculturalism is always better"

different food
different sports
different ideas
different culture
different clothes and fashion
different interpretations
different arts and music

like it or loathe it, it challenges the way we think and live our lives.

oh, and the woman are hot! I am sure there are some hot blokes to but I will let others judge.

long term I see multiculturalism and the continued rise of the middle class globally reducing war. that can only be a good thing.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
It's certainly a discussion which warrants more vitality. Treating multiculturalism uncritically is where the problems can set in. It's a concept that most people seem to have a grasp on, but not many people understand its functional flaws from a community/citizenry standpoint. To me, multiculturalism is like an adolescent stage policy, a policy we will need to move on from or refine eventually. As a national value and approach to interaction among the citizenry, it's certainly beneficial, but as government policy, multiculturalism isn't the definitive answer.

Last edited:

little graham

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
different food
different sports
different ideas
different culture
different clothes and fashion
different interpretations
different arts and music

like it or loathe it, it challenges the way we think and live our lives.

oh, and the woman are hot! I sure there are some hot blokes to but I will let others judge.

long term I see multiculturalism and the continued rise of the middle class globally reducing war. that can only be a good thing.

Its ironic, all the eastern European and Mediterranean people (not italian) I know, seem to be more likely to agree with some of my views, than an english person/sheep.

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well, why don't you put up some reasons why multiculturalism is bad?

Multiculturalism is going to happen. Unless ebola locks down the entire world, the world will continue to become more multicultural.

So it's something that will continue to happen, no matter what. Benefits are a decrease in racism.

What's the negatives?

Its ironic, all the eastern European and Mediterranean people (not italian) I know, seem to be more likely to agree with some of my views, than an english person/sheep.

I'm not sure of your views but yes; I am of eastern european blood

angus BEEF

Debutant
Aug 20, 2010
SEQ
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well, why don't you put up some reasons why multiculturalism is bad?

Australia operates best as a country united; and a clash of cultures is a means of division which inevitably leads to tensions between populations.

I fairly weak reason I know, but I think you missed my point, what I really wanted to know is why it is a universally accepted fact 'more multiculturalism is better'

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Australia operates best as a country united; and a clash of cultures is a means of division which inevitably leads to tensions between populations.

I fairly weak reason I know, but I think you missed my point, what I really wanted to know is why it is a universally accepted fact 'more multiculturalism is better'
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I feel like you want to say something, but you are waiting for the thread to run a little, first.

When you think of multiculturalism, are you thinking of middle easterners and "us"?
Or are you thinking about the culture sharing between aussies, Chinese, Americans, British, French, Spanish, et al?

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City

Finding a completely homogeneous society in a globalised world's nigh on impossible. This country's been multicultural since the first fleet, and successive waves of migrants have added to the prosperity of this country as well as to it's cultural diversity. Why is cultural diversity such a good thing? Different views, beliefs and customs only benefits a heterogeneous society as opposed to the risk of groupthink of homogeneity. Cultural diversity promotes trade links, and with Australia's skilled migrants program we are seeing an influx of more educated, talented and entrepreneurial migrants.

Personally, I've benefited from multiculturalism as I'm naturally curious of the "other". Have learnt a lot about other cultures because of this and I find it interesting the way other cultures assimilate, so that there is an identifiable Italian-Australian, Turkish-Australian etc.

angus BEEF

Debutant
Aug 20, 2010
SEQ
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I feel like you want to say something, but you are waiting for the thread to run a little, first.

When you think of multiculturalism, are you thinking of middle easterners and "us"?
Or are you thinking about the culture sharing between aussies, Chinese, Americans, British, French, Spanish, et al?

I don't think it's as clear cut as that. My question was more directed at how Australian culture should adapt to be more accommodating of foreign cultures coming to our shores, obviously this shift would have to be more pronounced when looking at middle eastern cultures/beliefs/values compared to how we might have to accommodate a culturally similar nation such as UK or USA.

Yep that is definitely a draw back and an issue for the last most recent wave of immigrants.

Within a generation that dissipates and the next generation is accepted as one of our own.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
I get to look upon some of the most beautiful people ever to grace this planet, if I visit Dandenong, and am privileged to see those Nigerians who are doing their shopping at the same time as me.

Floor Pie

Cancelled
May 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think it's as clear cut as that. My question was more directed at how Australian culture should adapt to be more accommodating of foreign cultures coming to our shores, obviously this shift would have to be more pronounced when looking at middle eastern cultures/beliefs/values compared to how we might have to accommodate a culturally similar nation such as UK or USA.
That is a very different question to your OP, but I feel we are getting closer to your point.

To skip some steps, should we try and get right to it?

Basically you think that Middle Eastern culture is too different to Australian culture, and that they cannot work together?

Possible concern being to lose our Australian culture?
Or maybe the concern is Sharia law will take over?

The thing is, you think that the cultures are too different, to ever work together, yeah?

Nothing wrong with thinking that. Plenty of Aussies have thought the same thing every time there is a noticeable increase of certain ethnic groups.
Greeks, Vietnamese, etc
Some people thought the cultures were too different, and could never be compatible. Some even screamed it from the roof tops, and took to the streets.

But, it turns out, once we became more multicultural, and gained a better understanding of their customs, we realised that they were not so different from us. And that we could all get along.

angus BEEF

Debutant
Aug 20, 2010
SEQ
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That is a very different question to your OP, but I feel we are getting closer to your point.

To skip some steps, should we try and get right to it?

Basically you think that Middle Eastern culture is too different to Australian culture, and that they cannot work together?

Possible concern being to lose our Australian culture?
Or maybe the concern is Sharia law will take over?

The thing is, you think that the cultures are too different, to ever work together, yeah?

Nothing wrong with thinking that. Plenty of Aussies have thought the same thing every time there is a noticeable increase of certain ethnic groups.
Greeks, Vietnamese, etc
Some people thought the cultures were too different, and could never be compatible. Some even screamed it from the roof tops, and took to the streets.

But, it turns out, once we became more multicultural, and gained a better understanding of their customs, we realised that they were not so different from us. And that we could all get along.

I know it can be a very touchy subject, and quite often it can bring the worst out in people including idiots who think 'Sharia will take over' or that it's 'us vs them' and sadly it usually those people who are the spokesman for the subject but I was hoping for an educated discussion.

No I'm not saying cultures are too different to ever work together but it does provide added challenges that would not be prevalent in a mainly homogeneous society. A lot people would agree that there is teething problems accepting a new community into the country, but what I am really after is for someone to explain the benefits of seeing out the teething periods like we had with the Greeks, Vietnamese, etc that you mention.

Perhaps you need to ask yourself the reverse question; is there a need for a return of the White Australia Policy??

angus BEEF

Debutant
Aug 20, 2010
SEQ
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Multiculturalism is necessary, otherwise we'd end up in a horrible monocultural mess like Japan.o_O

But seriously, it's necessary - but unfortunately those that promote it don't understand how it works.
Genuinely curious, can you elaborate?

Back