Why the Smart hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed and I didn't mind the Port comment either.

BUT

it wasn't followed through and that reeked of amateur hour, if you talk the talk you have to deliver and HE FAILED MISERABLY.

He talked the talk, but Trigg should have backed him up in his interviews on 5AA afterwards.

Remember Triggs KPI's were about keeping the SANFL happy ;)

Even after the jumper backlash he could of got on the front foot and pass the heat to the SANFL for granting permission.

"we did have concerns about using the state jumper so we sought and received written permission from the SANFL"

"the state jumper has been used for Slowdown games, under age teams, there is even a country team that wears it, we are not diluting its value - we are paying respect to it"

But no, we have some bumbling, mumbling backflip.
exactly but he couldn't get on the front foot because he wasn't prepared. He hadn't planned for anything going wrong and the approvals appear to have been all verbal.

Did we wear it?
No, if we did it would of been a win.

Fans have to back the Club sometimes too. Too many people worried about being sniveling sycophants and "AFC bashing". If our supporter base backed the club on-mass and phoned up 5AA demanding that we tell the SANFL to GAGF because they approved it, the decision to wear it would have stood.

Not enough supporters backed the club. WA Jumper worn by WCE in the past. Former state jumpers worn by us in the past. The jumper IS NOT sacrosanct, it is a jumper. Drop the member's name thing as a compromise perhaps. This is one area where I reckon fans could have been a little more supportive of a club initiative, this was an awesome initiative that needed fan support.

Fans have to back the Club sometimes too. Too many people worried about being sniveling sycophants and "AFC bashing". If our supporter base backed the club on-mass and phoned up 5AA demanding that we tell the SANFL to GAGF because they approved it, the decision to wear it would have stood.

Wow, so you want our club to make decisions based on phonecalls to 5AA.

And yet when the club does go to its membership base requesting our opinions on a new strip they ignore our choice and go with the one Stephen liked.

It would have been great if Trigg and Nige actually stood up for the club and told everyone to GAGF the SANFL approved it, they buckled like little school girls after talking like tough guys - it was pitiful to watch.

Unfortunately the people running our club have made it difficult to back their decisions, I feel as if I am "bashing" those people, not the club - I love the club.

Wow, so you want our club to make decisions based on phonecalls to 5AA.

And yet when the club does go to its membership base requesting our opinions on a new strip they ignore our choice and go with the one Stephen liked.

It would have been great if Trigg and Nige actually stood up for the club and told everyone to GAGF the SANFL approved it, they buckled like little school girls after talking like tough guys - it was pitiful to watch.

Unfortunately the people running our club have made it difficult to back their decisions, I feel as if I am "bashing" those people, not the club - I love the club.

No, but "the general footy public" listen and take heed of the 5AA and MMM caller opinions. If everyone stepped up an flooded the mediawith. The AFC MUST wear the jumper and the SANFL must uphold it's end of the bargain the decision would stand. The SANFL buckled to public pressure..... ie callers to 5AA and MMM and readers commenting on articles on the Advertiser web site.

Trigg was answerable to the SANFL. If us fans backed Smart's approach on-mass instead of either being silent or joining the club bashing, the SANFL and Trigg would have to take notice.

No, but "the general footy public" listen and take heed of the 5AA and MMM caller opinions. If everyone stepped up an flooded the mediawith. The AFC MUST wear the jumper and the SANFL must uphold it's end of the bargain the decision would stand. The SANFL buckled to public pressure..... ie callers to 5AA and MMM and readers commenting on articles on the Advertiser web site.

Trigg was answerable to the SANFL. If us fans backed Smart's approach on-mass instead of either being silent or joining the club bashing, the SANFL and Trigg would have to take notice.

I see where you are coming from, but I still think once Trigg and Nige want down this path they needed to have the backbone to see it out - regardless of any public backlash.

They have a proven track record of NOT listening to members (new strip) and here they DID listen to NON members. Can you see how that grates with me??

Roo has done well in a business sense, on that back of opportunities afforded to him through his outstanding football career (ironically mentored by another board member). But let's be honest - he is not sitting on that board on the strength of his business acumen or experience. It is largely a profile based appt - plain and simple.

Any suggestion that he could teach (or has taught) his fellow board members a thing or two is ridiculous.

who has suggested that. it only takes someone to start asking genuine questions as to current methods of operation. we've heard it for years that we do everything really well and how talented an organisation we are and yet we seem to languish around the middle of the table and have perpetrated some pretty impressive utensil-ups.

in his first board meeting or email chain, roo might have genuinely asked why we didn't seem to have a highly credentialed senior assistant or he could have asked how our strength & conditioning coach became our head fitness advisor. he might have asked how much we spent in the footy dept last year and why it wasn't reported. he may not have understood the response by the incumbent bastions of knowledge, so he may have continued asking questions until he was satisfied with the answer. it doesn't take much to get some heads out of the sand and start some genuine discussion going. I'd suggest that current board has placed way too much faith in trigg.

I see where you are coming from, but I still think once Trigg and Nige want down this path they needed to have the backbone to see it out - regardless of any public backlash.

They have a proven track record of NOT listening to members (new strip) and here they DID listen to NON members. Can you see how that grates with me??

Of course I can see that.

I think Smart was undermined by Trigg in this all. Smart took a firm stand, SANFL backflipped due to public pressure, Trigg bowed to the SANFL. While the SANFL held our licence Trigg is accountable to the SANFL so his role sometimes required him to serve the SANFL above the fans & members. That was the bit that has hamstrung the club. So when Trigg didn't back in Smart to the hilt, what is Smart supposed to do?

I hope our new CEO can stand strong for an independent AFC. This is where Trigg will probably be able to do better at Carlton for their members than he could for us. He is answerable to the members there, but here he was answerable to the SANFL appointed board.

Of course I can see that.

I think Smart was undermined by Trigg in this all. Smart took a firm stand, SANFL backflipped due to public pressure, Trigg bowed to the SANFL. While the SANFL held our licence Trigg is accountable to the SANFL so his role sometimes required him to serve the SANFL above the fans & members. That was the bit that has hamstrung the club. So when Trigg didn't back in Smart to the hilt, what is Smart supposed to do?

I hope our new CEO can stand strong for an independent AFC. This is where Trigg will probably be able to do better at Carlton for their members than he could for us. He is answerable to the members there, but here he was answerable to the SANFL appointed board.
Why wouldn't they? SANFL no longer hold the licenses, so the days of listening to anything the SANFL have to say should be over. The reserves side should be the only thing we ever talk to them about.

Remember Triggs KPI's were about keeping the SANFL happy ;)

Its a whole new ball game for his successor. there will be no way to judge his performance here other than the fact the other lot in this state have not held together as well as our club has, in his time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what i have been told from a few people involved in the club (think anyone from trainers, assistant coaches, sponsors, fellow board members), Smart is extremely arrogant, and is very difficult to deal with because of this reason.

From what i have been told from a few people involved in the club (think anyone from trainers, assistant coaches, sponsors, fellow board members), Smart is extremely arrogant, and is very difficult to deal with because of this reason.
I've heard through the grapevine something similar. It's a "Do what I tell you to do because i'm the one telling you to do it" type attitude to managing people. Doesn't like people questioning him or his orders.

Spot on to what ive heard.

Also believes he is better than you because of his stint in parliament. I guess he expects he should be treated with more respect due to this?

When I was 13 I went to the cricket to watch the Redbacks play QLD and the Crows were training during lunch.
I saw Modra sitting by himself just in front of me, so I went up said hi and asked for an autograph. He did, was quite gracious and I left him be.
Closer to the break the boys came out, milling arount the causway chatting to us kids, when Smart came out looked us up and down yelled at the players and marched them off.I will never forget that, I was dumfounded. Since then he has always looked like small minded arrogant bloke and hasn't done anything to impress me since.

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with Smart. We need a huge dose of external eyes. Promoting internal managers who were onboard with the previous direction and strategy does very little to change the status-quo. That is fine if it doesn't need changing/challenging but we all know it seriously does.

Also, personally I don't think he has enough runs on the board in big business capacity.

Got absolutely no issues with Smart.

He is passionate about the club and personally, I love the arrogance.
Modesty is such a good attribute for a CEO. Just look at Kochie.

As my catchcry for the AFC says:

"Embracing mediocrity since 1998".

It is no accident that Collingwood and Hawthorn are the most profitable and successful clubs. They are run like a business and are a well-oiled machine. Football is no longer about grass-roots and pleasing the fans. It is pure and simple a business!

St Kilda is a rabble both on and off field. Essendon is in trouble due to slack corporate governance. West Coast has recently turned itself around by strong internal business and culture management. And the list goes on.

Successful people breed success! Until the AFC runs itself in a true businesslike fashion we will continue to be plagued with the "issues" that continue to pop up year on year.

Tippetgate was the last straw for me. The lack of accountability at the top levels in relation to this issue was simply and utterly astounding. If that happened in my business (which I part-own), heads at the top level would have rolled and there would have been a complete and systematic investigation with strong checks and balances put in place to ensure it could never happen again! That has not happened and is very lamentable.

It is incredible with our history and "monopoly" supporter base and that we are not more successful and are unable to wield the power in the AFL that the Hawks and Pies and Sydney do.

Trigg's replacement is extremely important to the club's medium term future and, dare I say, ultimate survivability!

Guess Collingwood must operate under the same "boys club" tenet that the AFC is accused of then???

Last time I looked former Pies player Gary Pert was their long standing CEO.....:)

Im kinda ok about Smart, yet alot arnt. I understand the State jumper thing, but other than that whats he done wrong. One thing we have been screaming out for is someone in our Admin to stand up for our club. Someone to go hard on our behalf. Smart does that. I loved his "i dont care what Poort think" line. I also dont care what Poort think. He was standing up for us to get the first game at AO when Chapman was saying he didnt care if Poort got it. We need a militant person who can stand up and take it to the AFL. He was apparently awesome in tribunal hearings, where he would turn the match review guys in knots.
So why the Smart hate?
Because his actual ability doesn't match what he thinks his ability is ... making him dangerous & prone to making him & the club look stupid.

Lacks experience/skills to be COO. Would never have been considered if not part of the boys club.

No point having the talk if you can't do the walk...

I've heard through the grapevine something similar. It's a "Do what I tell you to do because i'm the one telling you to do it" type attitude to managing people. Doesn't like people questioning him or his orders.
Sounds like the ex-Fat Controller...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back