Why not Fyfe the forward??

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
We have plenty of backup defenders, plenty of backup mids and a dire need of a more threatening forward line. With all the outs we currently have people are suggesting our forward line for the North game be Neale, Pav, Crozier. Hardly worrying and a recipe for Pav to be double/triple teamed all day.

I've mentioned Fyfe being the forward before and I'm met with "he's our best mid" "you can't take Fyfe out of the action" etc etc. Our midfield functions well enough without Fyfe, better with him but we managed without him when he was suspended. However our forward line is struggling to net us the goals at the moment. Surely a forward line of Pav, Fyfe, Ballaz (maybe Neale for this week) is a bit more intimidating and effective. It would definitely stop the double up on Pav. At least until some of our better forward options return for selection.

Why do you all think this isn't happening? Am I well off base with this idea?

I am not sure. I think we get the most bang for our buck in keeping him in the middle.

Maybe in the longer term as the big guys retire and he ages then it might be worth it.

But keep in mind that the impending retirements of Pavlich, McPharlin, Sandilands will mean that some serious spending will be done.... and probably on a big forward or two. And that may reduce the benefit of bringing Fyfe down there anyway.

I've mentioned Fyfe being the forward before and I'm met with "he's our best mid" "you can't take Fyfe out of the action" etc etc. Our midfield functions well enough without Fyfe, better with him but we managed without him when he was suspended.

Our midfield does not function "well enough" without him. We get smashed by the good teams without all of Barlow, Mundy and Fyfe. Pretty simple stuff. It's the most important area of the ground.

Maybe, just maybe, if Sylvia and Morabito reach their peaks, then we can afford to give Fyfe a bit more time in the forward line. But for now, especially with Barlow out, it simply is not an option for him to be moved from the middle apart from some standard short rests.

The above is all with reference to the good teams. But even against the s**t teams, it is best to stick with the same structures/plans as we would use against the good sides.

Ross made an important point yesterday that made me think. He said it is more important to follow the structures that have been successful for us. And that it's more important that our current players play their role better than throwing around the structures.

We have a few forwards coming back in Ballas, Walters, Gumby, Griff, Apeness coming through and Tabs. As long as the structure and teamwork stays together we will improve

I think you have to keep Fyfe in the middle for now. His marking around the ground & clearance work is too valuable.
As stated, we have Ballaz, Sylvia (eventually) , Kep, Gumby, Walters to come back and a beauty in Apeness in the works.
I'd like to see him rest forward a bit more, but with Barlow out its hard. Especially when others have down games.

We have plenty of backup defenders, plenty of backup mids and a dire need of a more threatening forward line. With all the outs we currently have people are suggesting our forward line for the North game be Neale, Pav, Crozier. Hardly worrying and a recipe for Pav to be double/triple teamed all day.

I've mentioned Fyfe being the forward before and I'm met with "he's our best mid" "you can't take Fyfe out of the action" etc etc. Our midfield functions well enough without Fyfe, better with him but we managed without him when he was suspended. However our forward line is struggling to net us the goals at the moment. Surely a forward line of Pav, Fyfe, Ballaz (maybe Neale for this week) is a bit more intimidating and effective. It would definitely stop the double up on Pav. At least until some of our better forward options return for selection.

I like your train of thought here. We really need to start thinking outside of the box; the truth is we have an amazing array of midfielders (and even some defenders) who could play forward if need be,

Fyfe: Excellent aerial ability and accurate kick for goal
Mundy: Excellent accuracy and ability to find the ball just outside the forward 50.
Hill: Great reach and effective kick.
D. Pearce: small target that can play in the like of Ballanytne.
Mzungu: Recently been an incredible accurate kick for goal and bobs up at the right time.
Barlow: Same as above, especially as a crumbing forward.
C. Pearce: Monstrous kick for goal and accurate
Crowley: Same as above
Johnson: Accurate kick for goal and great aerial ability

So many guys that can play up there if need be; to answer your question out of all of those players Fyfe would be the most ideal. Everyone keeps talking about keep structures but is it really worth it at the cost of maybe 4-5 goals?

We're relying on Pavlich to kick 3-4 and I wouldn't expect any more than 3-4 between Mayne, Crozier and Taberner. That's another 8-10 goals we'll need from midfielders; by putting in Fyfe in the forward line I reckon we're guaranteed atleast an extra 3-4 goals.

I'd love to see more of him forward especially this weekend against North but he is too valuable in the middle. We even had Pav running in the midfield against Sydney at times because we are lacking the bigger body that Barlow provides.

Fyfe has the best set of hands in the league, some of the marks he has taken I have no idea how he does it, even with blokes hanging off him, falling to ground, off balance he just clunks them clean.

If Neale, Sheridan & Suban could stand up in the midfield we might see a bit more of it and despite the GF (and BigFooty morons who bake his kicking) he is a very good set shot on goal.

It's a similar conundrum to what GC probably have with Gablett Jr. We need him forward, but we win with him in the midfield.. We'll just have to kick most of our goals through the midfield instead this week. I'm sure we'll no doubt pinch a fair few thru there this weekend anyway with Crowley averaging a goal a game so far this season. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to see Fyfe rotate forward more, but once we have Barlow and Mora playing. Fyfe and Mora rotating through forward line would be fantastic - then in future one will stand out as principally forward.

I think that the development of Walters and the bringing in of Sylvia are part of the mix to release Fyfe and Mundy forward for short periods. In the GF last year in the 3rd quarter we came right back into the game but it was during the last 5-10 minutes of that quarter that we lost some momentum, mainly IMO because our midfield couldn't keep the momentum going. I think maybe Gu and Deboer had a run through there and we lost some of the ground we made up.
Fyfe is certain to spend time up forward in the same way that Dangerfield does, often to shake a tag. Although I don't think that he will be named as a KPF unless one of our young kids stands up in a way that pretty much nobody here expects them too, buddies aside.
Right now with what weave (sic) got he is still most needed in the centre.

Sorry what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back