Why is there a Fitzroy board?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rather than trying to by funny/whimsical/pithy, perhaps your energy would be better spent in efforts ensuring you're not having to mount a similar case about maintaining a Big Footy board five years from now...
Well, that's 5 years. How's your prediction going? :D

Could I just remind all visitors to this board that:

1) Fitzroy Football Club still exists. Fitzroy still has over 1100 members, 10 years after we were removed from the AFL. 2007 Fitzroy Football Club memberships will soon be out. www.fitzroyfc.com.au

2) Fitzroy were in the VFL-AFL competition for 100 years and we have plenty to talk about. 8 premierships and 8 Brownlows for a start.

3) Some of our former players still are involved in the AFL. For example
Senior coaches: Paul Roos(Syd), Ross Lyon (StK)
Assistant coaches John Blakey (Syd), Ken Hinkley (Gee).

4) And if you want a further present day connection, the 'Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club' (trading as the 'Brisbane Lions') also plays in the AFL. Fitzroy Football is still making the news and did so as recently as July 2006 and also in December 2004. The Fitzroy guernsey is still worn in the AFL (twice in 2005) and will be worn again, possibly in 2007.

Furthermore I move that any such thread-starters of this topic on this board be permantly banned from future posting on the Fitzroy board and the thread locked, or better yet, deleted.

Extremely good post.

They merged well before I took an interest in the game.

But their colours and their moniker live on proudly, and are 3 flags richer for it.

My NRL team merged. And we won a comp in 2005. I don't see it as anything other than unadulterated success. Even though Balmain didn't hold up the cup, the Tigers did.

Fitzroy are an intrinsic fibre on the fabric the fibre that is the AFL. They deserve their own board.

The way I see it is if you're in the AFL now you get a board. Are fitzroy in the afl now? No. Therefore no board. Go discuss your fitzroy stuff in the local footy boards if your so adamant that they "still play in the vafa". On top of the Home>Forums>AFL TEAMS>Fitzroy. Don't cook up a stink because your team were forced to merge. The Brisbane Lions are trading as "The Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club" Go make a sub-board there or talk in the Local Footy board.

The way I see it is if you're in the AFL now you get a board. Are fitzroy in the afl now? No. Therefore no board. Go discuss your fitzroy stuff in the local footy boards if your so adamant that they "still play in the vafa". On top of the Home>Forums>AFL TEAMS>Fitzroy. Don't cook up a stink because your team were forced to merge. The Brisbane Lions are trading as "The Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club" Go make a sub-board there or talk in the Local Footy board.
Fitzroy is more deserving of a board than GW$, as Fitzroy are a real club. Hell even today the Roys are more deserving to be in the AFL than GW$. No one asked for your irrelevant, soulless franchise.

Lost you at "The way I see it". Perhaps you think you matter.

Fitzroy is more deserving of a board than GW$, as Fitzroy are a real club. Hell even today the Roys are more deserving to be in the AFL than GW$. No one asked for your irrelevant, soulless franchise.
Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. Firstly l don't go for GWS. it was a bet that I lost. Secondly, the AFL wanted a second NSW team so GWS aren't irrelevant. Fitzroy were bankrupt and couldn't win a game in 96. Fitzroy aren't in the AFL, shouldn't have a board on AFL teams. Simple.

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. Firstly l don't go for GWS. it was a bet that I lost. Secondly, the AFL wanted a second NSW team so GWS aren't irrelevant. Fitzroy were bankrupt and couldn't win a game in 96. Fitzroy aren't in the AFL, shouldn't have a board on AFL teams. Simple.
Rd 8, 1996 : Fitzroy 16.11.107 def Fremantle 11.10.76 :p

You lost a bet and now you have to support GWS? o_O

NSW didn't want another team. The AFL only put them there for money. Hence GW$.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extremely good post.

They merged well before I took an interest in the game.

But their colours and their moniker live on proudly, and are 3 flags richer for it.

My NRL team merged. And we won a comp in 2005. I don't see it as anything other than unadulterated success. Even though Balmain didn't hold up the cup, the Tigers did.

Fitzroy are an intrinsic fibre on the fabric the fibre that is the AFL. They deserve their own board.
They certainly do. I'm a Victorian and I will never forget the Royboys, I like the Lions to, but really the old Fitzroy who I watched many times were a traditional club out of the traditional home.

Fizzler the simplest thing to do is, if you don't want to recongize us, then don't come here.
We are not going anywhere, and we've been through this discussion several times over with other interlopers who want to try and stir s**t up, hence the 49 pages of this thread. This is place for people who supported and still support the Fitzroy Football club in whatever form they have and do take.
You said you weren't around in 96, so it's fair to say that yes, this part of bigfooty is irrelevant to you, but it is not to us.
If you want to keep stirring s**t up fine, but don't start getting huffy when the Roy brigade put you back into you place as they have done to countless other posters. So just do us a favour, go away.

Fizzler the simplest thing to do is, if you don't want to recongize us, then don't come here.
We are not going anywhere, and we've been through this discussion several times over with other interlopers who want to try and stir s**t up, hence the 49 pages of this thread. This is place for people who supported and still support the Fitzroy Football club in whatever form they have and do take.
You said you weren't around in 96, so it's fair to say that yes, this part of bigfooty is irrelevant to you, but it is not to us.
If you want to keep stirring s**t up fine, but don't start getting huffy when the Roy brigade put you back into you place as they have done to countless other posters. So just do us a favour, go away.
Alright. Goodnight. Sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite. I'm off.

Alright. Goodnight. Sleep tight. Don't let the bed bugs bite. I'm off.

Well done a*******. The smartest thing that you have ever done in your life. In fact probably the only smart thing you have ever done.

And don't ever contemplate coming back. Your opinions count for nothing.

I really do not understand the mentality of coming here in that manner. No one forces anyone to visit the Fitzroy board.

The reasons for the continued existence of the board have been well articulated. The board will not be disappearing- that is the verdict from admin and supers- so continuing to come here whining as to why it shouldn't exist is tantamount to trolling.

Roylion and Mobbenfuhrer are well within their rights to view those who continue to disrespect the territory very dimly indeed, and so do Admin and Supers.

Just dropping in for a look. Can I ask, when the merger happened did any of you jump ship to another team or did you stick it with the lions? Also the VAFA Fitzroy should enter the VFL as a stand alone, unless the lions could give them a little. They mightn't want money from the lions and considering the lions NEAFL team they probably couldn't afford it anyway but still, Fitzroy to VFL in 10 Years??

Just dropping in for a look. Can I ask, when the merger happened did any of you jump ship to another team or did you stick it with the lions? Also the VAFA Fitzroy should enter the VFL as a stand alone, unless the lions could give them a little. They mightn't want money from the lions and considering the lions NEAFL team they probably couldn't afford it anyway but still, Fitzroy to VFL in 10 Years??
I hung around with the lions for a coupke of years but never felt it, switched to my mums team, the Dogs, been a proud Doggue ever since.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back