Will/could Nathan Bassett coach the Crows??

Remove this Banner Ad

Bassett strikes me as much more capable of giving an inspiring halftime / 3 quarter time address than Viney. Always loved the passion of the Hound. Especially when a dodgy free kick went against him. In fact the turning point in the Norwood season was when he got the fine for abusing the umpires.

The mouthguard throwing, goal post kicking Bassett is just one side to his character. He is actually a very intelligent, careful, measured, meticulous person with an incredible sporting brain... he just spits the chewy occasionally, like when he got fined for abusing the umpires in his first game as coach :D

I love him and it would be fantastic if he came on board at the Crows. He's a deep thinker about the sport, has a great feel for the game and someone who is destined to be a senior coach. This is exactly the type of person we should be targeting as an assistant coach. Guys like Bickley and Hart... not in the same category IMO. Just there to hold clipboards and nod vigorously to Neil's ideas.

The mouthguard throwing, goal post kicking Bassett is just one side to his character. He is actually a very intelligent, careful, measured, meticulous person with an incredible sporting brain... he just spits the chewy occasionally, like when he got fined for abusing the umpires in his first game as coach :D

I love him and it would be fantastic if he came on board at the Crows. He's a deep thinker about the sport, has a great feel for the game and someone who is destined to be a senior coach. This is exactly the type of person we should be targeting as an assistant coach. Guys like Bickley and Hart... not in the same category IMO. Just there to hold clipboards and nod vigorously to Neil's ideas.

Quoted for truth.

Quoted again for truth.

I'd also add that on top of the ultra-competitiveness, passion and intelligence that he has always had, I've noted from a distance through his charity work etc that he had also developed into an excellent 'people person' displaying a depth of character. This will be vital in terms of media relations, handling the inevitable rough trots of team performance, and most particularly in getting alongside his players and inspiring them to their best individual performances in whatever way each individual needs motivation (ie the rocket up the arse or gentle encouragement for your more timid types).

And also forgetting how much of a basket case Norwood have been until this year, and also couldn't recruit this year either, so he has basically had to take what was already there and improve it. Everyone knows my position though I said years ago he will be an excellent coach.

Yep, great idea and maybe Luke Jericho could be one of his assistants. Some of you may not be aware but there are actually quality people out in the football world who aren't ex-Crows players/staff.

An ex-Crows player is definately the last person we need post Craig.

Yep, great idea and maybe Luke Jericho could be one of his assistants. Some of you may not be aware but there are actually quality people out in the football world who aren't ex-Crows players/staff.

If he was a decent coach it makes no difference where he comes from.

Why? If you think Bassett is your typical 'ex-Crow' person you are very much mistaken.

I bet every Crows fan here would love their team to tackle the way Norwood did yesterday.

Why? If you think Bassett is your typical 'ex-Crow' person you are very much mistaken.

I bet every Crows fan here would love their team to tackle the way Norwood did yesterday.

Excellent observation. Whilst at yesterday's game, I noted to my mate that Norwood were playing like "the Crows on steroids."

They were disciplined and structured, sure - but they also played with passion, spirit and that little bit of mongrel and arrogance that you want in a footy team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he'll honor his contract with Norwood then join an AFL club when his contract expires. That's based on hearing his interview with Mark Soderstom after the game on sunday.

He was also on ABC radio Saturday noon time. Very good interview. Sounded very much committed to Norwood for the length of his contract, but clearly has his eye on the big game. I agree with sentiments of the boys club, but an excellent candidate is still an excellent candidate. Hopefully by the time he returns to Adelaide we will have some new blood in the coach's box.

Three years including this one, so two more.

OK - Thanks. If we win the flag (and even if he doesn't) he will certainly be chased by a number of AFL clubs over the next year or so. He's been very impressive. I like that he has done the hard yards in terms of moving up the ranks in coaching terms - SA under 18's, now SANFL. Seems like the kind of guy who recognises how much there is to learn before being a senior AFL coach (as opposed to thinking, well I was a champion player so surely I'll be able to coach) I reckon he has senior AFL coach written all over him, and even though I'd prefer he cut his teeth as an assistant outside the Crows sytem, I'd love to see him back coaching at the Crows one day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back