News Will Minson Gone 4 weeks VFL Tribunal

Remove this Banner Ad

How many AFL players have been suspended for inappropriate sledging by their own club? Will has...
How many players suspended for touching an umpire? Will has...
Plus the rumours last year about him bullying his own teammates and being thumped for it.
How many players continually give stupid high tackle frees week in, week out, year after year...Will does.
How many players have been referred to by their coach as stupid or dumb? Will has.

You're first example of why you think Will seems a dickhead is somewhat reasonable, the second is up for debate, but with the last three you are really reaching.

Will Minson has crossed the line on many occassions in many areas not just umpire touching, in short he seems to be a bit of a dickhead.

How many AFL players have been suspended for inappropriate sledging by their own club? Will has...
Plus the rumours last year about him bullying his own teammates and being thumped for it.
How many players continually give stupid high tackle frees week in, week out, year after year...Will does.
How many players have been referred to by their coach as stupid or dumb? Will has.

What is worse, Will must have known he was close to a recall yet still does something stupid to screw it up for himself and his club.

Doesn't change my view that the penalty is harsh. But be honest, Will seems to be a dickhead.
What you have cited is just underwhelming
He is clumsy agree
But he bullied a player at the club is the worst form of conjecture
As for verbal abuse really ? All the players swear and will be will is smarter then the average sledger and thus is more offensive.

But finally this case is not about minson
It sends a horrible counter productive message about umpires
Being superficially precious

Rather than protecting umpires it will fuel contempt and fan abuse at games

It also creates an unworkable precedent which inevitably will throw up innumerable interactions on a weekly basis of a similar type

And each occasion reminding everyone of this stupidity of power perna Russo

Whilst different the parallel with the heavy handed curly incident is unavoidable

Will has got himself into hot water before -

You can read up on brief summaries of 2 incidents here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Minson

I'm expecting Will to be a more disciplined ruckman when he returns to the seniors.

So you have come up with 2 ?
Will Minson has crossed the line on many occassions in many areas not just umpire touching, in short he seems to be a bit of a dickhead.

What is worse, Will must have known he was close to a recall yet still does something stupid to screw it up for himself and his club.

Doesn't change my view that the penalty is harsh. But be honest, Will seems to be a dickhead.

Like I said previously I don't know the bloke at all . I do know umpires don't like him , I guess that is his fault ?
Don't Know ? all is I know they will find any excuse they can to free kick him .
As an example , have a look at our game when Pike can continually use 2 hands in the back to push Cordy under the ball , How do you reckon Minson would fare doing the same ?
But he was drafted in 2002 , that list you put up is no great big deal to me in 13 years of footy.
I could go though them one by one , but cant be bothered , not out to change anyone's mind , my opinion is no more relevant than yours !

People should note, I used the modifier 'seems' as in Will 'seems to be a dickhead'. Yep I don't know him, my kids have met him and loved him.

Given I appear to have offended some people here, I will retract seems to be a dickhead. And replace it with:

There is clear evidence that Will is a frustrating individual with impulse control issues that often cost him and his club (some might call that being a dickhead but I know I shouldn't as I don't know him personally).

People should note, I used the modifier 'seems' as in Will 'seems to be a dickhead'. Yep I don't know him, my kids have met him and loved him.

Given I appear to have offended some people here, I will retract seems to be a dickhead. And replace it with:

There is clear evidence that Will is a frustrating individual with impulse control issues that often cost him and his club (some might call that being a dickhead but I know I shouldn't as I don't know him personally).
There is just as valid a narrative that a coach named eade unfairly made injudicious public comments which the media jumped on for its own amusement and donned minson with an unfair label and unfair attention

There is a strong argument that minson is free kicked against for his strength not his actions- in ruck and marking contests. Defenders routinely shepherd him out of marking contests that would attract free kicks but not for minson
And when he makes contact and his opponent falls over he is free kicked not for his action but his strength

He is a big , clumsy guy who is highly intelligent - the perfect target for purile public amusement

There is just as valid a narrative that a coach named eade unfairly made injudicious public comments which the media jumped on for its own amusement and donned minson with an unfair label and unfair attention

There is a strong argument that minson is free kicked against for his strength not his actions- in ruck and marking contests. Defenders routinely shepherd him out of marking contests that would attract free kicks but not for minson
And when he makes contact and his opponent falls over he is free kicked not for his action but his strength

He is a big , clumsy guy who is highly intelligent - the perfect target for purile public amusement

The purile world's against Will...:rolleyes:

Will has got himself into hot water before -

You can read up on brief summaries of 2 incidents here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Minson

I'm expecting Will to be a more disciplined ruckman when he returns to the seniors.
More trumped up bullshit. Campbell Brown was celebrated and he used to whack players in the head and publicly beat up a teammate, Jeremy Cameron continually and agressively bumps players with their heads over the ball, Luke Hodge snipes players behind play, do I need to go on?
Yet Will Minson is demonized for saying some naughty words (one incident where he brought it to attention by seeking out Cornes to apologize, with the Cornes family showing all the class of the cashed up bogans they are and the other he said something that I'd hazard to guess is said several times on every football ground in the country) and not much else in 15 years of footy. The guy is an easy target because he doesn't fight back, comes from a small club and isn't part of the boys club (most likely because the boys are ******* morons).

Have we just stumbled across the reason why Bevo and MC haven't selected big Will for the past 5 weeks ? o_O

More trumped up bullshit. Campbell Brown was celebrated and he used to whack players in the head and publicly beat up a teammate, Jeremy Cameron continually and agressively bumps players with their heads over the ball, Luke Hodge snipes players behind play, do I need to go on?
Yet Will Minson is demonized for saying some naughty words (one incident where he brought it to attention by seeking out Cornes to apologize, with the Cornes family showing all the class of the cashed up bogans they are and the other he said something that I'd hazard to guess is said several times on every football ground in the country) and not much else in 15 years of footy. The guy is an easy target because he doesn't fight back, comes from a small club and isn't part of the boys club (most likely because the boys are ******* morons).
Bingo.
The club let Will down re: the Pearce incident. I am really glad they have rallied this time. He has been a great Club man and deserves our full support. Does what is asked of him and gets on with it.

Very well articulated immortal !

AFLPA have come out on our side & are very disappointed that a fine & strong reprimand wasn't handed out instead. Guess it can't hurt in the appeal process, but I can't help but feel the VFL will make a stand on this now but eventually bend over when it's way too late (ie, end of the season).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLPA have come out on our side & are very disappointed that a fine & strong reprimand wasn't handed out instead. Guess it can't hurt in the appeal process, but I can't help but feel the VFL will make a stand on this now but eventually bend over when it's way too late (ie, end of the season).
The AFL are at fault here, the VFL wanted a fine.

Spot on.

So we won't even be able to name him? Or would it be that we could name four emergencies and if the case is thrown out he's eligible to be named?

He can be named on the field pending the outcome

Why Would VFL. Appoint same umpire to our Footscray VFL GAME against Frankston on Sunday.
It seems to me they are really trying to stick this right up our noses.
Umpire certainly does not have to worry about going back to under 18s. The bloke is obviously an umpiring raising star.
VFL this a very poor appointment, it appears the umpires appointment board are as over zealous as their umpires.
DISGRACEFUL.
GO DOGGIES.

Minson isn't a saint but this is just unreasonable. I bet the VFL would have handed out a fine if he player for Port Melbourne.

Having a laugh.

But in all seriousness to the majority of the posts on this matter I don't get the level of vitriol at the tribunal at all. Certainly not to the umpires involved?

Minno is an utter dickhead. He's our dickhead; but a dickhead nonetheless. He has form in this type of crap and I think he actually deserves a fairly serious (metaphorical) kicking by someone.

I don't get why he felt the need to touch the umpire.....twice. Was it absolutely low end of course, but both (yes 2 times he made a concerted beeline to get some contact) times could be read to be intimidatory. It's absolutely stupid, idiotic, utterly brain-numbing stupid stuff.

So as a dogs supporter I say **** him. Bench him for 4 weeks and let him try to understand the rule states that you ....do ....not....touch.... umpires. That's it.

The reality is the appeal will get upheld as its a ridiculously excessive finding but maybe they are just sick of him trying this s**t on...? I certainly am.
Couldn't have said it better. I was reminded of the comments to Kane Cornes, and then there was the 'rumour' about Will and one of our younger players last year.

Good on the field? Yes, but I won't be unhappy to see the back of him.

I can't believe we won't stick up for one of our own in this instance. If he played for Essendon and took drugs it would be 'poor thing'. If he was black it would be 'poor thing'. Whatever he has been guilty of in the past has been trite and this latest issue is the same seeing as the UMPIRE HIMSELF said Will shouldn't be treated harshly - he's only copping it because he's an easy skapegoat to make an example of and from a club with the least amount of supporters to upset. If the accusations of bully etc are true, the club wouldn't have signed him up for another year.

Couldn't have said it better. I was reminded of the comments to Kane Cornes, and then there was the 'rumour' about Will and one of our younger players last year.

You mean the comments after Cornes had bagged out Will's brother for having no heart? The same comments Will himself brought attention to when he felt they were out of bounds and apologized off his own steam?
Are we seriously still paying a guy out for one small issue and a rumour nobody knows the full story about in over a decade of footy? The same guy who has done so much charity outside of the club's directives that he has become a fairly high ranking member of the Red Dust foundation?

You've hung a bloke for participating in sledging, a practice designed to get the opposition off their game. It was a two way street, he didn't feel comfortable with it post game so tried to make amends. I am glad he was prepared to press as far as he did to get a reaction. So long as you are not racist, sexist, or homophobic there isn't much else off limits outside of your own personal morals. As far as I know here are no rules against acting like a prick. I comend Will for risking his personal reputation to try and enhance our chance of victory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back