News Why wont JJ sign? Signs a new 3 year deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Super impressed with JJ on Saturday. Let's hope he signs (or if not, we get plenty for him).

Considering Dodoro's garbage during the Crameri "negotiations" - I hope the club names a bloody high price and sticks to it.

Let him walk to St Kilda if he so desires.
Is there something I have missed?
Second post where JJ to the saints is mentioned. Has he mentioned that he would like to go there?

As others have said his form didn't warrant it early in the year. Then he had to stand in line while other (more disciplined?) young players earned their turn. He finally got in last weekend and played really well, easily his best AFL game this year. Seems like he might have learned a few things during his extended stint in the VFL. Good player development if you ask me.

If the club knew he was leaving he would probably not have got a game (I don't believe in the need to crank up his trade value by playing him) so I think he is definitely viewed as a potential long term player. If he and the club have had a conversation it might be like this (abstract):

"Yeah, it's true, I'm thinking of going... got an offer or two"
"We rate you and would like you to stay, provided you follow the team disciplines that EVERY player has to follow. Surely you'd rather be playing with your mates in a premiership contending side than for that s**t club who doesn't give a stuff about the health and welfare of its players? Have you talked to Stewy about them yet?"
"Yeah, I have, but I can't even get a game here."
"You'll get a game all right - it could be up in Cairns this week. We're going to put up some cockamamie story about Ryan having food poisoning or a virus or something. When you do get your chance if you do the right things we'll give you an extended spell ... 3, 4, 5 games - maybe the rest of the season. Just show us what you've learned over the last 10 weeks and you'll be one of the first picked every week. There's a position in the side with your name on it. All it needs is for you to keep doing the stuff we've talked about."
"OK, I'll give it a crack."
"Oh, and by the way, if you do want to leave we'll certainly respect that, but we'll be playing hardball with those f**kers. It might not end up the way you'd want."
"Huh ...?
"​

Is there something I have missed?
Second post where JJ to the saints is mentioned. Has he mentioned that he would like to go there?

No. They will have pick 1 in the PSD.

Essendon (assuming that's where he wants to go) will be ~pick 10.

Ergo - we either get a trade that suits us, or he chances his arm in the PSD and hopes like hell that a cashed up St Kilda don't want him (or any of the other nine clubs with a pick before Essendon).

what's the problem? We can not afford to lose JJ after losing a similar player in harbrow!!!

has anyone heard?
Heard he is asking more than we are willing to pay.

So what's the dinner table conversation like with the velvet sledgehammer then
Mate if you knew where's come from, you'd be surprised he could string two words together, let alone be so opinionated. I think Matthew let himself down when he was talking about the Dogs on the Footy Show yesterday. He really seemed like he wasn't convinced yet. I'll bring it up with him next time I see him.

Heard he is asking more than we are willing to pay.
If that is remotely true, then we will be pushing s**t uphill to win a premiership. I believe it takes a TEAM of players making sacrifices for each other to keep the unit together to achieve the ultimate success. Footballers in general already earn far too much money and for a 2nd? Year senior list player who has shown sweet FA this year to be asking for more money after he has been disciplined is just unbelievable

If that is remotely true, then we will be pushing s**t uphill to win a premiership. I believe it takes a TEAM of players making sacrifices for each other to keep the unit together to achieve the ultimate success. Footballers in general already earn far too much money and for a 2nd? Year senior list player who has shown sweet FA this year to be asking for more money after he has been disciplined is just unbelievable
Spurs concept?

Mate if you knew where's come from, you'd be surprised he could string two words together, let alone be so opinionated. I think Matthew let himself down when he was talking about the Dogs on the Footy Show yesterday. He really seemed like he wasn't convinced yet. I'll bring it up with him next time I see him.

Make sure you tell him I still laugh about the time kritta kretiuk kept whacking his broken hand.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Debut was Rd19, 2012 but was on the rookie list that year, upgraded at end of 2012.

No. They will have pick 1 in the PSD.

Essendon (assuming that's where he wants to go) will be ~pick 10.

Ergo - we either get a trade that suits us, or he chances his arm in the PSD and hopes like hell that a cashed up St Kilda don't want him (or any of the other nine clubs with a pick before Essendon).

Could we let him walk, sort out the rest of the list and then if we happen have enough coin left over pick him up in the PSD before Essendon's pick?

Could we let him walk, sort out the rest of the list and then if we happen have enough coin left over pick him up in the PSD before Essendon's pick?

Not if he prices himself above what we're prepared to pay him.

Which seems to be the sticking point in the first place.

I heard he wanted to go to Essendon at the start of this year, if he wants to go at the end of the year let him go. I only want players that want to play for the Western Bulldogs. We will hear a lot of rumours around now till end of season, so get used to it.

I'm sure any clubs chasing him would gladly pay overly inflated wages for a fringe player who showed potential on Saturday. Perhaps players and the parasites that are known as agents may want to realise this before their clients are waiting half a year for a dole cheque. $130-$150K player at best IMO.

I'm sure any clubs chasing him would gladly pay overly inflated wages for a fringe player who showed potential on Saturday. Perhaps players and the parasites that are known as agents may want to realise this before their clients are waiting half a year for a dole cheque. $130-$150K player at best IMO.
Go easy on agents bro......:)

he wants more money based on what exactly?

has some promise but we have had enough of those players in the last 10 seasons who never ended up delivering. Future for the club doesn't look good if there is a dozen or so players with the same attitude.

Re the Bombers, I was never sold on the Crameri deal and even if Carlisle wanted to join us, the long shadow of ASADA hangs over all this.

Relevance?

If I was JJ I can perhaps understand wanting to leave, but if I was any player I wouldn't want to go to Windy Hill until ASADA, one way or another, has finished it's stuff.

he wants more money based on what exactly?

has some promise but we have had enough of those players in the last 10 seasons who never ended up delivering. Future for the club doesn't look good if there is a dozen or so players with the same attitude.
Who suggested that?

If there are no spots for him down back due to other small backs - Higgins/Murphy/Picken - can he play as a quick winger/forward pocket?

If there are no spots for him down back due to other small backs - Higgins/Murphy/Picken - can he play as a quick winger/forward pocket?
Played plenty of wing on the weekend in fine style. Has played midfield at footscray as well which is where he's being developed. I think that's where McCartney sees him long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back