Will the AFC lobby the AFL for a home game on ANZAC weekend?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoughts.

Seems KT thinks Port has earned the right for this one as well. Don't get too cocky mate. Your recent success has less to do with sound management and alot to do with handouts. What an arrogant little pr*ck this guy is.

PORT Adelaide has lobbied the AFL to continue to be handed a home fixture in Anzac round.

While hometown rival Adelaide has put its hand up to host an Anzac round fixture at Adelaide Oval, Power chief executive Keith Thomas described continuing its home Anzac round tradition — which is entering its 11th year — as its “No. 1 priority pick”.

“We have and we will lobby them (the AFL) again,” Thomas said as his team prepared for Sunday’s home blockbuster against unbeaten Geelong.

“We see it as being that important to us and we will be going in again this year with a major presentation about its significance and why the continuity for us is so important.”

In launching the 11th Peter Badcoe VC Medal, which will be presented to the best and bravest player at the Power-Cats clash, Thomas pointed out that Port has “a very long history with the RSL and this round”.

“This is the 11th consecutive year we’ve hosted a game in this round and we just feel the relationship we’ve managed to build with all of the armed forces and the work we are doing with them in terms of leadership, teamwork and discipline are just so important to our club and our community,” he said.

“The continuity of being able to present Anzac Day here in Adelaide has enabled us to build long term relationships with the RSL.

“So our commitment to Anzac Day and the Anzac round are something we cherish and want to maintain forever and a day.”

Sunday’s clash will be the first AFL Anzac round match at Adelaide Oval.

Thoughts.

Seems KT thinks Port has earned the right for this one as well. Don't get too cocky mate. Your recent success has less to do with sound management and alot to do with handouts. What an arrogant little pr*ck this guy is.

PORT Adelaide has lobbied the AFL to continue to be handed a home fixture in Anzac round.

While hometown rival Adelaide has put its hand up to host an Anzac round fixture at Adelaide Oval, Power chief executive Keith Thomas described continuing its home Anzac round tradition — which is entering its 11th year — as its “No. 1 priority pick”.

“We have and we will lobby them (the AFL) again,” Thomas said as his team prepared for Sunday’s home blockbuster against unbeaten Geelong.

“We see it as being that important to us and we will be going in again this year with a major presentation about its significance and why the continuity for us is so important.”

In launching the 11th Peter Badcoe VC Medal, which will be presented to the best and bravest player at the Power-Cats clash, Thomas pointed out that Port has “a very long history with the RSL and this round”.

“This is the 11th consecutive year we’ve hosted a game in this round and we just feel the relationship we’ve managed to build with all of the armed forces and the work we are doing with them in terms of leadership, teamwork and discipline are just so important to our club and our community,” he said.

“The continuity of being able to present Anzac Day here in Adelaide has enabled us to build long term relationships with the RSL.

“So our commitment to Anzac Day and the Anzac round are something we cherish and want to maintain forever and a day.”

Sunday’s clash will be the first AFL Anzac round match at Adelaide Oval.
I think they will lobby better and harder than we will unfortunately.

Let me begin by saying there is no one that holds the hate for the PAFC ( or whatever the hell they are now) deep within as I do.

With that said;

Port have very actively engaged with 7RAR and 1 BDE HQ (Adel) both based at Edinburgh.

To be fair to both AFC were contacted about a similar engagement and there was little interest.

Port attend at Edinburgh for boot camp week ends, give away free tickets to diggers, invitations to sit in the coaches box during games, address the players, invitations to board functions etc etc etc

The ladies of Port are also engaging with female soldiers as well.

My point is that KT and friends having been walking the talk and so what he says re ANZAC day week end rings true.

The reality is that the 19th man has just consigned the club to owners of Easter Sunday lunch time.

So yet again we dropped the ball. Given our administration we deserve number 2 billing in this state. Amateurs.

Not so much dropped as threw it away.

Port has worked very hard in relation to this area for some time, and by the sounds will continue to. .... and not just in relation to hosting the game.
To the point that it would be an injustice for them not to continue to host a game to tie in with the community (giving back) work being done.

Mike, if you read up on some of what ports doing behind the scenes in this area you may rethink your opening comment re arrogance and perhaps redirect it at those that want the gf game but not the giving back bit.

I hate to say it but if the Adelaide Football club want to embrace a timeslot/day, we have to make Monday night football our gig. I remember years ago when Friday night football was a poisoned chalice...the Kangas took it on and made it their own . This is what we have to do, we are rightly hated by the AFL admin at the moment, we are liars and thieves and we don't want to be at all accountable for our actions.

Being as that is...and it is a ****ed up joke...the only way we get back into the circle of trust is to start pushing a s**t cart uphill for the AFL. That shitcart is Monday night football, sure it won't be popular because Monday evening games would clash with bingo and knitting classes but we have to do something to get us back on the national stage before we start to become more of a joke than the club with chant classes.

We have no right to expect to gain a public holiday match at present ( particularly with our administration ) but we do have something there that we can embrace and work with. Make that work, make that timeslot a winner for the AFL ( which you can judge by the second Eddie wants all Collingwood games to be played in that slot), then we can stick our hand out. At the moment we have no right to put our hand up and if we do it out of spite or jealousy it only confirms our standing within the AFL. As a club, as a board, we need to be proactive and reinvent ourselves.

Probably not the right spot to put this but there was an empty soapbox...

I hate to say it but if the Adelaide Football club want to embrace a timeslot/day, we have to make Monday night football our gig. I remember years ago when Friday night football was a poisoned chalice...the Kangas took it on and made it their own . This is what we have to do, we are rightly hated by the AFL admin at the moment, we are liars and thieves and we don't want to be at all accountable for our actions.

Being as that is...and it is a ****** up joke...the only way we get back into the circle of trust is to start pushing a s**t cart uphill for the AFL. That shitcart is Monday night football, sure it won't be popular because Monday evening games would clash with bingo and knitting classes but we have to do something to get us back on the national stage before we start to become more of a joke than the club with chant classes.

We have no right to expect to gain a public holiday match at present ( particularly with our administration ) but we do have something there that we can embrace and work with. Make that work, make that timeslot a winner for the AFL ( which you can judge by the second Eddie wants all Collingwood games to be played in that slot), then we can stick our hand out. At the moment we have no right to put our hand up and if we do it out of spite or jealousy it only confirms our standing within the AFL. As a club, as a board, we need to be proactive and reinvent ourselves.

Probably not the right spot to put this but there was an empty soapbox...
I think that's a cracking post Jumbo. Be it Monday night or Easter Sunday night as suggested by Mattrox, do something lateral

Sounds like Port is doing a lot in this area, which is good for the community and who knows I am sure we are doing something similar with different groups, its impossible to say yes to everyone.

Hopefully both clubs get some bigger games in the future.

Perhaps all of the great work done by the Crows Foundation with children's charities makes us an obvious choice and great fit for Good Friday football. I am not sure what some Melbourne telethon, no matter how much good work they do, has to do with the rest of the league outside of Melbourne. I bet they wouldn't cancel a day of football if WA moved their Telethon from October or SA started one during footy season and if games are held out of Melbourne.

Good Friday Melbourne game with money to their Good Friday Appeal, SA game with money to Crows Foundation partners.

Our clubs always been closely linked with Childrens Charities and its something we could do very naturally without it looking forced or anything like that. I think they are up to about $200,000 a year now. Imagine a yearly sold out game with promotion, Footy Show call in type thing (Tex got 60k+ from that audience) and to get some coverage for corporate sponsors, donation tins all over the place at the game, I bet they could double that in no time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back