Will North Melbourne break the attendance record at Bellerive Oval in 2015?

Will North break the Bellerive attendance record in 2015?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And since then, we're a much stronger club.

Due largely to the extra hooks they have in you...'disequal funding'.

You are relatively stronger though, there are certainly other clubs more vulnerable now.

Due largely to the extra hooks they have in you...'disequal funding'.

You are relatively stronger though, there are certainly other clubs more vulnerable now.

Of course, we couldn't have done anything by ourselves. :rolleyes:

North Melbourne are a much stronger club now than in 2007 because of the people running North Melbourne. Simple as that.

Of course, we couldn't have done anything by ourselves. :rolleyes:

North Melbourne are a much stronger club now than in 2007 because of the people running North Melbourne. Simple as that.

Yep, over $10Million in disequal funding had absolutely nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Yep, over $10Million in disequal funding had absolutely nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

I'm glad you agree. The funding is definitely a part of why we can remain competitive, but the club relying on it less and less is proof that the people behind North Melbourne are the reason the club is getting stronger.

I'm glad you agree. The funding is definitely a part of why we can remain competitive, but the club relying on it less and less is proof that the people behind North Melbourne are the reason the club is getting stronger.

How are you relying on it less?

Is that due to admin, or the simple fact that you're up right now, so the bandwagon is chugging along (every club has one)?

How are you relying on it less?

Is that due to admin, or the simple fact that you're up right now, so the bandwagon is chugging along (every club has one)?

We were 'up' in 2007 when we played in a prelim and we were dirt poor. Last year when we didn't even play finals we were much better financially than in 2007, as we were when we got obliterated in a final in 2012.

We were 'up' in 2007 when we played in a prelim and we were dirt poor. Last year when we didn't even play finals we were much better financially than in 2007, as we were when we got obliterated in a final in 2012.
Are North fans able to put numbers to these claims?

How much debt did North have in 2007? What about now? Profit/loss in 2006-2007 and 2013-2014? I'd be really curious to see the actual numbers because I've heard these claims plenty of times in the past year or two.

Are North fans able to put numbers to these claims?

How much debt did North have in 2007? What about now? Profit/loss in 2006-2007 and 2013-2014? I'd be really curious to see the actual numbers because I've heard these claims plenty of times in the past year or two.

North Melbourne 2007 debt: $8.5 million (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...th--and-hasnt-gone-south-20140918-10ipr4.html)
North Melbourne 2014 debt: $2.05 million (https://membership.nmfc.com.au/packages/view/63/Debt_Reduction_Contribution)

North Melbourne 2007 profit/loss: $280,000 loss
(http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2007-02-28/new-mix-on-kangas-board)
North Melbourne 2014 profit/loss: $423,074 profit (http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-12-04/north-records-profit)

Cheers. Something I've wondered about for a while.

Be careful of simplistic 'headlines'/'press releases' with financials. North hasn't released their financial report yet (god knows how/why they can't report on a Oct 31 close by now, but that's what they do).

In terms of being 'better' though.

Debt down ~$6.5M, profit up ~$700K

Do you think getting ~$3M/year from the AFL for the past 3 years that they didn't get in 2007 helped? (not to mention all the other money they got since then).

But no, according to Enigmal, it's all due to the people they have...:rolleyes:

They're in a better state on the surface, but it's more 'not dying, but stuck on life support'.

Be careful of simplistic 'headlines'/'press releases' with financials. North hasn't released their financial report yet (god knows how/why they can't report on a Oct 31 close by now, but that's what they do).

In terms of being 'better' though.

Debt down ~$6.5M, profit up ~$700K

Do you think getting ~$3M/year from the AFL for the past 3 years that they didn't get in 2007 helped? (not to mention all the other money they got since then).

But no, according to Enigmal, it's all due to the people they have...:rolleyes:

They're in a better state on the surface, but it's more 'not dying, but stuck on life support'.
Very interesting. If the AFL really did provide North with $3 million in 2014 then that means they've made a loss of $2.3 million on their own. It'd also mean the AFL could make life very difficult for the Kangas if they don't do as they please. To get this thread semi back on topic, an offer of 7 home games at Bellerive and York Park (alternating each year) at the end of 2016 (when both current Tasmanian deals end) could be really hard to turn down if the AFL threatens to pull funding. Think about it this way, what's more important - playing four extra home games in Melbourne or staying out of debt/reducing debt? I'm sure the AFL would schedule more away games in Victoria to compensate for the loss of home games.

To answer the thread topic, I think the North-Richmond game will break the attendance record at Bellerive.

Very interesting. If the AFL really did provide North with $3 million in 2014 then that means they've made a loss of $2.3 million on their own. It'd also mean the AFL could make life very difficult for the Kangas if they don't do as they please. To get this thread semi back on topic, an offer of 7 home games at Bellerive and York Park (alternating each year) at the end of 2016 (when both current Tasmanian deals end) could be really hard to turn down if the AFL threatens to pull funding. Think about it this way, what's more important - playing four extra home games in Melbourne or staying out of debt/reducing debt? I'm sure the AFL would schedule more away games in Victoria to compensate for the loss of home games.

That was kind of my point.

Having said that, other Vic clubs are looking worse right now (although that could be largely due to ladder position), and considering how the AFL dug Melbourne out and are spending big on expansion clubs, I can't see them pulling the pin anytime soon.

To answer the thread topic, I think the North-Richmond game will break the attendance record at Bellerive.

I suspect the cricket will get there first with a number that's tough to beat. Also, North didn't exactly draw many last year (10641 & 10702), so while Richmond should pull a few, relying on the away team to double those numbers is a tough ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the cricket will be greater considering how many Aussies follow Australia, the number of expat Scots & also allowing for Scottish tourists. It's the WC, so it should go close to a sellout atleast.

The footy will depend on how both sides are travelling. Unless Richmond has a heap of supporters in Tassie or sends plane loads full, I don't see this selling out.

meaningless record, small stadium and pointless thread

scott-1.gif

Further to the above, football department spend has increased from $11.7 mil in 2007 to an expected $17+ mil in 2014, and revenue has increased from what I recall being the low to mid $20 mil range in 2008 to $32 mil in 2013.

Yes and that is finished. We didn't play in cairns this year. And as I said, why should the dons get out of a true home ground game?
Essendon havent played in Geelong since the mid 90s......
Geelong are contracted play a few games at Etihad every season, so Essendon always play Geelong there.
why cant it be played at the MCG the last 5 seasons crowds have been
2014 43,732
2013 53,014
2012 50,066

how often do richmond play a "true home ground game"

To be fair, clubs use the afl dividend as income so most clubs would be in this situation I think. Just some more than others and by how much.

Essendon havent played in Geelong since the mid 90s......
Geelong are contracted play a few games at Etihad every season, so Essendon always play Geelong there.
why cant it be played at the MCG the last 5 seasons crowds have been
2014 43,732
2013 53,014
2012 50,066

how often do richmond play a "true home ground game"
But that isn't the point. The dons 'should' have played down at Geelong regardless of attendance stats( just like the blues, pies, hawks etc). That's my point when saying we have subsidised the other big drawing clubs playing there. We also would get better crowds but that hasn't been an issue to the AFL. As to the true Richmond home game, it isn't relevant to us, but it is relevant to the cats who have their own ground.

Bizarre that Richmond can play in Tassie but not in Geelong...
Good use of this thread as a segue to your regular sook about Richmond not playing at Shell/Kardinia/Skilled/Simonds/Baytec Park.

I reckon if you tried hard enough mate you could reference this into a few other threads. Here's a few suggestions to get you on your way ...

In the 'Hawthorn three-peat?' thread, you could claim that if Richmond, Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood had played in Geelong, Hawthorn wouldn't have won any of those flags.

In the 'Would an alcohol ban at the footy stop you from going?' thread you could suggest that an alcohol ban would encourage more Richmond supporters to make the trip down the highway to Geelong, without having to worry about a drink-driving conviction.

In the 'Wearing that Cosby sweater' thread you could suggest that the last time we saw fashions like that was when we also regularly saw the big Melbourne clubs playing in Geelong.

Strange thread by the way. Yes a new record is likely.

So the club was meant to bank the increased revenue and maintain spendng at 2007-08 levels? Can you name any other team that has done that?
I just thought it was an interesting situation to be in with the stripping of the Ballarat region, rumoured Tassie academy and proposed seven game package down there. Sort of at the AFL's helm which is going to make it difficult to say no if the AFL tries to push the Kangas down there. Brayshaw seemed to be in favour of the seven Tassie game package in the past.

Back