Will Australia be forced to change its flag in 2014 if Scotland votes yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Good point! Given that Tony Blair imported 3 million third worlders, exported one million Britons (its best and smartest mostly to Australia ha!), neutralised Northern Ireland, bankrupted the UK government, collapsed the pound, started the expulsion of Scotland (and maybe Wales), allowed terrorists to multiply and started at least four wars.
Where is William Wallace when you need him?

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Our flag sucks and reminds me of slavery and genocide and English cannibals. It is depressing as s**t. I'd rather a flag that actually represented all Australians instead of just News Corp subscribers and Tony Abbott.
It reflects our history. Hence the colours on it. Its a symbol , we 're Australia, nothing reflects every different type of human from any where in the world that live in the same country. The bloody stars and stripes represents states by number doesn't it? Any way the new world order of American empire and military power over every one came from the British empire any way.
The American war of independance was fought between yankee continental poms and the kings poms. Don't you see.
By the way I think Tony Abbott is a drongo too. But he could be Sir Tony doodle brain now that the royal award show is back on. Now that will be a laugh.
Oh and as well , the English actually abolished slavery first and when did they eat people, genocide , well in those times that was just winning a battle. s**t the Romans had total war after the enemy was defeated , every one died. Sometimes even Romans who didn't fight hard enough , every tenth one got whacked. Typical ancient mafiosi.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
It reflects our history. Hence the colours on it. Its a symbol , we 're Australia, nothing reflects every different type of human from any where in the world that live in the same country. The bloody stars and stripes represents states by number doesn't it? Any way the new world order of American empire and military power over every one came from the British empire any way.
The American war of independance was fought between yankee continental poms and the kings poms. Don't you see.
By the way I think Tony Abbott is a drongo too. But he could be Sir Tony doodle brain now that the royal award show is back on. Now that will be a laugh.
Oh and as well , the English actually abolished slavery first and when did they eat people, genocide , well in those times that was just winning a battle. s**t the Romans had total war after the enemy was defeated , every one died. Sometimes even Romans who didn't fight hard enough , every tenth one got whacked. Typical ancient mafiosi.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Yeah conquering half the world and providing a lingua franca does that to you.

"It is a mark of self confidence: the English have not spent a great deal of time defining themselves because they haven't needed to". Paxo

Yeah. Theres no defining cultural characteristics for england because its all borrowed from the cultures they conquered

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks

Worst genocide in history ? William against the then saxon rebels after the conquest.

We know this because he also commissioned the domesday book which described most of the joint as "laid waste"

I don't think the flag makers are going to need to revise anything. Last polls suggest no has a 6 point lead and I'd expect the margin to lengthen further.

mighty tiges

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2002
oneeyed-richmond.com
AFL Club
Richmond
And no, we shouldn't change our flag. It's a flag ffs, it's tradition! Are the Netherlands ever going to change their national anthem because they still mention the Spanish? NO, IT'S TRADITION FFS!!
We changed our national anthem remember and the sky didn't fall in. We created a new tradition and more importantly one that is uniquely and proudly Australian. One which correctly reflects who we are now.

The current flag conversely says we as Australians are subservient to a foreign country. Sorry, I can't support a flag that says we are inferior as a nation and as a people. The great irony is if we did change our flag, those that are currently strongly against any such a change would within 20 years become the most ardent supporters and defenders of the new flag. John Howard voted against 'Advance Australia Fair' to keep 'God Save the Queen' as our anthem but by 1996 he was bellowing out our current national anthem with hand on heart at the end of his election victory speech. Nothing new about new traditions replacing old out-dated ones.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
As long as we think it's relevant to have stars on our flag of which the closest is 600,000,000,000,000 kms away and can be seen by approximately 60% of the world's population in their own sky - it really doesn't matter much what we put on the flag. REd bits, blue bits, purple bits - doesn't matter.

It's just a fairly meaningless symbol to be used instead of an actual sign saying 'Australia'. That's all a flag is.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Worst genocide in history ? William against the then saxon rebels after the conquest.

I'm not sure that the "Harrying of the North" could be classed as a genocide, much less the worst in history. It was more of a military operation. Orderic Vitalis put the death toll at 100,000 from an estimated population for the whole of England, based on the 1086 Domesday returns of 2.25 million. William was only in the north for about three months.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I'm not sure that the "Harrying of the North" could be classed as a genocide, much less the worst in history. It was more of a military operation. Orderic Vitalis put the death toll at 100,000 from an estimated population for the whole of England, based on the 1086 Domesday returns of 2.25 million. William was only in the north for about three months.

Really ? Destroying production and fertile fields is a kindness ? The waste would have lasted for decades

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Well roylion my post was pretty much in keeping with this post, i certainly wasnt looking for a dictionary based argument two weeks later

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Well roylion my post was pretty much in keeping with this post, i certainly wasnt looking for a dictionary based argument two weeks later

I only made a comment on whether or not the "Harrying of the North" was genocide. You appeared to be implying it was. All I said was that I disagreed with that. I'm happy for you to argue the contrary if you like

darth_timon

Hakuna Matata!
Oct 24, 2011
UK
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Stevenage
It's good to see sensible heads prevailed in this vote. Salmond didn't do very much to map out how Scotland would function as an independent country. He appealed to peoples' hearts but not to their minds and not to common sense.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I just watched Gordon Brown's speech.
Has to be the best speech I've heard from a politician recently.

It has to be said that with all separatist and independence wars around the world that it is a real credit to the UK that Scotland was able to have an independence referendum that Westminster would have abided by.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
More devolution is interesting. yorkshire appears to have the same population as scotland and definitely would have a differennt political mix to the home counties

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its like people that claim there was an English Enlightenment. Other than Scientists they did **** all

Too busy blowing people from cannons Comrade.

‘Half the world mocks us, and half the world is only civilised because we have made it so’

THE-British-Empire.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back