Opinion Re-drafting Ahmed Saad

Will Ahmed Saad be at St Kilda for the 2015 season?

• Yes

Votes: 65 84.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Especially when you consider how out of form he was for most of his games last year, when he was pretty much terrible.

Inconsistent is probably a better word. He kicked 2 goals in nearly half of his games last year.

An AFL tribunal this week upheld his 18-month sentence for using a banned substance, rejecting ASADA’s appeal to extend it to two years.

It means Saad will be eligible to play AFL from February 21 next year, 18 months from when he accepted a provisional suspension.

With a late start to the 2015 season likely, he could be back for some if not all of the NAB Challenge.

The AFL confirmed last night Saad would not be able to train or be at the club until February, which could scare off some clubs wanting him to have a full pre-season.

“It is the AFL’s view he can be drafted, but he cannot join any club activities until his suspension expires,” AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.

St Kilda said it had not ruled out re-drafting Saad, who kicked 28 goals in 2012.

There is provision for clubs to leave open a single rookie spot until after the NAB Challenge, which might allow him to train away from a club yet still prove his fitness.

Footy boss Chris Pelchen said: “We are open-minded to the possibility of him returning to the Saints, but like all players available in the draft we will make the appropriate assessment later in the year. Until that time, we will continue to support his welfare, as permitted.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...en-in-2014-draft/story-e6frf3e3-1226936411539

An AFL tribunal this week upheld his 18-month sentence for using a banned substance, rejecting ASADA’s appeal to extend it to two years.

It means Saad will be eligible to play AFL from February 21 next year, 18 months from when he accepted a provisional suspension.

With a late start to the 2015 season likely, he could be back for some if not all of the NAB Challenge.

The AFL confirmed last night Saad would not be able to train or be at the club until February, which could scare off some clubs wanting him to have a full pre-season.

“It is the AFL’s view he can be drafted, but he cannot join any club activities until his suspension expires,” AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.

St Kilda said it had not ruled out re-drafting Saad, who kicked 28 goals in 2012.

There is provision for clubs to leave open a single rookie spot until after the NAB Challenge, which might allow him to train away from a club yet still prove his fitness.

Footy boss Chris Pelchen said: “We are open-minded to the possibility of him returning to the Saints, but like all players available in the draft we will make the appropriate assessment later in the year. Until that time, we will continue to support his welfare, as permitted.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...en-in-2014-draft/story-e6frf3e3-1226936411539

Exactly what I've been saying, he isn't allowed at club until his ban is over. Why would you want to have someone on your list that can't train for that long. Pick him up next year, tell him to sign at Sandy for2015 and then at least he's playing our gameplan and will still train with Saints on days Zebs do. Waste of a spot on our list when can't be at club for so long.

Exactly what I've been saying, he isn't allowed at club until his ban is over. Why would you want to have someone on your list that can't train for that long. Pick him up next year, tell him to sign at Sandy for2015 and then at least he's playing our gameplan and will still train with Saints on days Zebs do. Waste of a spot on our list when can't be at club for so long.
Dude, it's February next year, it's not July. Rookie him and get him doing lots of running until February, and get him chatting to the coaches "informally" about the game-plan, etc, at the same time. If he was recovering from a long term injury, and missing the preseason, it'd be far worse than that scenario. He can still run, do weights, etc, just away from the club. The only thing he can't do is drills and stuff with the team - it'd be great if he could, but him not being able to do that isn't a reason to not draft him as a rookie! That's a touch-much.

Dude, it's February next year, it's not July. Rookie him and get him doing lots of running until February, and get him chatting to the coaches "informally" about the game-plan, etc, at the same time. If he was recovering from a long term injury, and missing the preseason, it'd be far worse than that scenario. He can still run, do weights, etc, just away from the club. The only thing he can't do is drills and stuff with the team - it'd be great if he could, but him not being able to do that isn't a reason to not draft him as a rookie! That's a touch-much.

He'll have missed 18 months of AFL training. He'll be miles off the pace. It's waste of space on our list when we could have someone that's raring to go from day 1.

He'll have missed 18 months of AFL training. He'll be miles off the pace. It's waste of space on our list when we could have someone that's raring to go from day 1.
Do we NEED a ROOKIE to be "raring to go from day 1"? Did Shenton, or Mav, or Minch need to be raring to go from day 1? THEY needed to be raring to go for SANDY, and I suspect that's exactly what Saad will be. At most, we'll be expecting a mid-year call up for him anyway.

The general public and I far as I am aware the players of the AFL believe we all but promised him a chance. Our word is worth way more then a rookie spot. We have a s**t reputation already, do we really want to add dishonesty to the mix.

Do we NEED a ROOKIE to be "raring to go from day 1"? Did Shenton, or Mav, or Minch need to be raring to go from day 1? THEY needed to be raring to go for SANDY, and I suspect that's exactly what Saad will be. At most, we'll be expecting a mid-year call up for him anyway.

Why gift him a spot? What has he done to earn that over the 1000's of players busting their arse off? We don't owe him anything. He was the one that took the stuff even after being warned by the club not to. He did that, it was his choice. What's wrong with making him earn the chance of playing AFL again by telling him to sign with VFL club and if his form warrants it pick him up next year. You can't pick a bloke up based on what he did in 2012 when it's 2015 next year.

We talk about our culture and wanting to change that yet at same time people want to draft a drug cheat back onto our list? I just don't get it.

Make him earn it, if he wants it badly enough he'll dominate the VFL next year and then we can look at picking him up.

Sorry, thunda, I love ya man, but I think he's paid his dues for what was a simple error. He was negligent, not conniving. In other words, he wasn't a cheat, he was a nong. Serving 18 months for being a nong is bad enough, but to then put unnecessary roadblocks in his way seems a touch harsh. And he IS a good player, in an area of the ground that we are severely lacking. He'll have kept his fitness up, without a doubt, so the only issue is match-fitness and game-plan, but he'll get that as a rookie playing for Sandy.

It's about honouring a promise. The Saints made a public declaration that they would pick him up at the end, as we've seen. Now, you might think they were stupid to make that promise, but make it they did. You can't unscramble eggs. They made it, and they are going to look like right tools if they don't keep it.

There's too much to lose here by not picking him up, and not enough to lose by taking him as a rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why gift him a spot? What has he done to earn that over the 1000's of players busting their arse off? We don't owe him anything. He was the one that took the stuff even after being warned by the club not to. He did that, it was his choice. What's wrong with making him earn the chance of playing AFL again by telling him to sign with VFL club and if his form warrants it pick him up next year. You can't pick a bloke up based on what he did in 2012 when it's 2015 next year.

We talk about our culture and wanting to change that yet at same time people want to draft a drug cheat back onto our list? I just don't get it.

Make him earn it, if he wants it badly enough he'll dominate the VFL next year and then we can look at picking him up.

I would have thought that you of all people would like seeing a dedicated goal kicker playing for Sandy again.

He's shown more at AFL level than 1000's of others for starters.
Andrew K did OK when he came back.

Can't see how the phrase "gift him a spot" gets a mention here.

He was banned so we had to delist him, if he'd done his knee and was out for season he'd still be on our list.

Granted he won't be fit but I can tell you something - on our showing this year, there's no one on our list who looks like a 2 goal a game small forward.

Milnes gone, Schneider's pretty much gone, Billings will go straight to the centre - saad still stacks up

Can't see how the phrase "gift him a spot" gets a mention here.

He was banned so we had to delist him, if he'd done his knee and was out for season he'd still be on our list.

Granted he won't be fit but I can tell you something - on our showing this year, there's no one on our list who looks like a 2 goal a game small forward.

Milnes gone, Schneider's pretty much gone, Billings will go straight to the centre - saad still stacks up

He will be fit. He's a determined bugger and he'll be keeping himself in top nick. Wouldn't be surprised if he has a personal trainer.
Its just the footy practice he'll be missing out on.

On draft day our recruiters will look at the players available and work out who will contribute most to the club. Saad's got a shorter prospective career span but a better record at the top level than pretty much any other player in the draft. For a late pick he'll probably be one of the best bets going.

Just putting it out there, if Milera was able to keep up his goal kicking form for the rest of the yr would that make it harder for Saad to get redrafted by the Saints. They are both the same age, Milera has the advantage of being able to be an extra mid rotation while Saad is more of a true Forward. Milera seems to have improved while Saad would be coming back after more than a yr away from the game?????
Interested to hear peoples opinions.

Just putting it out there, if Milera was able to keep up his goal kicking form for the rest of the yr would that make it harder for Saad to get redrafted by the Saints. They are both the same age, Milera has the advantage of being able to be an extra mid rotation while Saad is more of a true Forward. Milera seems to have improved while Saad would be coming back after more than a yr away from the game?????
Interested to hear peoples opinions.

Really? What age are they both?

Milera would want to step up his run, chase and harassment IMO.

He was pretty good at this last night, finished with 4 tackles but also had at least 2 time where he got a free for catching a guy holding the ball (should have had more but the umpires are so damn inconsistent with it).

OK so I guess if we compared it with the history of the planet we could say they are the same age.
But surely in footy years they are nearly 2 years apart.
So what do you want, a 26 yr old who is playing good or a 25yr old who hasn't played for 18months????
As Tina Turner said, "whats age got to do, got to do with it"
( don't quote me on that :p)

Back