Why not have a Tigers Academy like the Swans?

Remove this Banner Ad

might be worthwhile, have to do a business case

600 players processed, 1 (maybe 2) have made it to AFL, and then you still have to F/S bid for them

600 players processed, 1 (maybe 2) have made it to AFL, and then you still have to F/S bid for them

If the AFL even allowed it. I have no problem with the setup Sydney have right now. If they start producing 5-6 AFL level players it adds to the talent pool and this year there looks like a few will get drafted.

If the AFL even allowed it. I have no problem with the setup Sydney have right now. If they start producing 5-6 AFL level players it adds to the talent pool and this year there looks like a few will get drafted.

That's a big if. So far we have a total of one, at an outlay of $300k for the lions and much more for the swans

Your spending potentially as much as we do on our VFL team for a 0.18% strike rate

And we will just get the AFL to fix up the bill

The afl contribution is $250k, the clubs bear the rest.

If the afl is not willing to fully subsidize this for expansion league clubs, no chance they will for us

That's a big if. So far we have a total of one, at an outlay of $300k for the lions and much more for the swans

Your spending potentially as much as we do on our VFL team for a 0.18% strike rate

How long has it been going for?? Yet to get the first generation through it yet. Sports academy's take a good ten years at best to start producing consistent results.

How long has it been going for?? Yet to get the first generation through it yet. Sports academy's take a good ten years at best to start producing consistent results.

The swans one has been up since 2010, processing approx 500 players a year (from their website)

This is an important point. We are not talking personal training here. With these sorts of numbers it is a sausage factory, and more akin to a clinic.

Players start as young as 11, so you'd expect a massive drop off as they hit the mid teens and kids naturally start rationalizing the sports they do.

For the huge cost involved, I just think we can get better bang for our buck using the resources elsewhere.

This helps the NSW/QLD clubs build a footy culture in their states a notch slightly above grassroots. It's hardly an elite training program like the soccer ones in the uk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and the AFL picks up the bill..... Sydney run at a loss every year
I understand your point(being that the swans are bankrolled still), I was just clarifying the part that the afl is paying for some of the cost. I don't think the swans is bankrolled these days the same as they were in yesteryear.

I think we should have one, name it Tyrone Vickery house or something similar

We were gunna call it the "Dean Cox Memorial School for Kids Who Can't Take a Punch Good and Want to Throw Elbows Good Too", but the eagles advised us they got in first :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back