Society/Culture Why is Multiculturalism a good thing?

Remove this Banner Ad

We've always been a multicultural country. The indigenous people who were here when the British arrived weren't all of one culture. Then you add the English, Irish, Scots, Welsh...the Chinese have been here for well over a century...Germans and Dutch for ages, too. So we either embrace it and enjoy the benefits or we pretend all those other groups don't/didn't exist and this "Aussie" culture just sprang up out of nothing.

Don't forget the Afghans.

First mosque was built in Swan Hill about 150 years ago. So anyone of Mediterranean or European descent who has a problem with asylum seekers might want to rethink their position.

First mosque was built in Swan Hill about 150 years ago. So anyone of Mediterranean or European descent who has a problem with asylum seekers might want to rethink their position.
Are you stereotyping refugees?

I thought the first mosque was built by the Afghan camel drivers in Maree.

I thought the first mosque was built by the Afghan camel drivers in Maree.

I really need to stop being so ignorant of, and mean to, South Australia.

It wasn't Swan Hill, it was Broken Hill. And before that it was Maree.

I stand corrected.

Why is it a good thing?

Well firstly it is an inevitable thing - it's an inevitable result of the mobility created by Capitalism and the diaspora of globalism. Which is why right wingers s**t me on this issue. They want a free market, they want globalism, but reject its social reality (like multiculturalism). Hypocrites! Secondly, in the Australian context, multiculturalism is very successful. It has empirically improved our nation economically and socially. Especially socially and culturally - we were a s**t, colonial, end of the earth nation before multiculturalism.

If it's inevitable then why do we spend so much money making it happen?

We spend a heck of a lot to stop it. And charge people to become Australian.

I know what you were trying to say. You were being deliberately obtuse.

Here's an interesting (or perhaps not) tidbit re multiculturalism in Australia. In 1988 Howard released his One Australia Policy. Does anyone remember that gem? This policy was opposed to multiculturalism on the grounds that it was apparently diluting our sense of (Anglo) national identity. He was specific about race, too - Asian immigration in particular should be drastically reduced. This (frankly racist) position appealed to his lunar right wing base, though that wouldn't be realised until later, when One Nation took up his policy in its entirety and stole votes from him. In the interim Howard had to disown it, as it was unpopular in his own party, and there was a marked decline in investment from Asian Business as a result, even though he was only opposition leader at the time. His One Australia Policy played a big role in his knifing as leader that year. He then disowned this policy as PM for fear of the potential economic fall out, and due to his growing popularity among Asian-Australian voters (oh irony!). But beyond the facade his racist rejection of a multicultural Australia never really died. This became apparent in an interview with either the BBC or the Hoover Institute (I forget which) after his time as PM, where he returned to criticizing Australia's multiculturalism.

You know, it's funny. One almost forgets what an insipid, intellectually limited, and two-faced idiot he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its also important to remember that multicultural societies tend to last longer and be more influential and powerful than monocultural societies.

Tunnels in Sydney are inevitable...
Everything costs money....even the inevitable.

If not for multiculturism generation Y could afford to live in Glen Waverly, Box Hill, Ringwood/Clayton... that says it all really.

The market is now a whopping 40% investors (almost half the homes out there are being used as commodities occupied with everyday people servicing these pigs mortgages as their own personal debt slaves). Now generation y will be slaving their wealth offshore instead of being sucked dry and robbed out of a middle class lifestyle by baby boomers. But instead of greedy boomers using other people to service their own debts it will now be foreigners, and the money will go offshore.

I think some people really struggle to see the difference between immigration and multiculturalism.

Australia is not a smart country.

But thankfully you take time out of your day to educate the Bigfooty masses

Not really man, it's a simple matter of just opening a dictionary as far as I'm concerned.

You can have multiple cultures in the same ethnic group.

I think some people really struggle to see the difference between immigration and multiculturalism.

Australia is not a smart country.
Too many uneducated bogans.
Unbelievably some of these dunces can't differentiate between illegal immigrants and asylum seekers.
Or that the vast majority of illegal immigrants arrive via plane with visas from democratic economically secure states.

Too many uneducated bogans.
Unbelievably some of these dunces can't differentiate between illegal immigrants and asylum seekers.
Or that the vast majority of illegal immigrants arrive via plane with visas from democratic economically secure states.

And some dunces haven't worked out that if people arrive in Australia on a plane with a passport and a visa we know who they are, and can process their claim expeditiously.

As opposed to the people who fly to Indonesia on a plane then get on a boat and dispose of any identifying documentation in the hope that we accept their bogus tales of oppression.

And some dunces haven't worked out that if people arrive in Australia on a plane with a passport and a visa we know who they are, and can process their claim expeditiously.

As opposed to the people who fly to Indonesia on a plane then get on a boat and dispose of any identifying documentation in the hope that we accept their bogus tales of oppression.
If 1/100th of the money and effort available were expended to address the problem of fly-ins who overstay their visas, I'd believe that the Australian government were serious about this 'problem'. To do that would glean no votes from the unthinking knee-jerks though.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back