Will Heatherley and Tatupu ever play a senior game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Consistency key for Kurt Heatherley
Nick Duxson July 17, 2015 5:30 PM
1_V08BHPM15GD0110.JPG

Hawks defender Kurt Heatherley gets a kick away against Port Melbourne in the VFL earlier this season.

DEVELOPING defender Kurt Heatherley is hoping he can push for an AFL debut before the end of 2015.

The New Zealander, in his second year on the Hawks’ rookie list, has been a consistent contributor in the back half for VFL affiliate Box Hill Hawks so far this season.

He’s still learning the game, but has enjoyed an injury-free season and is gaining confidence on the back of consistent performances at VFL level.

“I’ve been playing some consistent footy down at Box Hill, and it’s been good maintaining my spot in the VFL team,” Heatherley told hawthornfc.com.au.

“I’m still learning about the game and I’ve got a lot to learn, but I’m making inroads.

“I feel like I’m going well - I’ve been more consistent compared to last year.

“Hopefully in the second half of the year I can push forward and try to play an AFL game, but at the moment I’m pretty happy with how things are going at Box Hill.”

Heatherley says his focus is on doing the basics well – and he’s been utilising experienced defenders such as Josh Gibson and Brian Lake as resources to help improve his game.

The 20-year-old has been holding down a key defensive post for the Box Hill Hawks, who have won nine of 11 games and are sitting second on the ladder.

Hawthorn’s Head of Development Academy Damian Carroll said Heatherley had definitely taken his game to a new level this season.

“He’s been one of the most consistent and effective tall defenders at Box Hill level," Carroll said.

“Although he’s on the rookie list, we believe he could step up to AFL football if the opportunity arose - however he’s still a work in progress for us.”

Heatherley’s football apprenticeship has seen him play on a number of AFL-listed forwards this season, including North Melbourne duo Aaron Black (North Ballarat) and Majak Daw (Werribee).

He’s relishing the challenge of matching up on the big forwards.

“I played on Aaron Black last week, Majak Daw a few weeks ago and a few big VFL forwards like (Scott) Clouston (from Williamstown),” Heatherley said.

“It’s been a good learning experience, and having guys like Angus Litherland, Teia Miles and Daniel Howe down back has been good for my development.”

Heatherley has been joined by fellow countryman Shem Tatupu over the past fortnight in the Hawks’ VFL side, after Tatupu earned promotion from the development side.

“It’s obviously good to have another Kiwi over here - Shem’s come up into the VFL team and he’s playing pretty well,” he said.

“It’s good to see New Zealand slowly developing.”

Kurt will absolutely play seniors at some point - the perfect replacement for Benny Stratton down the track. In saying that, Stratton has a good 5 or 6 years left and they will have to accommodate both in the same side for a period.

VFL: Tatupu kicks four against Lions
Nick Duxson July 21, 2015 2:00 PM
Box Hill: Shem Tatupu's four goalsWatch Shem Tatupu's four goals that he kicked for Box Hill on the weekend.
357666_np.jpg

Shem Tatupu kicked four goals for Box Hill Hawks on Sunday.

SHEM Tatupu has continued his form in front of goal for Box Hill Hawks since making his senior VFL debut three weeks ago.

The rookie-listed New Zealander kicked a bag of six goals against Port Melbourne in the development league in Round 11, earning him a senior call-up.

Tatupu has made the most of that opportunity with eight goals in five games.

He kicked four goals in the Hawks’ 100-point win against Coburg on Sunday, following on from two-goal efforts against Frankston and North Ballarat.

“He doesn’t miss too often,” Box Hill Hawks Coach Marco Bello said.

“He only had six touches and kicked four straight this week, he would have had similar numbers last week – four touches and two goals.

“He doesn’t have to get a lot of it – he makes the most of it when he does, especially when he’s up forward.”

Bello said the Hawks’ teamwork up forward was pleasing to see against the Lions.

“The forward six worked together to create a lot of movement and it was really pleasing for those guys to get a bit of the footy, kick some goals and be a little bit selfless as well, giving off some goals,” he said.

Tatupu has now kicked 21 goals in his 10 matches at VFL senior and development level in 2015.

Big Shem looks like he is hardly breaking into a sweat and his kicking style seems very efficient in relation to his conversion. Once he gets in front on the lead in space, I imagine he would be hard to spoil. Hopefully, he enjoys the game and keeps improving. He has a lot of Hawks-eyes on him. Fingers crossed.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/video/2015-07-21/box-hill-shem-tatupus-four-goals

Last edited:
Who would win between Shem and Lake in a battle to the death? (Clearly an important question to be posed on this forum).
Lake.. he is more conniving....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heatherley is a good chance to be a tall defender for the Hawks when Lake or Gibson retires, next yr or the yr after.....

Tatupu is just starting to play 2nd tier football and is in a dominant team atm, he has good accuracy and has kick 8 goals 1 behind in 3 games, going at nearly 3 goals a game is great form......needs another year at least at Box Hill first

Good game from Kurt. His intercept marking is now a real weapon. Has had a good month of footy. Should we rest a few, Kurt would almost certainly get a run.

Shem is looking comfortable at BHH. Speed could be an issue but he reads the ball in the air superbly.

Both coming along nicely.

Good game from Kurt. His intercept marking is now a real weapon. Has had a good month of footy. Should we rest a few, Kurt would almost certainly get a run.

Shem is looking comfortable at BHH. Speed could be an issue but he reads the ball in the air superbly.

Encouraging first two years by these two. Both have achieved the targets we wanted I reckon.

Kurt looks close to AFL ready.

Shem developing into a solid VFL forward at 19 years old

Is the 3pm big news announcement possibly Kurt contract extension...going by the pic ??

I thought Roughy was already signed ??

Never an issue for Plugger, and Shem seems to have a similar physical presence. Without the racing page of the footy record stuck in his sock - I hope!

Never an issue for Plugger, and Shem seems to have a similar physical presence. Without the racing page of the footy record stuck in his sock - I hope!
At one stage yesterday Shem got the ball in a pack and immediately attracted a crowd. He had two guys hanging off him but just spun through 360 and dished off a handball as if they weren't there. Drew a few gasps from the crowd.

Heartherly = Gibbo replacement?

Heatherley re-signs with the Hawks
Nick Duxson August 10, 2015 3:00 PM
313235_nl.jpg

Rookie-listed defender Kurt Heatherley has re-signed with the Hawks.

MAKING the transition from basketball to Australian Rules football was challenging.

As was making the move from New Zealand to Australia as a teenager.

But Kurt Heatherley’s ability to successfully tackle the challenges that come with being a professional footballer are continuing to pay off.

The rookie-listed defender has signed a contract extension that will keep him at Hawthorn beyond this season.

Heatherley said it was an exciting time for him, as he continues to press his claims for an AFL debut.

“The club has obviously put a lot of faith in me, so hopefully I can repay them over the next few years,” he said.

“I’ve still got a lot to improve and a lot to learn, but hopefully over the next few years I can keep developing and achieve that goal of playing AFL football.”

The 20-year-old New Zealander has made great strides with his football over the past two years on the Hawks’ rookie list.

Heatherley has been a consistent contributor at VFL level this season, holding down a key defensive post for Box Hill Hawks’ senior side, after getting a taste of VFL senior and development league football in 2014.

Having the opportunity to play on AFL-listed forwards, including North Melbourne duo Majak Daw and Aaron Black, has helped the developing defender build the skill-set required to be an AFL footballer.

Heatherley said it had been tough – but worthwhile – moving from New Zealand as a teenager.

“I did two years of school over here at Caulfield Grammar, so that was fantastic with getting to know a group of guys outside of the club,” he said.

“It was pretty tough to move over here by myself – I basically knew no one other than the recruiting staff.

“I was lucky enough to have a family look after me, the Dunphys, and I’m very thankful for what they’ve given me and for letting me spend time at my house and helping make my transition easier.”

Learning the ins and outs of AFL football has also been a challenge, and Heatherley is determined to continue his development not just for himself, but for the people who have had faith in him across his journey, including the club’s Recruiting and List Manager Graham Wright.

“Graham was the one who spotted me playing basketball,” he said.

“He’s had lots of faith in me to bring me over here all the way from New Zealand, I’m just very thankful and hopefully I can repay the faith over the next few years.”

Wright spotted Heatherley playing for New Zealand in Tasmania in 2009.

He said his development as a footballer since then had been clear to see.

“What we liked about him then was that he was quick, big for his age, had good lateral movement and was pretty aggressive,” Wright said.

“He’s grown a bit since then, about five or six centimetres, and has done a really good job to get to where he is now.

“He’s still quick with good lateral movement, and he’s improved his kicking and handballing and has worked really hard on his game.”

Heatherley has now settled in at the club – and his parents have moved to Australia to support him as he pursues his dream.

He has fellow countryman Shem Tatupu at the club for company – but enjoys the company of the whole group – and hopes there is a bright future for New Zealanders who want to play in the AFL.

“It’s been a challenge – something a bit different – obviously being a New Zealander rugby and those kind of sports are the major focus over there,” he said.

“I’m living with my parents at the moment, it’s obviously fantastic they’ve both moved over here.

“Hopefully I’m not the last one to come over here. Obviously there’s Shem over here too, and hopefully there’s many more (New Zealanders) to come in the future.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back