Play Nice Will Geelong win the 2016 premiership?

Where do you think the Cats will finish this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

John Dough

Senior List
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson and Zac Smith are on their way to the Cats, with Scott Selwood likely to be heading there as well.

Should the Cats land these players, the side should be taken seriously as a premiership contender next year.

The club has a strong winning culture, and with a core of players that includes J Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Enright, Bartel and Mackie - these blokes know what it takes to win flags.

Stanley, Menzel, Vardy and Clark will finally be fully fit.

Write the Cats off at your own peril is all that I can say.

Personally I believe they will be the biggest roadblock standing in between Hawthorn and the four peat.

Do you rate the Cats for 2016 and how do you like their chances of winning their 4th flag in 10 years?

Last edited:
In most of the past few seasons, a side from outside the top eight has finished in the top 4. Being biased, I'd point to West Coast 2011 and 2015 as prime examples.

Don't see why Geelong can't do it, and I think Stevie J isn't actually that big a loss to them, especially if they nab Dangerfield.

Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson and Zac Smith are on their way to the Cats, with Scott Selwood likely to be heading there as well.

Should the Cats land these players, the side should be taken seriously as a premiership contender next year.

The club has a strong winning culture, and with a core of players that includes J Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Enright, Bartel and Mackie - these blokes know what it takes to win flags.

Simpson, Menzel, Vardy and Clark will finally be fully fit.

Write the Cats off at your own peril is all that I can say.

Personally I believe they will be the biggest roadblock standing in between Hawthorn and the four peat.

Do you rate the Cats for 2016 and how do you like their chances of winning their 4th flag in 10 years?

Wouldn't count on Clark staying injury free.

More would have to go right for them than about 12 other teams.

Also none of these trades have gone through so cool your jets.

Hardly as if the Crows have made finals every year, even with Dangerfield/Sloane/Thompson fronting every week. Aside from Joel Selwood and Danger, who else will Geelong have in the engine room?

Dangerfield - brilliant get, but a bit damaging if he costs picks.

Henderson - a good CHB/CHF option but nothing more than that.

Smith - worse than Vardy/Stanley/Simpson and doesn't really fit. Still living off one good season.

Scott Selwood - not good enough for West Coast, and probably borderline at the Cats.

IF Clark can stay fit and play CHF, and IF Menzel can stay fit and do 2 and 20 every week, and IF Vardy can stay fit and play first ruck - then they're a shot...for the 8.

Not next year.
I reckon they spend I more, maybe two years out side the 8 really developing the younger players will having them become accustom to danger in the middle.
After this though they'll be right back in it, if things go right they'll have a very good list.

Can't count out their midfield either, which is where they've been smashed in the past. With Danger and Selwood getting all the attention, players like Duncan, Caddy and Guthrie will be able to run free, all comes down to how these players perform IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly as if the Crows have made finals every year, even with Dangerfield/Sloane/Thompson fronting every week. Aside from Joel Selwood and Danger, who else will Geelong have in the engine room?

Dangerfield - brilliant get, but a bit damaging if he costs picks.

Henderson - a good CHB/CHF option but nothing more than that.

Smith - worse than Vardy/Stanley/Simpson and doesn't really fit. Still living off one good season.

Scott Selwood - not good enough for West Coast, and probably borderline at the Cats.

IF Clark can stay fit and play CHF, and IF Menzel can stay fit and do 2 and 20 every week, and IF Vardy can stay fit and play first ruck - then they're a shot...for the 8.

Try Duncan, Caddy, Blicavs, Motlop, Bartel Guthrie

Try Duncan, Caddy, Blicavs, Motlop, Bartel Guthrie
Forgot about Motlop, good point. Blicavs is very good, but is hardly a traditional midfielder. Duncan, Caddy and Guthrie are all pretty good - but they're no better than what other teams in that 6-12 range have and the transition from Bartel, Chappy, Ablett, SJ really showed this season.

All things being even, this is a damned good midfield:

Motlop - Blicavs - Caddy
Stanley - Selwood - Dangerfield.

But the lack of depth, especially in your forward line, really shows.

As I said - keep them all fit and you're a good chance to get into the 8.

Think we are likely anywhere between 5-12 depending on how things pan out. What I think people are overlooking is the potential impact of a fit Mitch Duncan. Was really impressive and raised his game to a new level this year before injury marred the rest of his season. With Duncan, Selwood, Dangerfield, and maybe Stanley/Blitz as mobile ruckmen we're starting to look pretty good. But there is so many variables I think we won't know until a few weeks into the next season. Could be anything, bad or good.

Think we are likely anywhere between 5-12 depending on how things pan out. What I think people are overlooking is the potential impact of a fit Mitch Duncan. Was really impressive and raised his game to a new level this year before injury marred the rest of his season. With Duncan, Selwood, Dangerfield, and maybe Stanley/Blitz as mobile ruckmen we're starting to look pretty good. But there is so many variables I think we won't know until a few weeks into the next season. Could be anything, bad or good.

Yeah I also think Duncan is a quality footballer.

Even if he do improve next year we will be fighting with so many teams for a spot 6-12. Gold coast gws port saints maybe all will be pushing up behind us from last year. No room for cats. Next year I think the comp will be so tight.

Back