Will we lose Bolton and/or Ratten?

Remove this Banner Ad

Darth Docomo

Senior List
Sep 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With 'he who shall not take blame' staying/going and Thompson waiting on that decision... Adelaide and Gold Coast are lining up at the Hawthorn assistant coaches buffet.

Will we lose either? And who would be a good replacement?

EDIT: Seems James has another 4-5 days

Last edited:

Shame we'll lose Bolts as I think he was probably being groomed to take the helm from Clarko when he possibly moves to a bigger role within the club when he is done with coaching (in my most optimistic thoughts). We seem to find replacements quite well (Hardwick, Simpson, Cameron etc) so I trust the club can find someone else if either leave.

Shame we'll lose Bolts as I think he was probably being groomed to take the helm from Clarko when he possibly moves to a bigger role within the club when he is done with coaching (in my most optimistic thoughts). We seem to find replacements quite well (Hardwick, Simpson, Cameron etc) so I trust the club can find someone else if either leave.

Clarkson endorsed his decision to go see Adelaide.

Clarkson endorsed his decision to go see Adelaide.

I'm sure he does - they wouldn't want to hold him back. Just think that Bolton's 5 games in charge brought him into the spotlight and in the scope of other clubs. It's just my feeling that he would have been the one groomed to take over some day.

I'm sure he does - they wouldn't want to hold him back. Just think that Bolton's 5 games in charge brought him into the spotlight and in the scope of other clubs. It's just my feeling that he would have been the one groomed to take over some day.

But if he was being specifically groomed to take over post-Clarko, you would want him to stay and you would provide that incentive to him, wouldn't you?

But if he was being specifically groomed to take over post-Clarko, you would want him to stay and you would provide that incentive to him, wouldn't you?

You would think so, but reality would set in on all sides. We can't expect him to stay with no definitive end date for Clarko, and you could throw all the incentives in you want - the AFC coaching role would pay a lot more than an assistant role at HFC - plus it's a promotion and someone who wants to achieve would likely take that on.

I could be totally wrong - I just feel as though Bolts was the one to take the mantle one day. If he gets a chance elsewhere, good luck to him!

You would think so, but reality would set in on all sides. We can't expect him to stay with no definitive end date for Clarko, and you could throw all the incentives in you want - the AFC coaching role would pay a lot more than an assistant role at HFC - plus it's a promotion and someone who wants to achieve would likely take that on.

I could be totally wrong - I just feel as though Bolts was the one to take the mantle one day. If he gets a chance elsewhere, good luck to him!

I suppose the worst outcome would be the club jumping to keep him, putting an end date on Clarko as coach and doing one of those stupid transitions right in the middle of a time where the players are buying into everything that the coach is about (Buckley-Malthouse). Lol

I don't think he was being 'groomed' for the role, as such. I don't think a replacement would have even been considered, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck to him indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best of luck to him, he deserves it....Be a shame to lose all 3 though should Ratten follow suit; what with Beveridge already out the door to St.Kilda!....Hard job to find 3 replacements in one off season without losing a significant knowledge-base!

Maybe we could bring in Ling as an assistant. Imagine the Cats fans having to write off two former premiership captains in one year. Oh the lulz!

Maybe we could bring in Ling as an assistant. Imagine the Cats fans having to write off two former premiership captains in one year. Oh the lulz!

I'm just not sure that a bloke over 5'7 would fit in with our pre-requisite coaching profile is all!;)....Monkey yeah, but he sits on the bench & doubles as Clarko's Bouncer!

Wouldnt begrudge Bolton his shot at Adelaide. He did a cracking job for us when Clarko was out of action and is a great guy. Will wish him all the best. We have some other decent coaches to fill the void he will leave.

Coaching the Crows is one if the toughest gigs in AFL footy due to the SA fish bowl and the high expectations of their supporters.

Good luck to BB if he gets the job as he seems like a top bloke and a very knowledgable coach.

Coaching the Crows is one if the toughest gigs in AFL footy due to the SA fish bowl and the high expectations of their supporters.

Good luck to BB if he gets the job as he seems like a top bloke and a very knowledgable coach.
Hi guys. Not trolling here but seems that the Hawthorn Coaching panel has been mentioned as having a candidate for the Crows job. As Hawks supporters who would you rate as the best candidate for that job. Bolton, Ratten or Chris Fagan? HAve no inside knowledge but Chris Fagan has been mentioned to me as a dark horse for the job. Won't be announced until after the HAwks B&F so there must be a Hawks connection. What do you think?

Hi guys. Not trolling here but seems that the Hawthorn Coaching panel has been mentioned as having a candidate for the Crows job. As Hawks supporters who would you rate as the best candidate for that job. Bolton, Ratten or Chris Fagan? HAve no inside knowledge but Chris Fagan has been mentioned to me as a dark horse for the job. Won't be announced until after the HAwks B&F so there must be a Hawks connection. What do you think?

Chris Fagan is head of the coaching department....He is responsible for the health & well-being of our coaching panel & monitoring the overall coaching dynamics within the club!....He is not a candidate to become head coach, though your club may well be looking to poach him for a similar role with them.

Ratten has a proven track record & has run a ship before, whereas Bolts is untried though appears to be the rising star amongst the group!

Would Bolts even be on the radar of any club if he hadn't been thrust into the spotlight due to Clarko's illness? Interesting how fate intervenes in these things. In one way I hope he is being considered as a serious candidate for a head coaching position by other clubs after the mockery he had to endure from some sections of the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back