• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PRANKSTER666

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2007
P-Town
AFL Club
West Coast
It is no secret I don't rate Ash Smith and never have. I very rarely write an Eagle off from the offset but have always seen this bloke as an athlete rather than a footballer.

He has speed, but doesn't use it to effect in games.
Has to be the worst spot up kick in the game, not a good trait as a backman.
Does not win his own ball.
Does not have any poise/poor decision making skills.

He seems to get a bit of love around here though because of his potential speed and ability to kick it long, often though to nobody.

The amount of abuse Adam Selwood gets because he can't kick is astonishing because he is 5 times the player Smith is if you don't factor in Ash Smiths hype.

It would be unfair of me not to say that Ash Smith does have a good ability to spoil overhead even when he looks horribly out of position, but when the ball goes in his opponents direction I still hold my breath because I don't trust him.

The amount of horrible 25m kicks out of the back line that directly results in opposition goals is unforgivable at this level.

He has played 31 games, can he reach 50? I doubt it given our backman stocks. I'm ready to cut him loose.

Pretty much spot on. Can't see him making past the list cuts at the end of the year. Unfortunate because has shown glimpses of talent but just seems so far away from putting it all together.

It's a hard poll, mostly just because of how many backline options we have and how laconic Smith can seem compared to someone like Brennan.

Barring injury however, I think he'll make it. :thumbsu:

Saw one passage of play against freo where he was out muscle by Walter on a high ball. Still the same guy that always seem lost on high balls.

this time last year would've been a monty. hard to know what's happened since. was never the most intense bloke on the field but the intensity dropped big time last year.

this time last year would've been a monty. hard to know what's happened since. was never the most intense bloke on the field but the intensity dropped big time last year.

When you compare his intensity to that of Brennan, it's easy to see why he's not likely to make 50 games.

I think his best chances are playing on a wing/HFF.

I can't wait till the season starts, so I don't have to read crap like this.

But seen as you insist on posting thoughts that should be kept to yourself. I don't see Ash Smith being that much behind Blayne Wilson and Jacob Brennan. 2011 was Ash's year and 2012 was Jacob's. Hopefully 2013 will be Blayne's. I see all three as being viable options for the HBF position, each with different advantages.

He only needs 19 more games to get there and we signed him up for 2 years in September last year. With that in mind he should make it.

I know he sucked in the first NAB matches but in that last training session a few of us went to, we noted that he seemed a little injured. With that in mind it's weird that he played, so maybe he isn't so injured... but who knows?

I'm not reading too much into NAB cup form. Last year I was excited about Weedon and a lot of people were excited about Stevenson.

Wow, your wit blows me away.

Wit?

I don't see how this thread constitutes 'crap', as you said. It's a reasonable discussion. I'd love for Ash to make it, and have been one of his bigger supporters (being a Perth boy), but I think he's been overtaken by guys who want it more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually quite like him.

The defensive skills he showed when he was in the side for an extended period were outstanding - extremely good one on one, would spoil then have the speed and size to win ball on the ground.

He needs to improve his awareness and lower his eyes when kicking and when he is confident he is much better. I think he is the kind of confidence player that needs to be in the side for an extended period, not well suited to coming in and out of the side from the WAFL unfortunately.

Still think he's better than Brennan.
Brennan is a better kick, better holding defender, better mark and much more intense. Smith has athleticism and probably a better reach. There's good reason that Brennan took Ash Smiths spot and neverlooked like losing it.

Nice bloke, but needs to lift to get a game, even if we have injuries.

I also think he will play 50 games, but won't be with us, I think again he will get games at the start of the season, get an injury and we won't see him again (has happened the last couple seasons) then he'll get frustrated ala Koby Stevens and request a trade home, whether it is at the end of this season or next season I can see it happening

Wit?

I don't see how this thread constitutes 'crap', as you said. It's a reasonable discussion. I'd love for Ash to make it, and have been one of his bigger supporters (being a Perth boy), but I think he's been overtaken by guys who want it more.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure he's from Victoria. Says on the WCE website he was recruited from the Dandenong Stingrays...

Anyway, I think he still has a lot to offer if he can recapture his 2011 form.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm pretty sure he's from Victoria. Says on the WCE website he was recruited from the Dandenong Stingrays...

Anyway, I think he still has a lot to offer if he can recapture his 2011 form.
He plays most of his footy at Perth. It makes perfect sense if you were also a Perth fan and watched WAFL weekly.

Brennan is a better kick, better holding defender, better mark and much more intense. Smith has athleticism and probably a better reach. There's good reason that Brennan took Ash Smiths spot and neverlooked like losing it.

Nice bloke, but needs to lift to get a game, even if we have injuries.

I think Wilson if he can get the fitness level required will be better than both, hard like Brennan but not stupid and irresponsible. Aerially superior to both, both in terms of punching and marking. He's a better kick than both as well.
Knock would have been his speed but he was really covering the ground quickly on the weekend.

Back