Why Sunday's loss shouldn't worry us

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After Sunday's loss, there seems to be a fair bit of doubt amougnst Hawks supporter and also neutrals that this team has what it takes to achieve a 3peat. So i thought I would point out a couple of reasons why I think we are still a great chance for the premiships this year.

For most of the preseason I said we were our biggest danger, closely followed by Sydney.
After Sunday's game I felt absolutely deflated as my prediction was coming to fruition, we could cost our selfs the premiships.

Dispite this, it has led me to one postive, something i think all other hawk fans should also see.

The loss on the weekend left me with a feeling of despair 'are we good enough?' But then I realized I have felt this at one stage or another the last three seasons and the Hawks have always come through, being a legitimate premiships contender the last three years.

In 2012, after 5 rounds we were 2-3 and I thought we were gone, we then went on to dominate the rest of the home and away season.

In 2013, after the round One loss To Geelong i thought we were just never going to take advantage of the great list we had, we then went on to equal our most successful season ever.

Again in 2013, 3qt time of the prelim final. 20 points down, I thought we gone, destined for a third year of disappointment in a row. Then we staged one of our greatest come backs, paving the way to our 11th flag.

In 2014, after the back to back losses to Sydney and port coupled with all the injurys I thought our chances of defending the premiship were little to none, and we all know how that season turned out.

My point is that after this weeks loss, wich no doubt left many with a feeling of doubt, is that it is one we have encountered in the last 3 season, yet we have over come it to prove ourselves a champion team.

So remember hawk supporters, we may have hiccups along the way, but as it stands we are a fantastic team and I belive we still have the drive and ability for a third successive flag.

A reality check is what we needed. Our last couple of games before last weekend may have made the players feel invincible. Losing to * should surely fire the players up for the season to come.

Got to be honest, I'm finding it a bit hard to care.

Don't get me wrong - I was gutted in those final minutes when I realised we were about to throw away the lead (I was amazed we came as close to winning it back in the final seconds) - but I'm not about to whinge about the way we lost. For all people can say that if we'd had another second, we'd have won, if we'd played anywhere near our usual pace during the first half, we'd have won. So we chucked it away in the first half.

We've done that in the past - notably around 2011 and definitely in the 2012 GF...you can't go missing for quarters and then expect to win. We seemed to really tighten up on this in 2014, playing all four quarters out and not fading.

The most worrying thing, for me, is that I think it shows just how important Mitch is to our structures. It's not always that he plays a blinder, but he definitely draws a star midfielder even on those days when his output is down, so he's super important to the way we set up.

We're definitely good enough - when we've been switched on, we've been brilliant...but we just felt a bit complacent on Sunday. Perhaps it was a bit of a shock to the system after not playing over the summer and then playing two games in a week. If we go 3-3 or something, then I'll get worried, but 1-1 is fine. Hopefully it'll give the boys a bit of a kick to realise that you can't switch off for a bit and still get the result.

Losing to the bombers sucks. But we shouldn't care because we lost by 2 points and a only a couple of seconds without even trying, while Essendon played their best game in 5 years. Water off a ducks back really.

After Sunday's loss, there seems to be a fair bit of doubt amougnst Hawks supporter and also neutrals that this team has what it takes to achieve a 3peat. So i thought I would point out a couple of reasons why I think we are still a great chance for the premiships this year.

For most of the preseason I said we were our biggest danger, closely followed by Sydney.
After Sunday's game I felt absolutely deflated as my prediction was coming to fruition, we could cost our selfs the premiships.

Dispite this, it has led me to one postive, something i think all other hawk fans should also see.

The loss on the weekend left me with a feeling of despair 'are we good enough?' But then I realized I have felt this at one stage or another the last three seasons and the Hawks have always come through, being a legitimate premiships contender the last three years.

In 2012, after 5 rounds we were 2-3 and I thought we were gone, we then went on to dominate the rest of the home and away season.

In 2013, after the round One loss To Geelong i thought we were just never going to take advantage of the great list we had, we then went on to equal our most successful season ever.

Again in 2013, 3qt time of the prelim final. 20 points down, I thought we gone, destined for a third year of disappointment in a row. Then we staged one of our greatest come backs, paving the way to our 11th flag.

In 2014, after the back to back losses to Sydney and port coupled with all the injurys I thought our chances of defending the premiship were little to none, and we all know how that season turned out.

My point is that after this weeks loss, wich no doubt left many with a feeling of doubt, is that it is one we have encountered in the last 3 season, yet we have over come it to prove ourselves a champion team.

So remember hawk supporters, we may have hiccups along the way, but as it stands we are a fantastic team and I belive we still have the drive and ability for a third successive flag.

Thats a very good post you have made.

Got to be honest, I'm finding it a bit hard to care.

Don't get me wrong - I was gutted in those final minutes when I realised we were about to throw away the lead (I was amazed we came as close to winning it back in the final seconds) - but I'm not about to whinge about the way we lost. For all people can say that if we'd had another second, we'd have won, if we'd played anywhere near our usual pace during the first half, we'd have won. So we chucked it away in the first half.

We've done that in the past - notably around 2011 and definitely in the 2012 GF...you can't go missing for quarters and then expect to win. We seemed to really tighten up on this in 2014, playing all four quarters out and not fading.

The most worrying thing, for me, is that I think it shows just how important Mitch is to our structures. It's not always that he plays a blinder, but he definitely draws a star midfielder even on those days when his output is down, so he's super important to the way we set up.

We're definitely good enough - when we've been switched on, we've been brilliant...but we just felt a bit complacent on Sunday. Perhaps it was a bit of a shock to the system after not playing over the summer and then playing two games in a week. If we go 3-3 or something, then I'll get worried, but 1-1 is fine. Hopefully it'll give the boys a bit of a kick to realise that you can't switch off for a bit and still get the result.
Mitch will be around for two more years though. Plenty of time to train protégés

Who's worried? Sounds like you've just jumped off too quickly in the past :)

I have full confidence this team is good enough. We aren't perfect though so the reality check is probably more so for the supporters who expect we win every game by 10 goals plus. I believe the players have a far better grasp on the reality of their situation than many of our supporters do.

I have no doubts we are a better side. I wasn't angry after the siren. My feeling was probably reflective of the players own bemusement at just how unlucky we were to have the siren go when it did. The fact we'd narrowly lost out on 4 points when outside of this game we are a far better side was disappointing but I took solace in the fact that we were so close to winning after only playing our style of footy for just a quarter of the game with 3-4 important senior players missing and quite a few raw (though very promising) recruits.

The anger only came for me once the umpiring department determined that Lewis goal should have stood. We played mostly horribly but that doesn't mean we didn't deserve to win when we actually would've had a higher score if it weren't for a blatantly wrong umpiring decision which as I've covered in another thread yesterday filtered down to costing us with Breust's goal on the siren due to the time wasted in reversing the decision.

But I'm not angry about it any more either because like RR said, it's Thursday. We've got another 4 points to worry about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once Mitch Hodge Burger etc go the inevitable decline will come don't care what anyone says they are Irreplaceable, we will still be decent but more a middle tier team.
And people are writing off ORourke etc. who knows what he will look like by the end of even this season. Langers had a great year of development last year but sure those blokes are pretty irreplaceable

The irony for me is that, despite the result, I came away from the game surer than ever that our best is a lot better than Essendon's.

Losing to the bombers sucks. But we shouldn't care because we lost by 2 points and a only a couple of seconds without even trying, while Essendon played their best game in 5 years. Water off a ducks back really.

Not when the %$#@ Duck is red and black mate!!!!!!!
Those turds could win the wooden spoon and still brag that they beat us.
WE DON'T LOSE TO THEM, FULL STOP!

I have full confidence this team is good enough. We aren't perfect though so the reality check is probably more so for the supporters who expect we win every game by 10 goals plus. I believe the players have a far better grasp on the reality of their situation than many of our supporters do.
Belive me, I have never Jumped off, I ride the bumps, and most recently, with quite a big grin!

I have no doubts we are a better side. I wasn't angry after the siren. My feeling was probably reflective of the players own bemusement at just how unlucky we were to have the siren go when it did. The fact we'd narrowly lost out on 4 points when outside of this game we are a far better side was disappointing but I took solace in the fact that we were so close to winning after only playing our style of footy for just a quarter of the game with 3-4 important senior players missing and quite a few raw (though very promising) recruits.

The anger only came for me once the umpiring department determined that Lewis goal should have stood. We played mostly horribly but that doesn't mean we didn't deserve to win when we actually would've had a higher score if it weren't for a blatantly wrong umpiring decision which as I've covered in another thread yesterday filtered down to costing us with Breust's goal on the siren due to the time wasted in reversing the decision.

But I'm not angry about it any more either because like RR said, it's Thursday. We've got another 4 points to worry about.
I was pissed off straight after the siren. Didn't last more than 5 mins and any residual anger was just seeing Hird and his disgusting head.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I'm not worried. Unlikely we were going to go through the season undefeated and our players are not robots. Got a loss on the board already so that will calm down the media hype a bit hopefully, meanwhile we can fly under the radar and continue to steadily work towards a possible three-peat :thumbsu:

Play like s**t for most of the day, the umpiring being as poor as it was and several notable outs....yet only still get beaten by a bee's dick and two seconds. If anything it says how good a side the Hawks are given they just about pinched it anyway despite all the above, and how much the Bombers are overrating themselves as usual.

I wasn't even mad on Sunday, more so just bewildered at the manner in which we lost.

An accurate representation of me. Not necessarily expecting to win every game by 10+ goals, but I definitely got complacent with winning pretty much every game last year, no doubt. Hence my total shock to the loss to the Bombers because I'd began to think we were an irresistible force that couldn't be stopped.

We'll be better for it in my opinion. Anybody remember Sydney's start to the season last year? Look how that turned out*.

*Not taking the grand final into account where we made them our bitches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back