Will the Giants land a big fish in 2014/15?

Will the Giants land a big free agent in 2014/15?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • No, they have enough talent.

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There have been a number of cases of players forcing moves to make more money - the most notable one is probably our new ruckman, when he a million bucks over three years made him decide he really, really wanted to be a Sydney Swan.

You're not talking about Mumford are you? He left Geelong because they were picking Blake ahead of him as the #1 ruck. The Sydney money was okay (not exorbitant - $330 a year vs the average AFL wage of $230K - an average dragged down by rookies and junior players) but highly unlikely he would have taken it if he'd been first choice at the Cats (who would have paid him equal or better money).

You're not talking about Mumford are you? He left Geelong because they were picking Blake ahead of him as the #1 ruck. The Sydney money was okay (not exorbitant - $330 a year vs the average AFL wage of $230K - an average dragged down by rookies and junior players) but highly unlikely he would have taken it if he'd been first choice at the Cats (who would have paid him equal or better money).

I am, and it was about the money.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...eelong-for-swans/story-e6frf9jf-1225784562284

No, it wasn't.

"who would have paid him equal or better money"

But they didnt.

He's a professional. It was about the money.

Same reason he signed with us, really.

And Im fine with mercenaries, as long as they play hard for us for every minute of their contract.

love the pic

talking about recruiting big fish (the equivalent of Paul Salmon would be nice)
theres an article in the AFL site about a new moneyball formula called the wins against replacements (WAR)
meant to measure how many extra wins a recruit is likely to give you per season
Del Santo has a WAR of 1.24
Shaw has a WAR of 0.88
mummy has a WAR of 0.78
so we can expect two extra wins from them alone
add a couple of wins from natural improvement
one upset
jag another
that's seven wins for the season

Can't wait for the we had too many concessions excuses when we start winning games. The minidraft got gold coast o'meara and Martin and we got WHE and JOR. That doesn't look like the premiership on a platter.

talking about recruiting big fish (the equivalent of Paul Salmon would be nice)
theres an article in the AFL site about a new moneyball formula called the wins against replacements (WAR)
meant to measure how many extra wins a recruit is likely to give you per season

While Im a big believer in analytics, the problem with team games is what measurements are important - baseball is easy. Everything thats good for a player's stats is good for his team.

But when is the right decision to protect the football and take the tackle, rather than try the risky pass ?

I'm also interested how they're measuring the impact of taggers - the key example is probably Shane Battier in the NBA, who despite getting nothing on his box score made every team he played for better, by always being in the right place to deny the opposition the easy play.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-of-fame-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226856146485

West Coast has sought assurances from Greater Western Sydney it is not interested in Naitanui.

Instead, the newest expansion club is focusing on landing a key backman and re-contracting its batch of fledgling youngsters.

Which is precisely what we need to do, address a clear weakness which will likely cost us trading away someone like o'rourke unless in the unlikely event we got Frawley as an unrestricted free agent, and of course we need to lock away our gun kids a.s.a.p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-of-fame-in-2014/story-fni5f22o-1226856146485

Which is precisely what we need to do, address a clear weakness which will likely cost us trading away someone like o'rourke unless in the unlikely event we got Frawley as an unrestricted free agent, and of course we need to lock away our gun kids a.s.a.p

That description just makes me immediately think we'll be throwing a lot at Frawley. Since we didn't toss the world at the likes of Carlisle last year, we can at least assume we'd only bring them in if they're worth it.

Tbh I'd rather take a player that is 1-2 years from retirement as a stop gap till our own boys can do the job. Don't want to loose a talented young player for the sake of frawleywho is great but won't be there for our flag tilt.

Someone like glass would be perfect

Tbh I'd rather take a player that is 1-2 years from retirement as a stop gap till our own boys can do the job. Don't want to loose a talented young player for the sake of frawleywho is great but won't be there for our flag tilt.

Frawley's only 26 IIRC. He'll be there for our flag tilt - a good KPD can play into their 30s, easily.

Frawley is a good player but I wouldn't want to loose frost, plowman, corr, McCarthy or jaksch for his sake

We're going to lose two or more of them IMO anyway. :( There's only going to be so many spots to go around.

Frawley would be 26 next year so would think he would still be there when we are pushing for a flag. But if we do go for that veteran player which may be the case given we chased Scarlett last year, then won't be surprised if we have a look at LRT who is also unrestricted free agent.

The only one you'd have a real good crack at is Fyfe and that is just because he is a champion and unique player. We are probably the only team that could tempt him away as he is a WA country boy. Not really fussed on anybody else as our talent base is better than anybody and its only a matter of time before we dominate.

Probably not the worst thread to re-visit right now. We've seen Shaw and Mumford have been good inclusions for the Giants this year but neither would be considered a big fish. Is this the path the Giants should go down? Continue to acquire quality players but not superstars? We've seen what an Ablett injury has done to the Gold Coast so perhaps a spread of talent is the better way to go about it.

There is really only one big free agent this year and that's James Frawley. Although the Giants do appear to need a KPD, there has been next to no signs that he is interested so I think we can rule out the Giants from landing a big free agent this year. Another situation similar to the Taylor Adams trade last year wouldn't be a bad outcome for the Giants this year. If another one of the young guys wants to go home then the Giants should definitely look into trading for a mature KPD (from one of the Melbourne clubs I'd imagine). Perhaps someone like Ben Reid would be a good pick up. His brother plays for Sydney so it could be similar to the Heath Shaw situation. Plus he and Heater obviously played together at the Pies so they know each other's game already.

In terms of big free agents, it's really all about next year for the Giants. With Patton's injuries, it might be worth it for the Giants to have another crack at Tex Walker. He is of course from NSW and has already proven himself to be one of the best tall forwards in the comp. Another option is Tom Hawkins who is also from NSW originally. Both come from the Giants' zone so they are definitely marketable. Kreuzer and Leuenberger are also available if the Giants want another ruckman to ease the load on Mumford. The big name midfielders on offer are Dangerfield and Cotchin while Jack Steven from St Kilda wouldn't be a bad pick up either.

But, if I'm being honest, I think the Giants should go after Alex Rance next year. He'll be 25 years old and is definitely a very good KPD. There is no way Richmond will be able to compete with you guys financially. What do you guys think?

Massive no to walker. We already have Cameron, Boyd, Tomlinson, Stewart, McCarthy, lobb, Giles, jaksch etc that can fill a KPF role as well as finlayson

Massive no to walker. We already have Cameron, Boyd, Tomlinson, Stewart, McCarthy, lobb, Giles, jaksch etc that can fill a KPF role as well as finlayson
I was sort of alluding to the idea that perhaps Patton and/or another KPF may not be at the club by that stage and the Giants may become interested in Tex again. You definitely wouldn't go after him with the current list but things can change very quickly in footy clubs.

What do you think about chasing Rance? Richmond will have to offer Cotchin pretty big money so there won't be much left over to hold on to Rance at the end of next year.

Brought up rance last trade period but I can't see rance himself wanting to move here. He will move to another Vic club or wa before he even thinks about joining us

Back