News Will Minson Gone 4 weeks VFL Tribunal

Remove this Banner Ad

Sal Perna is no dill, 20 years with Vic Police, he is Victoria’s inaugural Racing Integrity Commissioner, Chairman of Crime Stoppers (Vic), a Member of the AFL Victoria Tribunal, Chief Commissioner's representative and ex- Deputy Chairman of the Victoria Police Blue Ribbon Foundation, a mentor of the Melbourne Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation's Youth in Philanthropy Program, and the Honorary Chairman and co-founder of SecMan (Forum of Australian Corporate Security Executives). He is also a life Governor of the Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne.

He was also the head of Australia Post's Corporate Security Group and Director of Telstra's Corporate Security.

No dill , so what ?
What makes him any more informed on something like this than any one of us BF posters that watch Footy every week.
Its not F-- n rocket science , we don't need trumped up academics or legal experts running sport tribunals.
I run a business , and I have dealt with people that CV's as long as your arm , but I can tell you it does not guarantee COMMON SENSE !

No dill , so what ?
What makes him any more informed on something like this than any one of us BF posters that watch Footy every week.
Its not F-- n rocket science , we don't need trumped up academics or legal experts running sport tribunals.
I run a business , and I have dealt with people that CV's as long as your arm , but I can tell you it does not guarantee COMMON SENSE !

Yeah, already responded and agreed with this on the previous page. I've also worked with some of the dumbest smart people God put breath into. Sounds a bit like a certain ruckman ;)

I like comparing it to other suspensions. Makes it even funnier.

Conca elbows Devon Smith in the back of the head while he goes off the ground with potential to cause serious damage - 2 weeks
340555-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Will Minson lightly pats an umpire on the back as he runs past - 4 weeks

We all know there is favouritism, reverse the rolls of Fyfe and Stevens, Stevens would have got 2 games. You can almost guess most tribunal findings before they go ahead, you can pick the cases out which will be given favouritism.

I can't help thinking that if a player from another club was involved e.g. Collingwood, Hawthorn, Sydney, the likely punishment would have been a fine.
The photos posted by Doggstats on the previous page show that even a trip to the tribunal does not even come into the equation for such clubs. So what is it that makes our case different? Is it the combination of an inexperienced umpire, an out of step tribunal or a show trial to make an example of someone who just happens to be a big, angry, rather silly ruckman with some form of abusing umpires?
It's probably all of the above, but the over-riding impression is that, once again, there are double standards and contradictions depending on the club and the player involved. Fairness, equality and justice are optional components of the AFL judicial/tribunal system!

I'm not sure what planet Will thinks he is on, but touching an umpire is a no go zone. Why would he, of all people, go there? If he swore at the umpire and touched him twice, what did he expect would happen? Why would he put himself in a position where a consequence like a suspension could be the result, no matter how unjust this might seem? I just don't understand how Will can repeatedly act without social awareness.

I hope the decision is reversed but I despair at Will's continued inability to prevent himself crossing the line.

Breaking news: Nat Fyfe has received a fine for robbing a fat man at gun point.

In further news Will Minson has received life in jail for not helping the fat man, violating the Good Samaritin Law. Even though Will was on the opposite side of the country, the prosecution used the precedent of 'Massachusetts v Seinfeld, Costanza, Benes, & Kramer 1998' to put the troubled big man away for life.

This is exactly the kind of sanction which confirms the worst umpire stereotypes and hurts umpire player supporter perceptions

Russo, power & perna have made a decision which discredits football tribunals and governing bodies throughout the code

in ignoring the prosecutions call for a fine they showed a willfulness to make a statement. Having previously agreed to no need for minson to testify they misled minson and made a mockery of the entire proceedings

Powers, perna & Russo made this about themselves. They decided to make some news against the interest of both umpires and the tribunal process

The trust between players/supporters and umpires is undermined. The reported testimony of the umpires is one of embarrassment

What we have here is 3 guys who were obviously influenced or directed by some other consideration or parties

I for one find it unforgivable
This is not about minson
It's any player and every player at every level who cannot help but now treat umpires as dehumanized freaks

It's about kids who might have considered umpiring but will be put off by the reinforced stereotype this sanction cements.

We all know there is favouritism, reverse the rolls of Fyfe and Stevens, Stevens would have got 2 games. You can almost guess most tribunal findings before they go ahead, you can pick the cases out which will be given favouritism.

No, the Fyfe one was correct and Stevens would have gotten exactly the same punishment as it is listed clearly in the new tribunal guidelines.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really the umpires fault, they called for it to be a fine. It's the overreaction by the tribunal, and I wonder if Beveridge's comments put their little noses out of joint and went harder at Minson as a result?

Not really the umpires fault, they called for it to be a fine. It's the overreaction by the tribunal, and I wonder if Beveridge's comments put their little noses out of joint and went harder at Minson as a result?

I can certainly buy them taking offense to Bev & Gordon essentially calling the report laughable.

Exactly, yet the VFL/ AFL Victoria have made it a much bigger deal than it needed to be. Common sense would suggest you'd give the umpire a chance to umpire any game but the Footscray game this week, just to give him a break from the sh*t you've put him in.

The incompetence of all involved in these decisions is staggering.

I'm not sure what planet Will thinks he is on, but touching an umpire is a no go zone. Why would he, of all people, go there? If he swore at the umpire and touched him twice, what did he expect would happen? Why would he put himself in a position where a consequence like a suspension could be the result, no matter how unjust this might seem? I just don't understand how Will can repeatedly act without social awareness.

I hope the decision is reversed but I despair at Will's

" continued inability to prevent himself crossing the line "
What are you talking about ? how many times has he been reported for touching umpires ?
How many times has he been reported ?
To me he looks like a thousand other footballers I have watched over my time that makes the odd mistake , but hardly an axe murderer !

Exactly, yet the VFL/ AFL Victoria have made it a much bigger deal than it needed to be. Common sense would suggest you'd give the umpire a chance to umpire any game but the Footscray game this week, just to give him a break from the sh*t you've put him in.

The incompetence of all involved in these decisions is staggering.

Ok here is what I dont get..........

There were two times Will contact the umpire,

1) When the umpire ran past him towards goal
2) When Will was running back to the middle past the umpire.

SO.
If he was reported & carded for the first incident - how was it even possible that he was running back to the middle for the ball up ???
He logically should have been sent straight off and the second incident would not have occurred.

He was given 4 weeks as I understand it for incident 1, yet logically that couldn't have been the incident he was reported/carded for.

What I think happened....
- Will was reported for incident 2 and sent off
- Beveridge and others called for it to be thrown out
- VFL got there backs up and after looking at the tape thought they could make the charge stick to the first incident - so prosecuted that touch not the second which clearly happens 100 times every match.

Is the VFL also trying to end this young umpires career or what? They've dealt with this in the most ludicrous way.

Oh just imagine the fun we can have with this! I was coming down for the GWS game but this changes everything!

What are you talking about ? how many times has he been reported for touching umpires ?
To me he looks like a thousand other footballers I have watched over my time that makes the odd mistake , but hardly an axe murderer !

Will has got himself into hot water before -

You can read up on brief summaries of 2 incidents here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Minson

I'm expecting Will to be a more disciplined ruckman when he returns to the seniors.

Will Minson has crossed the line on many occassions in many areas not just umpire touching, in short he seems to be a bit of a dickhead.

How many AFL players have been suspended for inappropriate sledging by their own club? Will has...
How many players suspended for touching an umpire? Will has...
Plus the rumours last year about him bullying his own teammates and being thumped for it.
How many players continually give stupid high tackle frees week in, week out, year after year...Will does.
How many players have been referred to by their coach as stupid or dumb? Will has.

What is worse, Will must have known he was close to a recall yet still does something stupid to screw it up for himself and his club.

Doesn't change my view that the penalty is harsh. But be honest, Will seems to be a dickhead.

Will Minson has crossed the line on many occassions in many areas not just umpire touching, in short he seems to be a bit of a dickhead.

How many AFL players have been suspended for inappropriate sledging by their own club? Will has...
How many players suspended for touching an umpire? Will has...
Plus the rumours last year about him bullying his own teammates and being thumped for it.
How many players continually give stupid high tackle frees week in, week out, year after year...Will does.
How many players have been referred to by their coach as stupid or dumb? Will has.

What is worse, Will must have known he was close to a recall yet still does something stupid to screw it up for himself and his club.

Doesn't change my view that the penalty is harsh. But be honest, Will seems to be a dickhead.
How about showing some balance and mentioning some of the good stuff he has done? He has done an extraordinary amount for charity in his time. But be honest, you have no idea what he is like in person so you have no idea if he is a dickhead or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back