Opinion Re-drafting Ahmed Saad

Will Ahmed Saad be at St Kilda for the 2015 season?

• Yes

Votes: 65 84.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 15.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we might as well delist half our list then, if not more of it and go to a fantasy-land where everyone on the list is perfect in every way by their 2nd year.

I also strongly disagree that Ahmed is a "one trick pony" as he is damaging both on the lead, with his blistering pace enabling him to get good separation and at ground level, especially when running back towards goal with the ground clear ahead of him to run into.

Well we might as well delist half our list then, if not more of it and go to a fantasy-land where everyone on the list is perfect in every way by their 2nd year.

I also strongly disagree that Ahmed is a "one trick pony" as he is damaging both on the lead, with his blistering pace enabling him to get good separation and at ground level, especially when running back towards goal with the ground clear ahead of him to run into.

I suggest you watch his games from last year then, nowhere near AFL standard. 2013: 13 games, 5.5 kicks a game and 17 goals. turns 26yo next year....nothing about drafting him makes sense. Would we want to draft him if he was from another team? No. Let's let Templeton do his apprenticeship as a small forward, Billings will be there, Schneider probably one last year and we will look to draft in a goal kicking small forward too.
Take the romance out of it and it doesn't make sense at all.

I suggest you watch his games from last year then, nowhere near AFL standard. 2013: 13 games, 5.5 kicks a game and 17 goals. turns 26yo next year....nothing about drafting him makes sense. Would we want to draft him if he was from another team? No. Let's let Templeton do his apprenticeship as a small forward, Billings will be there, Schneider probably one last year and we will look to draft in a goal kicking small forward too.
Take the romance out of it and it doesn't make sense at all.

Thats not quite right though. He didn't go out and play his average each game.
He did have games with more than ten disposals and 2 goals.
He also had a game with 9 tackles.
Do you suggest that ALL our forwards were worse in 2013 or maybe its something to do with the midfield

No we don't.....

We did when we had Milne + Saad but rarely do anymore.
eli, billings are the obvious names with unlikely 2015 players snids,milera,TDL.

+ small fwds like eli seem to be pretty easy to find

Some silly arguments on this thread. He is either good enough or he sin't.

Guys like Eli etc are the keys to our future midfield. The only reason they are playing up forward is because of their tank. we are in no way covered for small fwds.

Reality is that this year we need to draft talls first and foremost. Once you are past that, then the mids talent pool isn't there. Once you get intot he third round, then you may as well draft Saad.

You need star power int he middle and up front. Last year went a long way to addressing the middle. so I see no reason why you cannot have Saad back up forward.

His inclusion gives our mids better depth rotating through it with Saunders, Eli, Dunstan, Weller etc etc etc.

But like I said, if he is good enough given the competition then he will be picked on his own merit.

eli, billings are the obvious names with unlikely 2015 players snids,milera,TDL.

+ small fwds like eli seem to be pretty easy to find
Eli Templeton won't be a small forward he'll eventually become a midfielder.
Jack Billings is more likely to be a HF/Midfielder eventually
Trent Dennis-Lane is a potato
Adam Schneider should hang up the boots, his body is really struggling
Terry Milera has ?? still hanging a heap over his head and seems more of a medium sized forward over a small forward.

The closest to a small forward we have (apart from Schneids) is Milera who as Stanley has said really does not play as a crumbing forward.

Saad does do one thing that Milney never did and that is his defensive pressure is quite good with good tackle counts from a time before we had real emphasis on that. Saad will fit into Richo's development plan without much issue.

The closest to a small forward we have (apart from Schneids) is Milera who as Stanley has said really does not play as a crumbing forward.

Saad does do one thing that Milney never did and that is his defensive pressure is quite good with good tackle counts from a time before we had real emphasis on that. Saad will fit into Richo's development plan without much issue.
We have Minchington but right now his name would be on the delisted list.

Eli Templeton won't be a small forward he'll eventually become a midfielder.
Jack Billings is more likely to be a HF/Midfielder eventually
Trent Dennis-Lane is a potato
Adam Schneider should hang up the boots, his body is really struggling
Terry Milera has ?? still hanging a heap over his head and seems more of a medium sized forward over a small forward.

I tend to consider Milera as a sort of ineffective outside mid.

I'd really like to see Saady back. I think he has a lot to offer, he's good for a bag of goals per season and I don't feel like there's a kid in particular he'd be keeping out of the side right now.

He's not too old, I feel it'd be a good move for our culture and he is a genuinely good player.

The more I think about it, the more I want to see him back.

I do believe he suffered a case of second year blues but I also believe he would have been a better player for it if it weren't for the incident.

To put it into perspective, he played 12 games for 17.11 where we only won 2 of those games. So he was playing as a small forward in a team that couldn't win, while playing alongside Riewoldt (50 goals) and Milne (28) so of course he wasn't going to be the main focus point every time we went forward, but still scrapped 17 goals together which is still pretty good. A better rate than Billings, Eli and Schnieder who have all been used in the small forward role and are each averaging less than a goal a game.

But as others have said before me, we will only pick him up if he is good enough. He could be a 30 goal a year small forward and who can add defensive pressure, big tick from me.

And I also miss his long run up and how it would make opposition supporters irate, hilarious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I also miss his long run up and how it would make opposition supporters irate, hilarious.

Although hes far to humble to ever get the hate that Milne copped would be nice to have another player that annoyed the opposition.

Thats not quite right though. He didn't go out and play his average each game.
He did have games with more than ten disposals and 2 goals.
He also had a game with 9 tackles.
Do you suggest that ALL our forwards were worse in 2013 or maybe its something to do with the midfield

An average is an average! I just don't think he's good enough to redraft and at his age he doesn't fit our plans

@AFL_SeasonNews: Saints apply to fitness test Saad: ST KILDA will seek AFL permission to conduct a fitness test on... http://t.co/0iudHK9ybS (Fox Sports)

St Kilda seeks permission to fitness test suspended forward Ahmed Saad ahead of November’s draft

For those who can't be stuffed going to the article posted above. - Sounds like we want Saad back.

Saints football boss Chris Pelchen said the club hoped to get Saad into the club for a period of testing in the lead-up to the November draft.

“We are going to approach the AFL for permission to have Ahmed in front of us for some sort of physical testing,’’ he said.

“It would be very difficult to mimic game simulation but we will seek that permission to ascertain his fitness base in readiness for him to be drafted. There is no point considering him for drafting if he is not at the level required.

“He has made a really good fist of it and the stockbroking is of his own initiative. We and his family and friends are pleased there is a definitive point to his suspension and this has given him a real lift.

“We have had communication with his management and said we are open-minded about him coming back to St Kilda. Most importantly, he has the chance to play again.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Unfortunately Saad is a one trick player who clubs had already worked out by start of last year. Was horrible when playing seniors in 2013. Pelchan is a ruthless operator who won't be seduced by the romance of drafting a player just because he was banned for taking a banned substance. Saad stuffed up and simply isn't good enough to take a position on our list. Let's move on.

2013 13 games 17 goals 11 behinds 38 tackles - not bad return for a small forward who's been worked out by the opposition

IMO I think Saad at his age and with the situation that he missed a yr would be a handy player to a team that is up and flying. Im not sure he would help us at the moment. Don't think he would get great supply and hes not a real 'get your own ball' player.
Happy to be proven wrong though:thumbsu:

Back