Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Lifes a Beach

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2009
Gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the change last year of GC running the programme and their willingness to select the best footballers, and the inception of the kicking test now mean that Browning will select the best footballers or will he revert back to the, who he thinks should be drafted because I found him not playing football theory.

With the change last year of GC running the programme and their willingness to select the best footballers, and the inception of the kicking test now mean that Browning will select the best footballers or will he revert back to the, who he thinks should be drafted because I found him not playing football theory.
What is this crap,are you some dud Browning spurned?

Surely his record speaks for itself.:D

Yea........I reckon there will be more Internationals soon in the State development squads to up the profile in other countries..........hopefully our home grown boys that get the opportunity to play give them a run for there money and line em up (legally) in the State comps. Is it true there will be an International side competing in this yrs National U16 comp??? umm I can see where the talent scouts will get directed from above to look...........fyi an U15 boy got selected this yr from the U15 school boys nationals as an all australian because he used to play AFL swithed to rugby and still really undecided........what a great way to give this lad encouragement ahead of some who may possibly have deserved the recognition.............so yea I see where you are coming from with picking and chosing

Well the selections are in and the answer is..... NO.

Saw most of the championships, what a poor format for an elite competition, embarrasing for Qld actually. To the two boys who absolutely dominated their early final for the raiders & stingrays one from each team you both can play, hang in there this mob shuffled the team several times and eventually overlooked Sam Gilbert in 2004.

So just keep working on your footy, the agendas start to finish as you head into senior football.

Saw 3 earlier games but missed the finals. For the Raiders squad to get piped by a few points in there 2 earlier games, I wonder if the selections would have been different in there favour if they scraped over the line..........somehow I doupt it. They know who they want, and where they are from to develop the game up Nth and Sth. Agree though keep at it and learn from the mistakes you may have made and get better.
16s are still to come so we shall see how academy/scholorship/rookie search Vs the rest pan out in there final squad selection. I could probably name the 16 squad now give or take a few........if I had the total academy squad in front of me

Thought I would put the result up. Someone must have forgotten on the AFLQ website.

Geelong Falcons 8 17 65

Queensland 4 9 33

Lucky the falcons had some guns away on school commitments. Hear they were too agile quick and skilfull.

WA 21.25.151
QLD 4.6.30

Now that is a scoreline for all AFL Queenslanders to be proud of.....

I'd say lucky they were off target. Oh and rest my case your honour.

Re: Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WA 21.25.151
QLD 4.6.30

Now that is a scoreline for all AFL Queenslanders to be proud of.....

I'd say lucky they were off target. Oh and rest my case your honour.

What players missed out that should have been in the WA hiding??
Given there a Div 1 side and have a greater pool of players to choose form i would think the score would much the same each year.

After the State Championships the coach of the Qld Under 18's spoke to the family of a player who did not make the side and said the player in question played well enough to make the Qld squad but was not selected because he was in his opinion "undraftable" but not to worry because the player was very talented and would have decorated QAFL career.( Not a difficult call when you know who the family is)

The captain of this players state league club come to him at the first training session after the championships and told him he had been "stitched up".

The family will not be happy that I have mentioned this publicly.

Result of this attitude:

NSW/ACT 3-7 6-11 10-18 15-21 (111)
Queensland 1-2 3-3 5-4 5-7 (37)

J Pod (Geelong) is a great example of not giving up if you love something. Dan Dikfos is another player who got his go in AFL......25 or 26 I think.
Not a bad way of shattering a kids expectations though, very talented but.......So how about working as much as possible with the kids available(very talented) instead of all the Rookies(with potential)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the State Championships the coach of the Qld Under 18's spoke to the family of a player who did not make the side and said the player in question played well enough to make the Qld squad but was not selected because he was in his opinion "undraftable" but not to worry because the player was very talented and would have decorated QAFL career.( Not a difficult call when you know who the family is)

The captain of this players state league club come to him at the first training session after the championships and told him he had been "stitched up".

Result of this attitude:

I reckon Sam Gilbert,John Williams, Rohan Bail all never played U18 state footy but have made their way to AFL Clubs form the QLD U21
If he can play, its heads up and arse down and keep playing well and he may get an oppotutunity like the above.
I think the AFLQ get caught between a rock and a hard place given that the AFL are wanting players that are draftable and there in the futures market.Not to mention the are paying the devlopment staff etc.
I noticed that a couple kids that play ok didnt get picked at my boys U14 level in the Western region but some new boys with more athletic ability,size etc where picked although not as good as boys leftout.Much the same as above .
I see on the website this morning that they have made quite a few changes at the U18 level.Maybe this boy has been included.
i guess they are looking down the track withthese selecyions but the up coming carnival will tell.

Result of this attitude:

Sad to read this as all players who play well enough at the championships should get a go, its not as if we are over run with draftable talent at the moment, I would have thought that all players who played in the Qld Championships would be given a second thought after Qld being 4 - zip currently, the selectors have now panicked by bringing in players with current State League experience (where were they at round 1) and others that have already got international rookie contracts with AFL Clubs, it seems that opinions, rather than winning form again of players who the selectors think will do the job and after one game of showing nothing at Qld Level are still then kept in the program at expense of others who dont get the opportunity, all players should use their opportunity when they get it, as in the past we have given our selected players time to get used to the experiance there is only 6 games per year, if playing for your state is not a big enough carrott to perform when given that chance then nothing is, maybe another year of not winning a game at the national championships will wake a few people up and also show the players of the future what is required to be part of a winning culture.

"said the player in question played well enough to make the Qld squad but was not selected because he was in his opinion "undraftable" but not to worry because the player was very talented and would have decorated QAFL career."

It seems that the GC Suns via their academy were wanting to know where this player I mentioned went to after the the State championships,( it seems they were more interested than Qld under 18's) so as to pursue him for the academy this year.Unfortunately he moves into senior ranks, will get a chance to show his stuff at the right club.

The good news here is that the talent search suddenly has improved immediately and look forward to much better results to come for Qld footy in the future.

Interesting times.

Given there has been a complete revamp of the Qld representative under 18 program for next year, and screening days have been conducted in various sites over the last few weeks, it will be interesting to see the list of 80 - 85 players selected in the initial training squad, which should be named in the next week. (training due to start Nov 8).

The academies are a bit more of a mystery - after their initial announcement at the end of last year not much has been said this year about exactly how they are going to run. However what has been said has been positive, especially the idea of different levels with reselection each year, avoiding the previous criticisms of a squad being selected when boys were 13 or 14 and changed very little over time, making it difficult for players not selected initially to get an opportunity to experience the program, no matter how they developed over the next couple of years. So we await the naming of the new squads, which will presumably be very soon (as the last comments released stated that the Lions Academy squads at least were to be announced mid October)

They definately dont give to much away with the limited information that gets published thatys for sure. From what I have heard the selected Northern area boys will do there skills training at Aspley on the wed.......havent heard who will be coaching the skills training sessions on the Nth, Sth, or Gold Coast areas. Interesting reading what Aspley are advertising on there web site, they are saying In conjunction with the AFLQ academy they will also be sending individual invites out to kids from other clubs in there region to train. So if this is right there will be the selected Academy kids plus fringe players invited by Aspley(why have a cut at all if Aspley send invites).........makes me wonder if it should really have been at a neutral ground as with the GC and the Sth side boys. Ive also heard that the Strength and Conditioning session is at a commercial/public gym, havent heard if these selected boys will get individually tailored packages or one drill fits all. Hopefully each boy gets his own full body assesment by qualified people and not just someone who sat a Personal trainers 5 day course to get a ticket. Give them there dues though they are trying a different approach, weather they get it right this year or the next at least they are trying. One concern I have is there are still players not in the academy selection process that should be, and theres probably some there that shouldnt be......but thats there jobs and I think AFLQ staff has the best interest of Qld footy at heart....so lets hope the footy improves and as many kids can benifit as possible

They definately dont give to much away with the limited information that gets published thatys for sure.Give them there dues though they are trying a different approach, weather they get it right this year or the next at least they are trying. One concern I have is there are still players not in the academy selection process that should be, and theres probably some there that shouldnt be......but thats there jobs and I think AFLQ staff has the best interest of Qld footy at heart....so lets hope the footy improves and as many kids can benifit as possible

The control of information reminds me of certain regimes from the last century.We need open and frank honesty, but I fear until the people controlling the system change, the system won't.I am not sure all AFLQ staff have Qld footy in front of their own interests,but there are a majority that do, its up to people on the ground to keep the pressure on to make sure that mediocrity is not acceptable.The current changes have only come about because people have been prepared to question and this must continue until real results begin to occur.There must be accountability.

The acadamies are bringing fresh qualified people to the system this is why initial change is happening.

I would love to see the U18s adopt the same policy that worked this year for the U16s...........ex AFL players as young assistant coaches.......pretty cool guys I heard that related well to the youth of this generation.

Certainly the coaching staff for the QLD under 16 team this year were felt to be very good.As I understand it Pat Garner, one of the assistants, will be involved with the under 18 team next year - was assisting with the Brisbane screening session recently and introduced as an assistant for next years team.

How good is that.........having Pat Garner on board with the 18s.........hopefully the boys involved will have plenty of access to him and the other assistants during the summer training. Surely its not just about strength and conditioning but also creating bonds and mateships that will get the best out of this new system. Sure hope it all works for the AFLQ and players that are lucky enough to be involved.
Have heard stories from a few Lions Academy boys from when they were in as selected 14s.........a total waste of time and of no value. From my limited knowledge of the Academies workings, and there limited amount of there own workings available to the public, I do however have plenty of knowledge regarding teenage boys.........16 would be a better age to introduce them to a real academy, by this time maturity is setting in well, and play time is almost finished. 13 and 14 yr old kids still want to have fun and muck around, and have an attention span of about 2 mins if there lucky. So it would be hard to judge kids on attitude etc that can have a cross marked through there names because there still being kids, and sometimes dont toe the line as expected by authority. How many times have we seen the child star at 12, 13 and 14 that ticks all the boxes, gets all this Academy attention then finally succumb to others maturing around him then get over taken..........
maybe to much attention is spent on some, and not enough on others??

Friday, 5 November, 2010

Six members of the preliminary 2011 Queensland U18 squad have been invited to do pre-season training with the Gold Coast Suns as the selection process for the 2011 Australia Post Scorpions jumps into full swing.

Former AFL/AIS squad member Jackson Allen, current AFL/AIS squad members Sam Michael and Alex Sexton, plus Peter Yagmoor, Aaron Laskey and Fraser Eaton will train with the Suns from 22 November through until the end of February before linking with the Scorpions program.

For Michael, Yagmoor and Laskey it will be a forerunner to their second State U18 campaign, having played with the side this year, while it will be a first for Allen after he missed the 2010 Scorpions program due to injury.

Sexton will step up from the Young Scorpions U16 program after winning the Division Two B&F Medal at the Australian Championships this year, while Eaton is a Rookie Search product from Cairns who will get his first taste of elite football after he missed the U16 campaign this year through injury.

The six Suns invitees have been excluded from preliminary squads announced today following an exhaustive testing/screening program undertaken across Queensland in October.

A further 76 players, split into three squads and covering the Gold Coast, Brisbane North and Brisbane South regions, have been invited to undertake stage one of the Scorpions’ pre-season program.

All members of the 2010 Young Scorpions (U16) side were automatically included, while eight members of the 2010 Scorpions (U18) side have been included again.

The returning members of the U18 squad are the Jackson Rolfe, Josh Kolka, Wyatt Bacon, Dalton Tucker and Tom Fields from the Gold Coast, Rhys Tagell and Chris Wittkopp from Brisbane South, and Jack James from Brisbane North.

The three training squads, as announced by AFL Queensland State Talent Manager Bob Batty, are:-

Gold Coast: Jackson Rolfe, Fraser Thurlow, Josh Kolka, Wyatt Bacon, Dalton Tucker, Jack Watmuff, Ryan Maetam, Ryder Court, Jamie Skennar, Andrew Boston, Josh Bull, Keiron Brennan, Tom Davidson, Brody Haberfield, Daniel Van DeWerken, Zak Davies, Michael Forsdyke, Nathan Sharp, Tom Fields, Will Wolbers, Ty Fankhauser, Jake Jones.

Brisbane South: Lachlan Woods- Honour, Chris Murphy, Tim Colburn, Daniel Frame, Nathan Newcastle, Hayden Thick, Alex Dickfos, Jordan Bain, Craig Malone, Jesse Wallin, Ryan Johnson, Nick Davidson, Ambrose Killian, Jim Wallis, Lachlan Russ, Kyle Goodman, Tyrone Brimble, Clay Cameron, Jordan Bourke, Jock Oates, Michael Wyld, Brian Coleman- Broome, Rhys Tagell, Chris Wittkopp, Alex Hall, Nick Upton, Josh Smith, Matthew Waltisbuhl, Sam Adams.

Brisbane North: Jack James, Fraser Thompson, Spencer Greville, Dominic Smith, Luke Reynolds, Sam Henry, Jack Guest, James Ives, Luke Glastonbury, Tom Overington, Daniel Daye, Josh Wagner, Brock Paulke, Daniel Brown, Shaun Crook, Curtis Ricker, Alex Walker, Sam Panoho, Jonno Freeman, Darcy Burns, Alir Alir, Patrick Nandy, Seth Turner, Harry Wilson, Nick Lancaster, Sam Cabrera.

Further to these players, Rory Pope and Sam Daff from Bundaberg/Wide Bay have been identified as contenders for the Brisbane North squad. They will train within their own region over summer before a final decision is made.

Likewise, 19 possible additions to the Gold Coast squad from North Queensland – Andrew Brown, Luke Chitty, Damien Dewis-Trackson, Jermaine Wardle, Evan Magnus (Cairns), Leigh Cossens, Daniel Hunt, Luke Lambart, Cameron O’Grady, Darcy Payne (Capricornia), Nathan Billingham, Tyler Jones, Hayden Lang, Kurt Scown, Nabako Stow, Brodie Tebutt (Mackay) and Henry Joyce, John Macanash and James Markham ( Townsville).

Batty advises that training commences for all three groups next Wednesday, 10 November.

An orientation session for the Brisbane North and Brisbane South groups will be held at Aspley Football Club, Graham Road, commencing at 5.30 pm.

The orientation for the Gold Coast group will commence at 5pm at the Gold Coast Suns’ Carrara headquarters.

There will be three training sessions per week through phase one of the pre-season – two strength and conditioning sessions and one skills training session.

For further information, please contact Bob Batty on (0403) 344382 or email bbatty@aflq.com.au

The grouping of selection candidates under Gold Coast, Brisbane North and Brisbane South is part of a new-look program that will streamline the Scorpions’ preparation.

Gone are the regional-based teams known for so long as the Northern Raiders, South-East Bushrangers, Western Taipans, Gold Coast Stingrays, Suncoast Power and Country Kookaburras.

These regional sides will now finish at U16 level following the abandonment of the State U18 Championships.

In their place at U18 level will be program built around the AFL’s new-look Academy program under which all players will either be aligned to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast/Country.

The Brisbane/Sunshine Coast division stretches to Bundaberg, with players from Rockhampton north falling into the Gold Coast/Country section.

This is a forerunner to a system where, in time, the Brisbane Lions and the Gold Coast Suns will have first call on players from their respective zones.

SO
What happens to the boys that didnt make this list from the recent screening day...........

Friday, 5 November, 2010

Six members of the preliminary 2011 Queensland U18 squad have been invited to do pre-season training with the Gold Coast Suns as the selection process for the 2011 Australia Post Scorpions jumps into full swing.

Former AFL/AIS squad member Jackson Allen, current AFL/AIS squad members Sam Michael and Alex Sexton, plus Peter Yagmoor, Aaron Laskey and Fraser Eaton will train with the Suns from 22 November through until the end of February before linking with the Scorpions program.

For Michael, Yagmoor and Laskey it will be a forerunner to their second State U18 campaign, having played with the side this year, while it will be a first for Allen after he missed the 2010 Scorpions program due to injury.

Sexton will step up from the Young Scorpions U16 program after winning the Division Two B&F Medal at the Australian Championships this year, while Eaton is a Rookie Search product from Cairns who will get his first taste of elite football after he missed the U16 campaign this year through injury.

The six Suns invitees have been excluded from preliminary squads announced today following an exhaustive testing/screening program undertaken across Queensland in October.

A further 76 players, split into three squads and covering the Gold Coast, Brisbane North and Brisbane South regions, have been invited to undertake stage one of the Scorpions’ pre-season program.

All members of the 2010 Young Scorpions (U16) side were automatically included, while eight members of the 2010 Scorpions (U18) side have been included again.

The returning members of the U18 squad are the Jackson Rolfe, Josh Kolka, Wyatt Bacon, Dalton Tucker and Tom Fields from the Gold Coast, Rhys Tagell and Chris Wittkopp from Brisbane South, and Jack James from Brisbane North.

The three training squads, as announced by AFL Queensland State Talent Manager Bob Batty, are:-

Gold Coast: Jackson Rolfe, Fraser Thurlow, Josh Kolka, Wyatt Bacon, Dalton Tucker, Jack Watmuff, Ryan Maetam, Ryder Court, Jamie Skennar, Andrew Boston, Josh Bull, Keiron Brennan, Tom Davidson, Brody Haberfield, Daniel Van DeWerken, Zak Davies, Michael Forsdyke, Nathan Sharp, Tom Fields, Will Wolbers, Ty Fankhauser, Jake Jones.

Brisbane South: Lachlan Woods- Honour, Chris Murphy, Tim Colburn, Daniel Frame, Nathan Newcastle, Hayden Thick, Alex Dickfos, Jordan Bain, Craig Malone, Jesse Wallin, Ryan Johnson, Nick Davidson, Ambrose Killian, Jim Wallis, Lachlan Russ, Kyle Goodman, Tyrone Brimble, Clay Cameron, Jordan Bourke, Jock Oates, Michael Wyld, Brian Coleman- Broome, Rhys Tagell, Chris Wittkopp, Alex Hall, Nick Upton, Josh Smith, Matthew Waltisbuhl, Sam Adams.

Brisbane North: Jack James, Fraser Thompson, Spencer Greville, Dominic Smith, Luke Reynolds, Sam Henry, Jack Guest, James Ives, Luke Glastonbury, Tom Overington, Daniel Daye, Josh Wagner, Brock Paulke, Daniel Brown, Shaun Crook, Curtis Ricker, Alex Walker, Sam Panoho, Jonno Freeman, Darcy Burns, Alir Alir, Patrick Nandy, Seth Turner, Harry Wilson, Nick Lancaster, Sam Cabrera.

Further to these players, Rory Pope and Sam Daff from Bundaberg/Wide Bay have been identified as contenders for the Brisbane North squad. They will train within their own region over summer before a final decision is made.

Likewise, 19 possible additions to the Gold Coast squad from North Queensland – Andrew Brown, Luke Chitty, Damien Dewis-Trackson, Jermaine Wardle, Evan Magnus (Cairns), Leigh Cossens, Daniel Hunt, Luke Lambart, Cameron O’Grady, Darcy Payne (Capricornia), Nathan Billingham, Tyler Jones, Hayden Lang, Kurt Scown, Nabako Stow, Brodie Tebutt (Mackay) and Henry Joyce, John Macanash and James Markham ( Townsville).

Batty advises that training commences for all three groups next Wednesday, 10 November.

An orientation session for the Brisbane North and Brisbane South groups will be held at Aspley Football Club, Graham Road, commencing at 5.30 pm.

The orientation for the Gold Coast group will commence at 5pm at the Gold Coast Suns’ Carrara headquarters.

There will be three training sessions per week through phase one of the pre-season – two strength and conditioning sessions and one skills training session.

For further information, please contact Bob Batty on (0403) 344382 or email bbatty@aflq.com.au

The grouping of selection candidates under Gold Coast, Brisbane North and Brisbane South is part of a new-look program that will streamline the Scorpions’ preparation.

Gone are the regional-based teams known for so long as the Northern Raiders, South-East Bushrangers, Western Taipans, Gold Coast Stingrays, Suncoast Power and Country Kookaburras.

These regional sides will now finish at U16 level following the abandonment of the State U18 Championships.

In their place at U18 level will be program built around the AFL’s new-look Academy program under which all players will either be aligned to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast/Country.

The Brisbane/Sunshine Coast division stretches to Bundaberg, with players from Rockhampton north falling into the Gold Coast/Country section.

This is a forerunner to a system where, in time, the Brisbane Lions and the Gold Coast Suns will have first call on players from their respective zones.

SO
What happens to the boys that didnt make this list from the recent screening day...........

Can someone please explain to me, how come we have players who are born in 1992 are being selected to participate in the under 18 competition this year, 1992 means under 19?, I understand that rookie players and the Northern Territory team (due to their numbers) may get this privledge, but doesent under 18 mean under 18. Qld have been playing a sprinkling of these older age players for some time and in that time we have not won one game - I seem to remember 4 of these players playing for the GC-17 in the TAC Cup (where they made the finals) and in the National Championships (where they did not win 1 game) 3 of which are now listed AFL players with the Suns Dixon, Smith and Daye, I am sure that if a lot more players had a posible three years to get used to the tempo of this brand of footy and then impress then we may have a few more get to play at the top level - this selection policy sends a message (in my humble opinion) that we are either not good enough to play with the rest of the states on an age basis or some players are given a little more oportunity than others to produce the goods - after all opportunity is the key in all things in sport and also in life in general - if you dont get it (oportunity), then you will just never get it (the riches that it could bring).

Can someone please explain to me, how come we have players who are born in 1992 are being selected to participate in the under 18 competition this year, 1992 means under 19?, I understand that rookie players and the Northern Territory team (due to their numbers) may get this privledge, but doesent under 18 mean under 18. Qld have been playing a sprinkling of these older age players for some time and in that time we have not won one game - I seem to remember 4 of these players playing for the GC-17 in the TAC Cup (where they made the finals) and in the National Championships (where they did not win 1 game) 3 of which are now listed AFL players with the Suns Dixon, Smith and Daye, I am sure that if a lot more players had a posible three years to get used to the tempo of this brand of footy and then impress then we may have a few more get to play at the top level - this selection policy sends a message (in my humble opinion) that we are either not good enough to play with the rest of the states on an age basis or some players are given a little more oportunity than others to produce the goods - after all opportunity is the key in all things in sport and also in life in general - if you dont get it (oportunity), then you will just never get it (the riches that it could bring).

Surely once you have hit 19 these days with the amount of recruitment scruteny placed on juniors from AFL clubs, you have not made the grade. Lets look at the draft where the future players lie, and it is almost impossible for a Vic, Sa, Wa kid over 17/18 to be drafted, as most clubs these days know who and what they are after. Surely an extra year in the state system for an over age QLD player is going to have no real affect, other than take the spot of a hopeful 17 year old who may benefit more from an extra year in the eye of recruiters, before he turns 18? It's the State 18's for godsake, the recruitment is that good these days if an 18 year old has AFL potential, they will realise it on their own, not need to see them play for another year in an 18's comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back