Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

10 from my count including Allir who played in the Pacific Side. Once again a selected side formed around 1 or 2 players for draft selection. That U16 side would have given it a good crack this year but unfortunately a few hard nut quality players that have a strong personality, and a different view on the system have been dropped. Will again be interesting to see if Brownings influence on the side has developed more seagulls.
To be fair there are always quite a few different players in the state 18's compared to the 16's group 2 years before - some boys drop off, some loose interest in AFL, others mature later etc, and there are likely to be more bottom agers at 18

From what I hear currently 31 training - looking back at past lists 17 of those were in the squad of 30 for 16's 2 years (couple didnt play in final 25 - eg Cameron because of OP who would have been in, and Aliir in other team, and maybe one or two others). 5 are underagers - all in state 16's last year. 6 overagers - 3 in state 16's in 2009 but missed 18's last year because of injury (Bain, Wallin and Hall), and 1 played in 16's in 2010 as overage rookie. So in the end only a handfull of new faces.

I guess if there are others around who are not in squad currently may still get drafted into squad like Brown did couple of weeks ago - which others are performing well in local comps who you think should be in squad?

Sounds like the right players were selected Brisvegas... Not sure of the logic of believing that the U-16's side from 2 yrs ago that played in the mickey mouse carnival (Div 2) would have done better - kids grow, others move to the area, others drop off. Its why it is called development.
Well done to the squad an esp Tickner, a sunny coast lad. He is a very good player.

Great win by the Qld boys over WA yesterday, real 4 quarter effort apparently with Tickner kicking 4, Ives, Gribble, Power & Conway doing well in midfield & Wyld, Johnson and Rutledge holding WA forwards in check to help seal the win!!! Still got Wagner, Cameron & maybe 1-2 others to play in coming weeks so lets hope they can win a couple more...!

What evidence do you have for this Brisvegas - have Qld EVER beaten Victoria(who is split in 2 mind you), Sth Aust or WA at U18 level or even 16's when they get the chance to play them? They are miles off the pace of any of these states and we are kidding ourselves if we don't believe this. We play the odd TAC side and are competitive - thats no great feat.

I'm sorry I used the term B-grade - wasn't meant to be derogatory but not sure how else you put it. Bottom line is, the best athletes don't automatically gravitate to AFL footy in Qld bc of the competition with other codes which southern states don't have to contend with. Hence we recruit them thru talent ID programs etc.
For a state that has this situation i actually think we compete above our weight division most of the time although recent 18's champs have been disappointing.

Changed your mind Smy1305.

Yep - fair comment LAB, but I seem to remember that you were very critical of the selectors and the criteria they used for selecting players.... Have you changed your mind??
In any case I did say earlier in this thread that this year was going to be the year that Qld put out their most competitive team for a while based on the last 3 years results. This years 17's won the 16's State title albeit Div 2 last year and 3 years ago this age knocked over Vic Metro at the 15's schoolboys. Think there possibly could be 2-5 boys drafted legitimately and not just provided a token spot with the Lions or Suns this year.
From what I was told Tickner's goal to put them in front was 45m out, tight angle, heavy ball - that is a fair effort if true.

Yep - fair comment LAB, but I seem to remember that you were very critical of the selectors and the criteria they used for selecting players.... Have you changed your mind??
In any case I did say earlier in this thread that this year was going to be the year that Qld put out their most competitive team for a while based on the last 3 years results. This years 17's won the 16's State title albeit Div 2 last year and 3 years ago this age knocked over Vic Metro at the 15's schoolboys. Think there possibly could be 2-5 boys drafted legitimately and not just provided a token spot with the Lions or Suns this year.
From what I was told Tickner's goal to put them in front was 45m out, tight angle, heavy ball - that is a fair effort if true.

Absolutely, was extemely critical of the whole program.My observations are that changes have been made with the acadamies, coaching and selection.So the results have improved, are more changes needed or have all the problems been corrected these days I am not close enough to voice an opinion.But my passionate crusade was based upon the fact this state could do far better and it has now shown what was always possible credit to those that have made the changes.I have also noticed a change of attitude across the pathway programs so credit to all there as well.

Not sure about this mate - same ppl at the top of the programs as 3 yrs ago (Lions Academy anyway), Browning still heavily involved, no ex AFL players (of note) on coaching staff, same criteria for selection based on athletes certainly still in the mix but i think the significant difference is this year there is a higher quality of true footballer than past years. Think the 15's schoolboys is a reasonable yardstick bc the kids play the best states at this comp, the 16's provide a measure of sorts in Div 2 comp and from where I stand i think you can get a line as to where they might be in 2 years post this. Obviously a pretty rough guide but it does seem to have some correlation and this group were standouts 3 years ago. (didn't win the national title but were very good all the same).

My original opinion that we are miles behind the football states is still that but as we attract more boys across from the rugby codes in particular that have a better body shape for our game than RL or RU we will close the gap. To my mind its all about having as many of the highest quality athletes at an earlier age. At this point we still loose the majority to RL in particular, they often don't make it bc they become long and lean and by the time they realise this it is too late to come across.

Anyway i think we both agree with each other that it is fantastic for the boys to win their first game against quality opposition and stands them in good stead going forward anyway.

Back to reality....:(
having a look at the results Vic country brought in 8 AIS kids that didnt play against NSW, i reckon the QLD boys just couldnt come up again there results so far smash the last 3 years which is combination of good coaching staff and players. Hope they beat tassie!

Always going to be tough going up against essentially a full strength Vic Country this week. Playing interstate 3rd week in a row, each time on wet / heavy ground, wouldn't have helped either. Hopefully with a couple of week break before next game at home boys will get a chance to get over any niggles etc and squad will be competitive against Tas.

Not really an ideal draw for Qld boys,who presumably are mainly at school/uni or working, to travel 3 weeks in a row playing Div 1 teams last 2 weeks. Most boys presumably playing every game they are fit for as squad in Qld not going to have the depth to allow coaches to rotate many players week to week like the Div 1 teams have done for first couple of games

Would be nice for Qld team to have more than 1 of 5 games at home to allow them to perform at their best, but I guess in practice the under 18 championships is more about showcasing the best individuals, who in reality come mainly from Div 1 states, to the recruiters, the majority of who will come from Vic and the other main afl states

Yep true Footymaad - it is a tough draw but always a healthy dose of reality too for our lads. Victoria could choose 5-6 teams that would be more than competitive at this carnival and not just 2. I think as long as we have a few boys drafted every so often but more importantly blokes going on to play 50+ games we are going alright. Lets just not pretend we are even in the class of the footy states. I know Tickner just got put on one of those 2 yr "contracts" with the Lions which preclude him from going anywhere else unless the Lions don't pick him up. Thats good for him and i'm sure there will be others in due course too.
Still reckon the majority of Qld kids are in the "mature age recruit" category - they are 1-3 years behind some of the other states with their footy maturity and it is no surprise to see guys like Zorko and Spurr get picked up after playing good senior footy in State comps. My advice would be to any Qld boy who wants to make it is to stick at it post 18's basically.

Have to agree with all of that. Apart from occasional Qld under 18 standout who may figure in main draft (or rookie draft) suspect for the other borderline possibilities clubs likely to just watch them in NEAFL (or other league if they choose to move) for year or two, and if they continue to develop, consider them then as per recent examples. Suspect boys like Fields and Starcevich, who went to state screening last year, fall into that category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree with all of that. Apart from occasional Qld under 18 standout who may figure in main draft (or rookie draft) suspect for the other borderline possibilities clubs likely to just watch them in NEAFL (or other league if they choose to move) for year or two, and if they continue to develop, consider them then as per recent examples. Suspect boys like Fields and Starcevich, who went to state screening last year, fall into that category.
Bottom line is I think is that the 18's in SA and WA play in their State comps which is a lot better than ours - you compete at that level recruiters notice. At NEAFL level I think they would want you to be a very very good player. Obviously the TAC is also given a lot of credibility (as it should be) in the recruiting stakes as well. Like you said there will be the odd kid who jumps out of the box like a Riewoldt or Armitage but otherwise Qld boys will have to earn their stripes kicking ass at senior level for a while. Don't think it matters greatly - you can still make a career out of it from age 21!!:)

To be fair there are always quite a few different players in the state 18's compared to the 16's group 2 years before - some boys drop off, some loose interest in AFL, others mature later etc, and there are likely to be more bottom agers at 18

From what I hear currently 31 training - looking back at past lists 17 of those were in the squad of 30 for 16's 2 years (couple didnt play in final 25 - eg Cameron because of OP who would have been in, and Aliir in other team, and maybe one or two others). 5 are underagers - all in state 16's last year. 6 overagers - 3 in state 16's in 2009 but missed 18's last year because of injury (Bain, Wallin and Hall), and 1 played in 16's in 2010 as overage rookie. So in the end only a handfull of new faces.

I guess if there are others around who are not in squad currently may still get drafted into squad like Brown did couple of weeks ago - which others are performing well in local comps who you think should be in squad?
well one for sure i think is shaun crook at aspley whats happened there , see he"s been doing well at neafl reserves by all reports and played quite well last week for his first senior game this year, was a bright prospect i thought watching him the last few years anyone put some light on this one

well one for sure i think is shaun crook at aspley whats happened there , see he"s been doing well at neafl reserves by all reports and played quite well last week for his first senior game this year, was a bright prospect i thought watching him the last few years anyone put some light on this one

Shaun said to say thanks Dad.

Good win in Melbourne Sat vrs NT who were favorites for Div 2. Overall would have to say the program has been a success this year? - lost first TAC cup game which was first time final team had played together, then won second game in Melbourne, beat WA, lost to Vic Country, lost narrowly to Tas (probably the most disappointing result as no doubt had the opportunities to win) and then beaten NT who have been going well. One to go against NSW/ACT in cold, wetand windy Geelong.
Would think the best overall result for a few years - seemingly without clear standouts but by all in team playing their roles. Hope the 16's can continue on in similar fashion in their carnival next week.

I think they would be really disappointed with the loss to Tassie as NT were the ones to beat and they did this. Good to see. Will be interesting come draft time but like most kids in Qld, their time will come over the next 2 years or even more probably if they stick at it post the carnival.

its a bit quiet on here at the moment where have all the people gone that were bagging some coaching appointments and selection process not long ago. From the outside the team looked to be picked on ability,potential and desire to represent the state and not take a QLD jumper for granted!!!
pretty good results this year wouldve been fantastic to win outright but some inaccurate goal kicking against Tassie cost the boys. history breaking win against WA will go down as the highlight i would think as well as Boston being named all Australian!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back