Why Lions fans have had enough (From 5/5/2015 Non NSW and QLD club supporters will be carded)

Remove this Banner Ad

Will probably be 5-30 first 7 rounds last 5 years.

Disappointing because this is when it counts.

People haven't wanted to talk about it previously, but it comes back to the same thing for me and that is fitness. Burton started at the lions in 2010. Seems to me we start beings the eight ball every year then as fitness builds throughout the year we start to catch the other teams and the win lose ledger starts changing....

You'd think the players fitness would be very closely monitored with GPS and times during preseason. The club should have a very good idea of how fit the team is in comparison to other teams.

To be honest I think Burton is being scape-goated a little bit. We showed we can run games out in round 1 - to me our lapses are clearly concentration based rather than fitness.
Effort != fitness. :thumbsu:

I don't think Burton gets a free pass given I think we're lacking in the strength department, but we have lot fewer soft tissue injuries than we used to and we also run out four quarters a lot lot better than we used to.

There are two major issues at the monent:

Player Retention
Ability to sign free agents.

Like our game plan style or not, the one thing Leppa has really been good at and we can all agree on is his work on making players feel at home and part of the team.

Yet we still have Aish with one foot out the door.

Also our financial situation is greatly hampering our ability to compete on and off the field.

I have said before, if this was the USA and I was the private owner of the Brisbane Lions and my goal was to make money and win premierships. This team would be the Tasmanian Lions.

Its not that I don't love Brisbane and I don't think it should have a footy team. But sadly the current set up of the AFL (No living away from home allowance, scheduling of games, training facilities, pitch in the middle of the GABBA) you would have no other choice in a business sense but to move.

We will not be competitive on or off the field until the AFL give us the ability to be able to compete (Even with our cousins down the road).

Yep, spot on LB.

And it isn't beyond the realms of possibility. Another way to look at it, is that the AFL funding/supporting us is a situation that will be required for at least another 20 years, if not longer. And I have to confess, supporting a club which is essentially on life support constantly isn't terribly exciting.

Consider this - I lived in Brisbane all my life and have moved 2.5hrs drive north on the coast. There's just no point in renewing my membership - I have no friends living in Brisbane who watch footy, so I'm not going to drive 5 hours total and watch us get smashed in the middle. That's almost 500kms driving. So add another $70 on for petrol.

And this is a simple business reality. I'm applying the doctrine of cost-benefit, which is of course the exact thing the business community do. Even when we were at the very top, we rarely sold the Gabba out. As a potential sponsor....what am I getting out of this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I think Burton is being scape-goated a little bit. We showed we can run games out in round 1 - to me our lapses are clearly concentration based rather than fitness.
This. I mean how the * can it be a fitness issue when we give up within the first 5 minutes? Our new recruits in Beams, Bundy and Robbo all said it was their toughest preseasons to date as well. The huge list turnover isn't doing Burton any favours either so he hasn't really had enough time to develope the fitness base of our team as a whole. I look at the players that have been here a few preseasons and they are fine fitness wise. The problem that I do see is that they are just not willing to play at a high intensity which they are definitely capable of as seen Vs Pies in the last quarter.

I was shouted down as a lazy analyst of the game plan apparently because I said we are horrible because of our lack of effort. I wasn't even bothering analysing our game firstly because their is no point if we haven't even been playing to the game plan because of the lack of effort!!

This. I mean how the **** can it be a fitness issue when we give up within the first 5 minutes? Our new recruits in Beams, Bundy and Robbo all said it was their toughest preseasons to date as well. The huge list turnover isn't doing Burton any favours either so he hasn't really had enough time to develope the fitness base of our team as a whole. I look at the players that have been here a few preseasons and they are fine fitness wise. The problem that I do see is that they are just not willing to play at a high intensity which they are definitely capable of as seen Vs Pies in the last quarter.

I was shouted down as a lazy analyst of the game plan apparently because I said we are horrible because of our lack of effort. I wasn't even bothering analysing our game firstly because their is no point if we haven't even been playing to the game plan because of the lack of effort!!

Spot on Lord Sizington. We have a few downhill skier 'cream on top' players now.

These blokes came in expecting the existing midfield to do the hard yards and the existing midfield expected the new guys to lift us to some new level.

why bother trying when maguire wont let brisbane be good

not allowed to have the extra space because his side lost 2 gf's in a row

and now this years draft is going to be ruined having to use most of the picks on keys because brisbane are not allowed to have any advantages

whats the point???

Sorry your awesome thread is getting ruined Last of the Roys.

Ah yes, and this is such a constructive contribution :p

Back to topic though...

The stats that Last of the Roys has dilligently provided shows that Lions fans have a good reason to be frustrated with our season starts, but still doesn't explain why it's happening. I think it is different under the coaches. Last year we could say it was Leppas first season etc. Now what do we say? Can coaches (or games plans) get the second year blues?

What I saw in round 1 was pretty basic stuff. We weren't first to the ball, and we didn't "want" the ball enough. It's a problem in local footy because the players aren't being paid to put their bodies on the line, so it's safer/easier to let the opposition get there and then try to hurt them. Except the Lions weren't even hurting the opposition by letting them take position. We were giving them space (both ways) except for a brief stint.

Yesterday we just weren't hard enough at the man, but at least we showed a bit more enthusiasm for the ball. Some of this is an age profile issue. There is a time to corral your opponent, and there's a time to tackle. Almost across the whole team, we chose the easier option and it gave West Coast the momentum and broke our momentum a few times.

The upside is that we were going for the ball much more, but we were butchering our possession, and paying the price for that.

The best highlight of the day though was Leppa's press conference. There was no panic, no woe is me, the sky is falling, or faux disappointment/anger. He was taciturn and he was methodical. He said he would stay the course, that these young men needed more time in the middle, and that their decision making would improve with experience.

He's right. We all need to take a leaf out of his book. Instead of going ballistic negative about the poor results we're seeing we need to put on a dour face, stay calm and stay the course. The rewards will come, but it won't come tomorrow, or next week. Or even next season. But if we persevere and hold our nerve I think we will improve.

But if we, as a club (and as fans), throw a tantrum and change coaches again within the next 4 or 5 years we'll just get stuck in a perpetual rebuilding phase. Like the Demons and Carlton.

Ah yes, and this is such a constructive contribution :p

Back to topic though...

The stats that Last of the Roys has dilligently provided shows that Lions fans have a good reason to be frustrated with our season starts, but still doesn't explain why it's happening. I think it is different under the coaches. Last year we could say it was Leppas first season etc. Now what do we say? Can coaches (or games plans) get the second year blues?

What I saw in round 1 was pretty basic stuff. We weren't first to the ball, and we didn't "want" the ball enough. It's a problem in local footy because the players aren't being paid to put their bodies on the line, so it's safer/easier to let the opposition get there and then try to hurt them. Except the Lions weren't even hurting the opposition by letting them take position. We were giving them space (both ways) except for a brief stint.

Yesterday we just weren't hard enough at the man, but at least we showed a bit more enthusiasm for the ball. Some of this is an age profile issue. There is a time to corral your opponent, and there's a time to tackle. Almost across the whole team, we chose the easier option and it gave West Coast the momentum and broke our momentum a few times.

The upside is that we were going for the ball much more, but we were butchering our possession, and paying the price for that.

The best highlight of the day though was Leppa's press conference. There was no panic, no woe is me, the sky is falling, or faux disappointment/anger. He was taciturn and he was methodical. He said he would stay the course, that these young men needed more time in the middle, and that their decision making would improve with experience.

He's right. We all need to take a leaf out of his book. Instead of going ballistic negative about the poor results we're seeing we need to put on a dour face, stay calm and stay the course. The rewards will come, but it won't come tomorrow, or next week. Or even next season. But if we persevere and hold our nerve I think we will improve.

But if we, as a club (and as fans), throw a tantrum and change coaches again within the next 4 or 5 years we'll just get stuck in a perpetual rebuilding phase. Like the Demons and Carlton.

Dour face it is. Spot on.

Someone really needs to shut Eddie up:

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...ver-lowly-gold-coast-suns-and-brisbane-lions/

He knows nothing about the situation of our club and sooky is still carrying a personal grudge since we smashed his side in 2002 & 2003.
If Collingwood do make the Grand Final in the future, hope a Northern club smashes them just for the lolz :D

But yes, we really need the retention allowance. Victorian ignorants just don't get how tough the market is up here.

"But Ed urged the AFL to show restraint and “just let the pot boil a little bit before going nuts” with potential ways to assist the Lions and Suns that may end up skewing the competition."

Put a brick through your head, Eddie. We know exactly what you mean by this - don't do anything to ensure the rest of the competition has a healthy buffer off the real bottom of the ladder for your Vic clubs. The reason the Lions are a basket case is directly related to the years of inactivity other than the yearly "Here's a million in petty cash, now go back to your corner while we play with our new toy down the coast."

Oh but don't delay on destroying the academy. We need to do that now apparently.

"Pot boil a bit"?

Five years with a highest finish of 12th?

One finals appearance in a decade?

Repeated massive financial losses?

Some was definitely brought on ourselves, but the pot has well and truly boiled over.

"Pot boil a bit"?

Five years with a highest finish of 12th?

One finals appearance in a decade?

Repeated massive financial losses?

Some was definitely brought on ourselves, but the pot has well and truly boiled over.

There's no pot left to boil anything in, let alone over! It's gone, melted, rusted, turned to dust.
There is no pot.

There's no pot left to boil anything in, let alone over! It's gone, melted, rusted, turned to dust.
There is no pot.

It is no more, has ceased to be, bereft of life, it rests in peace.

It's rung down the curtain and gone to join the choir invisibule

This is a DEAD POT!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back