Will Minson

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't really make sense to me TBH. Would have thought the type of ruckman he is (bash and crash, tackle/clearance) would be ideal for the style the Bulldogs are trying to play, clearing the way for their classy mids to do their thing, a la Matthew Lobbe at Port Adelaide, Shane Mumford at GWS.

I've heard the reason that he's out of favour at the Bulldogs is because he allows his opponent to do too much, and doesn't take enough marks around the ground. How does the occassional mark on the wing from Ayce Cordy really offset that, when Cordy has been getting slaughtered in the hitouts, and does way less around the clearances and around the ground than Minson does?

I fully expect Aaron Sandilands to top his career-high of 58 hitouts this week, and for the Dockers midfield to be as dominant as ever as a result.

Last edited:

Heard this morning 'there are something's we can't allow to go to air'. Must be more to it than form.

Looks like they're just giving Cordy and Campbell a bit of a run to see whether they deserve to stay on the list. I mean, Cordy's been around for what six years but has barely played and hasn't fired a shot. Needed a bit of a go to see whether or not he was up to it

Looks like they're just giving Cordy and Campbell a bit of a run to see whether they deserve to stay on the list. I mean, Cordy's been around for what six years but has barely played and hasn't fired a shot. Needed a bit of a go to see whether or not he was up to it
This early in the season when they are actually winning games? I hardly think it's a good time to 'see what the kids can do'.

Campbell hasn't played this year, and Cordy is getting slaughtered in the ruck every week, doing far, far worse than Minson was.

Just a s**t bloke and Beverage has come in and set some very high club standards...

What exactly makes Minson a "s**t bloke"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol - just beat me to it!!!

So he made some very inappropriate comments on the field three years ago, and he's a terrible person forever more? Ok then.

Geez, people on BigFooty really cling to that sort of stuff, don't they? Still doesn't explain why he's not getting selected ahead of an inferior, under-performing ruckman, though.

Lol that article is half s**t.

"It is almost four years since Minson was involved in a similar scandal for sledging another Port Adelaide player, Kane Cornes, during a match in Darwin. It is understood Minson made derogatory comments about the Power veteran's son, who has suffered from serious health problems."

This part in particular is very misleading about what was rumored to be said.

Character assassination of the highest order. I suppose we just ignore that he does more charity work than just about anyone in the AFL when we label him a "s**t, dog of a bloke"?

Port fans seriously condemn someone over 1 or 2 VERBAL incidents on the field over 10+ year career?

And that response to the incident akin to "f ya mum" was laughable by port.

Give me a break. Far worse has been said on field than that. Build a bridge, port fans.

ON TOPIC: He's not in the team because his defensive side of the game isn't up to it. Nuff said.

Lol that article is half s**t.

"It is almost four years since Minson was involved in a similar scandal for sledging another Port Adelaide player, Kane Cornes, during a match in Darwin. It is understood Minson made derogatory comments about the Power veteran's son, who has suffered from serious health problems."

This part in particular is very misleading about what was rumored to be said.

Character assassination of the highest order. I suppose we just ignore that he does more charity work than just about anyone in the AFL when we label him a "s**t, dog of a bloke"?

Port fans seriously condemn someone over 1 or 2 VERBAL incidents on the field over 10+ year career?

And that response to the incident akin to "f ya mum" was laughable by port.

Give me a break. Far worse has been said on field than that. Build a bridge, port fans.

ON TOPIC: He's not in the team because his defensive side of the game isn't up to it. Nuff said.
How can it be character assassination when on both occasions he has admitted wrong. It isn't assassinating his character at all, he was guilty, admitted guity and the facts aren't in dispute.

If what Will said to Pearce was standard sledging, why was he reported for it by a field umpire and suspended for a match by the Dogs. His crack at Cornes was as low as you can get on a sporting field.

Port fans will never respect Will. Just as Hawks fans will never respect Lloyd for his actions on field or West Coast feel anger at Barry Hall.

Having said that, Will does an incredible amount of charity work and agree that his past indiscretions have no bearing on his non-selection in the team

And what is Ayce Cordy doing as #1 ruckman over the last three weeks that is superior? You'd think letting the opposition get the vast majority of the hitouts and offering next to nothing around the ground would be just as damaging to your team as anything else from a rucking perspective. Cordy over the last three games (as #1 ruck) - 9.7 disposals per game, 12 hitouts per game, 2.33 marks per game, 3 tackles per game, 1.7 clearances per game, 4.7 1%ers per game. Points for effort, but that's about it.

The most telling stat is the hitout counts across those three games though - 93 to the Bulldogs, but a whopping 171 to the opposition. Sure, hitouts aren't the only aspect of ruckwork, but when you're getting smashed by that amount, and not really making up for it or hurting the opposition in other areas, eventually it's going to hurt you as a team.

I'm failing to see what was so "poor" about Minson defensively in the first few rounds, too. He was averaging 4.7 tackles and 4.7 1%ers per game over the first three games, which are very good numbers for a ruckman (has also averaged 3 clearances per game, too, also very good for a ruck), and superior to what Cordy has offered as the #1, too. His opposition didn't exactly have fantastically influential individual games, either, but in tandem (Naitanui and Lycett, Maric and Griffiths, McEvoy and Ceglar) probably were superior to the virtually solo Minson.

I think what was needed was a solid, reliable backup for Minson, who can give him some help in combating opposition tandems, rather than making out he was the problem and replacing him with someone else who has been far inferior.

Once Cordy (likely) gets butchered by Sandilands today, hopefully Beveridge will see the need for what Minson offers, and will look to incorporate two ruckmen into the Bulldogs' line-up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back