Prediction Will Mitch Brown make it?

Will he make it at AFL level?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Mitch didn't make it. Well he seems like a good young guy who clearly has talent. But the bottom line is he did not make it with us.

I hope he does really well at another AFL club if only to stick it up our own Coodabeens. Yes we all have our opinions but it is done, over, finis. Let's move on and wish the boy well.

I would be surprised if Wells, Balme et al do not share my sentiments.

Simpkin comes to mind.
I actually rated Simpkin as a player (still do) and was disappointed we didn't have the cap space to keep him. I think his circumstances are different because I'd heard the club really wanted to keep him at the time, just couldn't fit him in the side. Simpkin was only ever a rookie on our list, Brown on the senior list has been given many chances to prove himself. if he can at another club, then good luck to him.

Realistically if we'd kept Simpkin how many games would he have got for us? He would've been right on the borderline of our 22 and would've taken games from guys like Horlin-Smith, Hartman and McCarthy who all show the potential to be really good players, something I can't see in Simpkin. He was what Hawthorn needed to provide depth while challenging for the flag but just because he worked out well for Hawthorn doesn't mean we lost anything by not having him on our list.

Not only that, if you were consistent and fair (which of course we're not), 'just ok' could be applied to quite a few players on our senior list right now. Off the top of my head Vardy, Simpson, Murdoch, Walker, Blicavs are all 'just ok'. You could probably say the same about James Kelly now too.

Geez you really have a bee in your bonnet about Kelly by the looks of things, lumping him in with those five players following two poor games after the season he had.

May as well throw Guthrie in there by that criteria, three of his last five games being pretty bloody average.

Geez you really have a bee in your bonnet about Kelly by the looks of things, lumping him in with those five players following two poor games after the season he had.

May as well throw Guthrie in there by that criteria, three of his last five games being pretty bloody average.

I want players picked on merit. Not on past deeds. For a side that hasn't won anything in three seasons, we seem to have an awful lot of untouchable players.

If you want to discuss Guthrie fine. Do you think his best footy is ahead of him or behind him? Do you think he's got a slightly brighter future than Kelly?

Last edited:
I want players picked on merit. Not on past deeds.

So do I, and that was exactly what happened with Kelly this year, he was picked on merit.

If you want to discuss Guthrie fine. Do you think his best footy is ahead of him or behind him? Do you think he's got a slightly brighter future than Kelly?

Of course his best footy is [hopefully] ahead of him, but that's beside the point, you say you want players "picked on merit" so age should have no bearing on that, yet you seem happy to keep playing Guthrie despite several poor games, yet want Kelly dropped on the back of two poor ones simply because he's older.

If Kelly's form from the finals continues into next year he goes, no two ways about it, however if he plays at the level he displayed over the course of the year he keeps getting a game, simple as that IMO.

So do I, and that was exactly what happened with Kelly this year, he was picked on merit.

Not for the finals he wasn't. Bews could have and should have been picked ahead of him.

Of course his best footy is [hopefully] ahead of him, but that's beside the point, you say you want players "picked on merit" so age should have no bearing on that, yet you seem happy to keep playing Guthrie despite several poor games, yet want Kelly dropped on the back of two poor ones simply because he's older.

If Kelly's form from the finals continues into next year he goes, no two ways about it, however if he plays at the level he displayed over the course of the year he keeps getting a game, simple as that IMO.

Sure. And when any young guy is nominated, the reason they won't get picked - on here - will be that "they haven't earned it".

Enjoy the (long) premiership drought. We've got all the pieces in place now.

Not for the finals he wasn't. Bews could have and should have been picked ahead of him.

So you're saying he should have been dropped after one bad game against Hawthorn? Should we also have dropped Hawkins, Caddy and Mackie as well then?

Sure. And when any young guy is nominated, the reason they won't get picked - on here - will be that "they haven't earned it".

Not sure about others, but as far as I'm concerned young players should get picked when they show they can offer more to the team then the player they're replacing, a fairly simple concept I would have thought.
Those young blokes played a total of sixty games between them this year, not bad for players you say don't get the opportunities they deserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want players picked on merit. Not on past deeds. For a side that hasn't won anything in three seasons, we seem to have an awful of untouchable players.

Do you mean we have a few awful,untouchable players ;)

You mean like how Sewell was dropped for one bad game against Geelong? Yeah, kind of like that.
He had become a fringe player at Hawthorn though, which pretty much guarantees you have to play well every week. Kelly was well and truly ensconced in the team.

I have agreed with you that Bews should have played in both finals but if we're picking someone for him to replace it would have been SJ not Kelly against Hawthorn and after that game I wouldn't have dropped Kelly (despite his poor performance) for NM as the player who should be in his position would have already been in the team.

Kelly would have been on the IC bench if I were picking the team. Now his role in 2015 is a completely different scenario entirely and I would hope that early season performances from Bews and/or Thurlow put pressure on Kelly to perform or be pushed out.

It's up to the challengers to push out the incumbent, not the other way round.

I want players picked on merit. Not on past deeds. For a side that hasn't won anything in three seasons, we seem to have an awful lot of untouchable players.

I count 50 wins of a possible 66 regular season wins. A PF loss- 5 points. A SF loss of 6 points. And an EF loss of more points than I can find right now.

That is clearly not winning flags and that is the ultimate goal. No argument there. But to call it a side that hasn't won anything in 3 years is pretty myopic.

Winning nothing would be, literally, winning nothing would it not?

I get you want players selected on form not past deeds and that is fair enough but id say it is far from winning anything. And just as players on the way up have bad games and go missing, players on the way down will do the same. They won't be brilliant every game much as we want them to. And while they have more better games than worse, they'll keep playing Id suggest but the opportunity to be replaced will grow with every poorer performance.

Go Catters

Do we continue this thread until we know he has been picked up by another team, and then still continue it

OR

do we close the thread now because clearly he did not make it at Geelong, and that is what counts, is it not?

Last edited:
That it makes you lol is a statement in itself.

Most of the BF in the know people suggested Brown was gone; I am not one of those, clearly, as usual, I hoped he may have survived to remain on our list, thought he was a talented, but very unlucky player with us, finally over his injuries, but still starved of opportunities. Writing on the wall stuff; but his last 2 AFL games were commendable.
I really hope he gets a shot somewhere, still young enough.
What did you think of Hamling. If Brown had a lack of opportunities (something I strongly disagree with) then how many opportunities did Hamling get? Or Schroeder?

i always thought he was a better than even chance of being delisted, but i still think he has a lot of talent and will make it at a club playing as the third tall forward or back... if he gets picked up again.

i also still dont think he did a lot wrong in his time at geelong, save perhaps picking up a lot of injuries.

but whatever, he is spoken for now.
He didn't do a lot wrong except show he was capable of playing at an AFL level after 6 years in the system. Double the time others get. A couple of those years were injury prone but the last 3 he had no more injuries then any other player. Just didn't have the body to play at the elite level.

Rolled his ankle in the dying minutes of Round 1 v Adelaide. Played with that against Brisbane and Collingwood, then was taken out of the team. Scott specifically mentioned it and praised him for playing through it in the press conference prior to the West Coast game (I think). Then had minor shoulder surgery a few weeks later (I'd have to check when he missed the VFL for confirmation, my guess would be somewhere in the Rounds 10-12 area). Played however many VFL games after than and came back (and played well) against Brisbane in the last round.
You cant claim every minor injury for Brown and then attack Kelly for a lack of form at the end of the season knowing that he had an injury during the finals the MC have since admitted was so bad that it was a mistake to play him.

What did you think of Hamling. If Brown had a lack of opportunities (something I strongly disagree with) then how many opportunities did Hamling get? Or Schroeder?
Brown did have very few opportunities this year when he was available and apparently, according to the coach early on, best 22.
Hamling again, NO opportunities at all, Shroder very few.
Agree about those 2.

If you still think he is going to be a great player after being delisted in his mid twenties because we couldn't trade him to anyone then yeah there is nothing to do except laugh.

Find me a quote.

Never said he was going to be a great player. I thought he was worth persevering with. There's a big, big, big, big difference.

Agree about the laughter though. There's going to be much hilarity in the next couple of a seasons when a few more get chopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back