Will having to play a grand final at the MCG potentially cost Fremantle a flag?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's fact to me. And many people are gradually heading that way. The amount of people losing interest in the AFL compared to what they used to have.

Since we're talking about lack of interest, I like how it's ok for you to pretend these are facts that you're dealing in, but it's not ok for me to suggest that WA/SA/Qld/NSW AFL fans would not give a stuff about two interstate teams playing in a grand final in their home city.

Now THAT's a spit in the ocean compared to what they get from the shared revenue of the TV deal.

Shared revenue from the tv deal is about 7 million per club per year. All clubs are making more than that from membership, gate reciepts and reserved seating during the year. TV revenues account for about 1.6th of club revenues on average.

Since we're talking about lack of interest, I like how it's ok for you to pretend these are facts that you're dealing in, but it's not ok for me to suggest that WA/SA/Qld/NSW AFL fans would not give a stuff about two interstate teams playing in a grand final in their home city.
Because you're speaking for THEM. I am speaking for myself. I merely pointed out that there ARE many people every week in here expressing their loss of interest in the AFL.

It's worth 400m (gross) a year.
It's not a spit in the ocean but the meal ticket for the AFL is the TV rights.
Same with the NRL.
You're seeing it in all sports around the world.....people staying home more to watch on TV.
The NFL is even going so far as to try to create a home-like feel at stadiums (suites decked out like loungerooms, swimming pools, wifi, etc), trying to encourage people to go. Because it's getting worse and worse....ticket pricing, season tickets, merchandise, food/beverages at stadiums, etc.
No it's not. In the Premier League, Liverpool are expanding their stadium, as are Tottenham. Chelsea have tried to move to a new site because their ground is too small. West Ham have taken over the 2012 Olympic site as it is much larger than their traditional home. Arsenal made the switch a few years ago and are reaping the rewards. Even with the millions of pounds of TV money, ground attendance is vital in the UK.

As you point out, the NFL are trying desperately to lure people back to stadiums because there is a lot of money to be made there.

Because you're speaking for THEM. I am speaking for myself. I merely pointed out that there ARE many people every week in here expressing their loss of interest in the AFL.

I'm speaking for myself and everybody that I know. You're apparently speaking for a bunch of anonymous people on the internet, that may or may not have ever been to a game in their life, for all you know.

Shared revenue from the tv deal is about 7 million per club per year. All clubs are making more than that from membership, gate reciepts and reserved seating during the year. TV revenues account for about 1.6th of club revenues on average.
Thanks for the data.
Clearer then that more and more vic teams will die out then, as well as AFL wasting more hundreds of millions trying to prop up GC and GWS.
More revenue shared with less teams.

No it's not. In the Premier League, Liverpool are expanding their stadium, as are Tottenham. Chelsea have tried to move to a new site because their ground is too small. West Ham have taken over the 2012 Olympic site as it is much larger than their traditional home. Arsenal made the switch a few years ago and are reaping the rewards. Even with the millions of pounds of TV money, ground attendance is vital in the UK.

As you point out, the NFL are trying desperately to lure people back to stadiums because there is a lot of money to be made there.

Likewise the NRL, despite their tv deal have been pushing the members and attendane line for the last couple of years.

I'm speaking for myself and everybody that I know. You're apparently speaking for a bunch of anonymous people on the internet, that may or may not have ever been to a game in their life, for all you know.
So you know a handful of people interstate and somehow that is a clearer indication that people interstate are different humans to Victorians and would not go and watch rock concerts, international teams, test matches and grand finals like Victorians would.
please!

Now THAT's a spit in the ocean compared to what they get from the shared revenue of the TV deal.
Yeah a tenth of their yearly revenue should be sneezed at :rolleyes:

Yeah a tenth of their yearly revenue should be sneezed at :rolleyes:
The_Wookie schooled me with the data.
Pulling my stance back a little.
But it's still evident to me the AFL, NRL, NFL, etc are FIGHTING hard to try to get people to the game with each passing year, due to many of the things mentioned before. It's only going to get worse.

The_Wookie schooled me with the data.
Pulling my stance back a little.
But it's still evident to me the AFL, NRL, NFL, etc are FIGHTING hard to try to get people to the game with each passing year, due to many of the things mentioned before. It's only going to get worse.

Everyone is. The AFl prides itself on its crowds, which is why the AFL was perturbed when Victorian crowds dropped last year.

Imagine if we applied that logic to the outside world.

"Look, I understand slavery is unfair, but we need to uphold some form of tradition here. You'll just have to bear with us I'm afraid."
Comparing slavery and AFL footy, now that's bad logic.

So you know a handful of people interstate and somehow that is a clearer indication that people interstate are different humans to Victorians and would not go and watch rock concerts, international teams, test matches and grand finals like Victorians would.
please!

No. Guess again. And it's not different to Victorians at all. Victorians fill out the MCG for grand finals like West Coast v Sydney because of the AFL members (over 95% belong to the Victorian clubs) getting seats for prices that aren't exorbitant and the MCC members (presumably a similar percentage, if not higher) getting seats for free. Which accounts for just under half the stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I pose a few questions:

1. Can a team improve sufficiently enough over the course of the season in order to challenge Fremantle on the MCG in September? And if so, who will it be?

2. Is it fair for Fremantle to be forced to play away from their home ground despite finishing first? Let's for the purposes of discussion imagine the iron clad contract with the MCG didn't exist. Should the GF be played wherever the highest ranked team in it plays?

1-Yes. Its Rd.6. I still rate the Hawks and Swans. 3x top teams in the comps at the moment. No one else has staked a claim yet

2-I was actually thinking about this today. I wonder how long until the GF is no longer played at the G. i like the G being the home of the final (like Wembley is for the FA cup, etc), but it does pose an issue to clubs who don't play it as much.

2-I was actually thinking about this today. I wonder how long until the GF is no longer played at the G. i like the G being the home of the final (like Wembley is for the FA cup, etc), but it does pose an issue to clubs who don't play it as much.

Its currently scheduled until 2037. The contract seems to extend every time major work gets done at the MCG. (it was originally 30 years in 1989, extended as part of the deal to build the Northern Stand in 2002). By the time 2030 rolls around, the Souther Stand will need major work done, if not a rebuild, and guess where they come knocking?

To compound that, the AFL takes Docklands in 2025 - I wonder if the foundation would take a capacity increase?

1-Yes. Its Rd.6. I still rate the Hawks and Swans. 3x top teams in the comps at the moment. No one else has staked a claim yet

I'll get back to the point that if the AFL is too stubborn to see that the grand final replay is a disaster waiting to happen (as soon as there's a draw and a non-Vic team is involved), I seriously doubt it would see anything wrong with the MCG remaining the home for the grand final indefinitely.

I reckon interstate clubs should get the option of hosting home games at the G, to increase the familiarity with the ground, if they want to.

I have no issues with the GF being held at the G, but would like Freo to get more home and away games there.

No. Guess again. And it's not different to Victorians at all. Victorians fill out the MCG for grand finals like West Coast v Sydney because of the AFL members (over 95% belong to the Victorian clubs) getting seats for prices that aren't exorbitant and the MCC members (presumably a similar percentage, if not higher) getting seats for free. Which accounts for just under half the stadium.

Afl club members (Club competing in the granny) get first choice , to buy tickets, if there are any left over, then the rest of the AFL full members get to purchase tickets. Below is a break down of the 2014 Grand Final ticket allocation

2014 AFL GRAND FINAL TICKET ALLOCATION
The capacity of the MCG will be approximately 100,000 on Grand Final Day.
In answer to Guidelines (a), (b) and (c), the AFL proposes that tickets to the 2014 AFL Grand Final, be allocated in approximately the following manner:
1. Competing Club Members 16000 - 35000
2. AFL Clubs (18) 0 – 10,000
3. MCC Reserve 16000 - 26000
4. AFL Members 13000 - 23000
5. AFL/Medallion Club Members 4500 - 5000
6. AFL Entitlements/Contractual Obligations 5000 - 30000
7. Competing Clubs 0 - 5000
Total 100,000 (approx)
However we note that the fact that:
1. the configuration of the ground may change which could affect the split of tickets between AFL Members, MCC Reserve and Competing Club Members;
2. the number of standing room tickets to be made available will vary depending upon a variety of issues;
3. a substantial number of “walk ups” (50%) in the MCC Reserve
Link
https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=c...ws_rd=ssl#q=afl+grand+final+ticket+allocation

I would love to attend a GF in Perth regardless of who's playing. I reckon if it was scheduled in Perth would sell out in minutes.

It's a joke on this national league that the grand final is always played in Melbourne.

FFS it's not 1950 anymore.

The MCG is the home of football!! You can't stage it on foreign land. That would be like Taylor Swift writing yet another love song about another failed relationship.

I think Fremantle can set themselves up for the season but may end up being like Sydney last year... favorable draw. But will get exposed on the last day in September due to their game plan being more suited to their home ground instead of the MCG that has different dimensions.

Afl club members (Club competing in the granny) get first choice , to buy tickets, if there are any left over, then the rest of the AFL full members get to purchase tickets. Below is a break down of the 2014 Grand Final ticket allocation

2014 AFL GRAND FINAL TICKET ALLOCATION
The capacity of the MCG will be approximately 100,000 on Grand Final Day.
In answer to Guidelines (a), (b) and (c), the AFL proposes that tickets to the 2014 AFL Grand Final, be allocated in approximately the following manner:
1. Competing Club Members 16000 - 35000
2. AFL Clubs (18) 0 – 10,000
3. MCC Reserve 16000 - 26000
4. AFL Members 13000 - 23000
5. AFL/Medallion Club Members 4500 - 5000
6. AFL Entitlements/Contractual Obligations 5000 - 30000
7. Competing Clubs 0 - 5000
Total 100,000 (approx)
However we note that the fact that:
1. the configuration of the ground may change which could affect the split of tickets between AFL Members, MCC Reserve and Competing Club Members;
2. the number of standing room tickets to be made available will vary depending upon a variety of issues;
3. a substantial number of “walk ups” (50%) in the MCC Reserve
Link
https://www.google.com.au/?gfe_rd=c...ws_rd=ssl#q=afl+grand+final+ticket+allocation

I'm not sure that's an order of priority, is it? The MCC reserve is 23,000 seats, which means 23,000 seats are available for MCC members (and very occasionally, restricted members). If they're not filled up, the seats are vacant. It's pretty clear that a standard full club membership isn't the best option, if you want to be guaranteed a spot at the grand final, as I'm sure a Collingwood supporter could appreciate. I'm a full Geelong member and an MCC member. I know which one I'll be relying on next time Geelong makes a GF.

The MCG is the home of football!! You can't stage it on foreign land. That would be like Taylor Swift writing yet another love song about another failed relationship.
How would it be like that? Are you saying it needs to change or are you saying that the MCG just needs to lower her expectations of men and trust more?

How would it be like that? Are you saying it needs to change or are you saying that the MCG just needs to lower her expectations of men and trust more?

Oh the analogy was supposed to mean it (allowing another state to host the grand final) was a ridiculous thing to consider.

People are never satisfied......

lets throw away the traditional saturday afternoon time slot and have a night grand final ?
Lets make BT the chief football commentator for all Ch 7 matches and Hamish his off sider.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back