Opinion Re-drafting Ahmed Saad

Will Ahmed Saad be at St Kilda for the 2015 season?

• Yes

Votes: 65 84.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Breaking news. Ahmed Saad drug penalty stays at 18 months. Gives him a chance to play again. Tribunal upheld initial decision.

Ahmed Saad: “I am relieved that this is all over, it has been a very long and hard 10 months on myself and everyone around me."

Breaking news. Ahmed Saad drug penalty stays at 18 months. Gives him a chance to play again. Tribunal upheld initial decision.

Ahmed Saad: “I am relieved that this is all over, it has been a very long and hard 10 months on myself and everyone around me."

Got a link to this?

He will be eligible for this years draft wont he? We should totally get him back. I wouldn't mind if we take him on the senior list if we have a spot open.

Got a link to this?

He will be eligible for this years draft wont he? We should totally get him back. I wouldn't mind if we take him on the senior list if we have a spot open.

On twitter mate... Yep he is eligible to be drafted even though his suspension doesnt end until Febuary 20th, 2015... So u can draft a banned athlete :confused:

On twitter mate... Yep he is eligible to be drafted even though his suspension doesnt end until Febuary 20th, 2015... So u can draft a banned athlete :confused:

I'm pretty sure they talked about this at the time. That there's some weird WADA ruling that as long as he's not a) Payed and b) playing, he's allowed to train with the club for the 6 months prior to the end of his suspension, I'd assume that drafting him falls under those guidelines.

I'm pretty sure they talked about this at the time. That there's some weird WADA ruling that as long as he's not a) Payed and b) playing, he's allowed to train with the club for the 6 months prior to the end of his suspension, I'd assume that drafting him falls under those guidelines.

Must be different set rules for AFL and VFL players then cos Wade Lees and Matt Clarke weren't allowed to go near a club for their entire 2 year ban!

It's just been released Saady's 18 month ban hasn't been increased and he will be eligible to play in the 2015 season.

Question now is do we all think St Kilda will re-draft him? i think we're still fully committed to him and he is still fully committed to the club, i think we will re-draft him in the Rookie draft but think another club will jump in before us.

We are missing a small forward type like Ahmed this season, he has proven he can kick 25+ goals a season.

Must be different set rules for AFL and VFL players then cos Wade Lees and Matt Clarke weren't allowed to go near a club for their entire 2 year ban!

I recall hearing it about it at the time, but I have no evidence to back up my assertion, so you can feel completely free to disregard it!

Sounds like it, from everything I've seen and heard, even if it's just on our Rookie list. He could bring something to the table in the forward line that will be missing when Schneider moves on.

Stanley, do you really think another club would take him before us? Most likely we'll have pick 2 in the Rookie draft and one of Brisbane or GWS would have to take him. I couldn't see GWS doing that, he doesn't fit in with what they're trying to do. Maybe Brisbane, but then would they really want him?

Yes. I'd take him on the senior list with a late pick if we have the spots.

It sends a great message to the club that we will stick by the players if they make an honest mistake. We want players to be loyal to the club so they don't leave via FA at first chance and this should go a long way to building a strong bond between the players and the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pass. Much better options out there. Was horrible last year anyway and with 18 months out of the game won't be anywhere near upto scratch.

Maybe it will be like the Fraser Gehrig/Jason Blake scenario, where the player just makes it very clear he will only be playing for one club. Ideally we don't have to use our first rookie pick which could net another decent player… Our last pick in either draft would be ideal if we re-commit to him.

Maybe it will be like the Fraser Gehrig/Jason Blake scenario, where the player just makes it very clear he will only be playing for one club. Ideally we don't have to use our first rookie pick which could net another decent player… Our last pick in either draft would be ideal if we re-commit to him.
Agree with this.

I think we'll want to re-draft him but surely he'd be happy just to get another chance anywhere?

Pass. Much better options out there. Was horrible last year anyway and with 18 months out of the game won't be anywhere near upto scratch.
Inclined to agree with this, from a football perspective I don't think he is up to it, but can see the club picking him up as a show of goodwill I think.

as long as we dont pay overs id be happy to pick him up, we need more goal kickers at the club.

Question is should teams be playing pure small forwards?

I put this up earlier today. This was at the time of his delisting. There was absolutely no need for the club to put this up publicly. I think they put it up as a public promise to Ahmed, that they will take him.

They will look like complete tools if they don't take him. Right at the time when we're trying to woo players to Seaford because we treat players well. There is just no way in hell I can see Finnis, of all people, stiffing Saad.

I'm on the fence. I'll go yes, but only with a late rookie spot. At this stage, i'd probably say he's a better option than Minch (who we have to either promote or delist).

I've said this before, but there's such a low chance that any other club will even consider him, even if he wasn't loyal to the club (which he is so it's a moot point anyway). He wasn't exactly a star, has had 18 months out of the game, which is a huge factor to consider plus can't even start training with the club until Feb 2015 I think.

I certainly wouldn't use a ND pick and i'd only use a rookie pick if any sliders are already gone.

I think Saad will be rookied & think that it is a good thing for morale.

Having said that I don't think he should be taken in the ND even with a late pick. This is purely based on his output last year & the fact that he needs to prove himself again.

We shouldn't forget that his ban was the result of his own stupid actions & broke the same rules that we are all hoping will result in mass bans at Essendon.

A rookie spot if & only if there isn't a better option.

Absolutely we should take him! Can't believe people think otherwise!! If he hadn't been banned he would be in our team most weeks I would think. Certainly need him in a post Milne and Schneider era. Put him on the rookie list to give him time to get his match fitess up in the VFL and then see if he puts his hand up for senior selection for the round 11 rookie promotion. Most likely he spends a season on the Rookie list and plays half a dozen games in the back half of the season to earn a full time senior promotion.

If the Swans, Giants, Lions and Suns can get acces to acedemy players then surely the AFl can allow us to rookie list Saad without too much hassle? C'Mon Gil, you love us mate!

I think Saad will be rookied & think that it is a good thing for morale.

Having said that I don't think he should be taken in the ND even with a late pick. This is purely based on his output last year & the fact that he needs to prove himself again.

We shouldn't forget that his ban was the result of his own stupid actions & broke the same rules that we are all hoping will result in mass bans at Essendon.

A rookie spot if & only if there isn't a better option.

If Saad can cop 18 months for skulling the wrong brand of energy drink on the wrong day of the week, then the Essendon Football Club should be deregistered and all players, admin and coaches involved in the doping should be banned for the rest of their ******* lives.

Back