Universal Love Will Langford

hawkhanlumist

Senior List
Sep 19, 2008
Europa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From MRP report
Contact between Geelong’s Tom Hawkins and Hawthorn’s Will Langford from the third quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. Geelong’s George Horlin-Smith is running with the ball and player Langford turns to chase him. Hawkins attempts to shepherd for his team-mate and makes body contact with Langford. Hawkins has an open hand when the contact is made and it was not a striking action. No further action was taken.

That is about right, IMO.

You don't want to see a bloke rubbed out for a love tap that just got lucky (i.e., in just the right spot)

hawkhanlumist

Senior List
Sep 19, 2008
Europa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So you're the leader of the Lewis Mafia!
Jordan's a dud, I've read it on here.

And I am impressed by Langford's ability to tag AND win his own ball.

I still don't like too much niggle, partly because his Dad never niggled, despite playing as a full back in a pretty tough era. Chris just played the ball and tried to beat his opponent to the ball.

Tagger has to have a little bit of niggle. It's par for the course.

Also, I think Darcy and Bruce were making a bit much of the langford has that mongrel in him. He was more just in Selwood's back pocket (which he didn't like) more than anything else. From memory, it was really just that one incident in the 1st quarter when selwood sent his shot for goal into Langford who was manning the mark, and then sent the follow up kick OOB. Langford laid a desperate tackle as selwood kicked it the second time, and then he sort of fell onto him a bit. Selwood gave him a shove, and Langford shoved him back. No real mongrel, IMO, just a young pup showing he won't be intimidated. He then tried to show the Tomahawk a bit more of the same.

EightyNineChamps

All Australian
Apr 21, 2009
Down a few blocks
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Also, I think Darcy and Bruce were making a bit much of the langford has that mongrel in him. He was more just in Selwood's back pocket (which he didn't like) more than anything else. From memory, it was really just that one incident in the 1st quarter when selwood sent his shot for goal into Langford who was manning the mark, and then sent the follow up kick OOB. Langford laid a desperate tackle as selwood kicked it the second time, and then he sort of fell onto him a bit. Selwood gave him a shove, and Langford shoved him back. No real mongrel, IMO, just a young pup showing he won't be intimidated. He then tried to show the Tomahawk a bit more of the same.

The ManGirl was blocking him from Sellwood as a high ball was coming into their goal, that's the reason Will then had a tussle with porkins who didn't really come out looking all that good I have to add as the spunk Will showed caught him off-guard and looking a little silly really.

Love this kid he'll be pretty good down the track, already knows where to be around the play, has some speed can take a grab, has the mongrel all he needs is game time to polish up some disposals.

It will be a thing of beauty when we will have Will, Hill and Jed all going around in the team at the same time. I hope it is one the games against the cats.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I liked this also. No sooking or hard feeling like you see with some guys out there. Played hard and made life a bitch for the Geelong players then after the game he could look Selwood in the eye and shake hands with a big smile on his dial. Seems to be a really balanced kid.

upload_2014-4-23_9-44-13.png

I agree, Langford is not Crowley/Balantyne niggling, he's just not backing down. Niggling is just a buzz word for commentators and such.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

From MRP report
Contact between Geelong’s Tom Hawkins and Hawthorn’s Will Langford from the third quarter of Monday’s match was assessed. Geelong’s George Horlin-Smith is running with the ball and player Langford turns to chase him. Hawkins attempts to shepherd for his team-mate and makes body contact with Langford. Hawkins has an open hand when the contact is made and it was not a striking action. No further action was taken.

So next time someone goes the coathanger, just keep the hand open & 'strike' with the forearm? And by strike, I mean, just hang the thing out there and let the unwitting victims own pace invoke the laws of physics. AFL weasel words.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
If you had of told me last year that Langford would play the first 5 matches and looking likely to keep playing in the firsts I would've been shocked....
Same. The thing with Langers is how he improves. Clearly he has a capacity to adapt and learn. Plus he came from a non footy school and general environment. He also had a few illnesses as a teen so was behind the eight ball physically.

What we may see is he will start to hang onto the ball longer. Still a heap of upside to come.

He has all the attributes to succeed. More hard work coming his way and he aint going to shirk it. Its the reason he will succeed as a player at this level. Another preseason and i hazard a guess that he would be entrenched as one of our better players at the rate of his progress.

i.e. Physically and mentally drains everything out of himself game day as opposed to some of our seemingly more apathetic players.

He did leave his lunch out there.

Memo to Langers: don't eat carrots for lunch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Same. The thing with Langers is how he improves. Clearly he has a capacity to adapt and learn. Plus he came from a non footy school and general environment. He also had a few illnesses as a teen so was behind the eight ball physically.

What we may see is he will start to hang onto the ball longer. Still a heap of upside to come.
Yep, he seems to improve every week. Just absorbs the lessons of one match and adapts his game. In another preseason or two he should have the physical capabilities to really be some sort of player.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Back