Will Grimley be a best 22 player by the end of 2014?

Will Grimley be best 22 by the end of the year?

• Total voters
Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
3 goals coming back from a hamstring is not bad at all. Does he deserve a callup against Gold Coast?

No he does not.

He needs a run of games in the 2's to even get close to a call up atm. Who would he replace in the current side and those who are coming back?

We are such a dominant side atm with talent on all levels and great depth. Grimley has considerable weaknesses in his game that he needs to rectify to take the next step. I know you love him (you seem to love any young player that isn't in our BEST 22) and he has potential, however he is behind many players in his position atm.

He needs time and consistent performances to prove he can make it.

There's a number of players. Who made way for Tim O'Brien? That person.
Spangher has proven himself in the cut-throat environment of finals football. Grimley has not and is more than a few miles off being at that level.

But we know your thinking, he's an inexperienced player who had a good looking game when contextually selected stats are read so he must play, play forever and will be a star because of this one game.

Thai Hawk

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2012
3 peat city
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Vixens cause they are hot
Given his height and running ability, I would like to see him tried as a CHB. There is a trend towards 200cm + KPF's and I doubt the 1993 - 195cm types will handle them when they bulk up.

Not this week though

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn't you realise? Grimley is younger therefore he must be played, actual value to the team doesn't come into consideration for Hodgepodge.
Clarko is also hinting at Schoenmakers playing forward a bit this year - maybe as a swing man. Spangher doing this job until Schoey and Lake come back in I reckon. This will make it very hard for new talls to get a game but great we have depth all the same.

I'd like to see Grimley get a game against one of the weaker teams like Melbourne or Carlton

Like last year when he got a crack against the Saints.
I think he would be exposed quite badly against the better sides.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Three goals was a good first up effort. He also spent much more time in the ruck as Cegs was elsewhere. A good first up match. He has been passed by TOB but he had a crack and you cannot ask more than that.

HawkBurger

Debutant
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko is also hinting at Schoenmakers playing forward a bit this year - maybe as a swing man. Spangher doing this job until Schoey and Lake come back in I reckon. This will make it very hard for new talls to get a game but great we have depth all the same.

If you watch Gib's Gauntlet, Gibbo says something like, "Since Shoey joined the forward group..."

There's no doubt in my mind he'll be playing forward - probably a good thing. He seems a more natural forward than defender; looked good in the limited time he spent there.

HawkBurger

Debutant
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Grimmers has shown some glimpses of potential in his matches thus far, but I just feel he hasn't been doing enough. To get into this team or stay in it, the players need to absolutely bust their guts - cf. Cheney, Spangh. He's gotta lift a notch to be called.

I'd like to see Grimley get a game against one of the weaker teams like Melbourne or Carlton
I don't really understand why we would do that.

If he can't handle the cut and thrust of a decent opponent then he's no good to us at all.

I don't really understand why we would do that.

If he can't handle the cut and thrust of a decent opponent then he's no good to us at all.
1. I was having a dig at Carlton
2. I think what we did with TOB in rounds 1 & 2 was right - play him in a game we expect to win, then follow it up in a bigger game the next week if he goes alright

His performances at AFL level last year were pretty good.

Looks to me to be the type that plays better footy with better players around him.

I am hoping he turns into a Justin Westoff. Westoff took a few years to make the grade.

Grimmers strengths are running like the wind, good at the hit up lead and is actually very clean at ground level.

It is his decision making and execution at times which lets him down and sometimes it is really poor.

He has proven himself to be a regular goalkicker and kicked some big goals last year.

I think he is developing well. As I said in time I would love to see him be the bloke that pushes hard up to be a marking option from the kickout but then also pushes hard forward to be a mismatch marking option and goal kicker like Westoff.

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are being unrealistic if we expect Grim to be kicking bags of goals week in week out before he deserves a game. If he can prove to be a reliable target up forward and snag a couple on a consistent basis, that should be enough to get his opportunity and prove his worth as that 2nd or 3rd (tall) forward.

Given the type of player he is, I'm a firm believer that we will not see his full potential and true football ability at VFL level. As much as he still has areas of his game which need improvement, the VFL demographic (grounds and football standards) don't play in his favour. I really think he will prosper once/if he is exposed to AFL football and given a reasonable amount of time to adjust - this will require continuity, atleast 3-4 games to plead his case.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are being unrealistic if we expect Grim to be kicking bags of goals week in week out before he deserves a game. If he can prove to be a reliable target up forward and snag a couple on a consistent basis, that should be enough to get his opportunity and prove his worth as that 2nd or 3rd (tall) forward.

Given the type of player he is, I'm a firm believer that we will not see his full potential and true football ability at VFL level. As much as he still has areas of his game which need improvement, the VFL demographic (grounds and football standards) don't play in his favour. I really think he will prosper once/if he is exposed to AFL football and given a reasonable amount of time to adjust - this will require continuity, atleast 3-4 games to plead his case.
Playing on VFL grounds doesn't restrict your ability to show a defensive side to your game, that is the thing holding Grimley back and why Timmy O will be picked ahead of him

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Playing on VFL grounds doesn't restrict your ability to show a defensive side to your game, that is the thing holding Grimley back and why Timmy O will be picked ahead of him

That's his biggest weakness. Great when he has the footy but really poor without it and in this day and age you really need all players to show a certain amount of intensity and desire. Hopefully he can improve in this area.

Back