Will we make top 4?

Will we make top 4 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kind of doubt it... Need others to stuff up that's a position you don't want to be in:( three peat dream was nice while it lasted
Gee, I hope the team isn't as soft as you...

I'm bemused by the amount of people who are so sure that we CANNOT win the flag, that there is no way we could win an interstate final, that our chance for a top 4 finish, and chance for a flag is over. In round 8, while we are 5th, no less! :confused::confused::confused:

Why the * are you all so determined to write us off? Am I the only one who finds it very annoying? Is it some sort of self-comforting measure, to prepare yourself for the worst so your delicate hearts won't be too hurt if we don't win?

What's to be gained by such pointless speculation? Why bother?

It's not even an opinion, it's nothing can be discussed, or debated...it's pointless guessing.

All I see here is "I think we will finish top 4", " Well, you're wrong, I think we won't" "well, you're wrong, I think we will," "i think if we finish 3rd we can't win" "Well, I think we can win from third!", etc etc etc etc etc ad infinitum. May as well listen to KB on SEN...

This thread is like listening to bunch of drunks arguing about how many angels are swimming in their beer.

Me, I'll just watch the season unfold, and I'll know where we will finish at the end of August. I know in our culture 'sitting on the fence' is considered less desirable than making brash speculative pronouncements that later turn out to be completely and laughably wrong, but it's worked for me so far, and I recommend it as a method for seperating one's own biases, and catastrophising, from reality

Rant over! Grrrrrr! hangovers are bad, mmkay

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm bemused by the amount of people who are so sure that we CANNOT win the flag, that there is no way we could win an interstate final, that our chance for a top 4 finish, and chance for a flag is over. In round 8, while we are 5th, no less! :confused::confused::confused:

Why the **** are you all so determined to write us off? Am I the only one who finds it very annoying? Is it some sort of self-comforting measure, to prepare yourself for the worst so your delicate hearts won't be too hurt if we don't win?

What's to be gained by such pointless speculation? Why bother?

It's not even an opinion, it's nothing can be discussed, or debated...it's pointless guessing.

All I see here is "I think we will finish top 4", " Well, you're wrong, I think we won't" "well, you're wrong, I think we will," "i think if we finish 3rd we can't win" "Well, I think we can win from third!", etc etc etc etc etc ad infinitum.

This thread is like listening to bunch of drunks arguing about how many angels are swimming in their beer.

Me, I'll just watch the season unfold, and I'll know where we will finish at the end of August. I know in our culture 'sitting on the fence' is considered less desirable than making brash speculative pronouncements that later turn out to be completely and laughably wrong, but it's worked for me so far, and I recommend it as a method for seperating one's own biases, and catastrophising, from reality

Rant over! Grrrrrr! hangovers are bad, mmkay

People like to he negative to prepare for the worst, it's easier to handle I think. We are such a spoilt supporter base, we've been gifted with finals appearances and premierships for the best part of the last 12 years that the thought of us not at least being a realistic shot is demoralising.

I think we are as good as any side in the league, however I do watch us and think gee we are trying to be to cute with the footy. These little dinky handballs to guys under pressure, not pushing back off the mark and laying this screen seems to put us under more pressure than its meant to. If we get back to surgeon like footy and have the forward line become more dynamic and open then we still have a chance! We need to create 1v1s inside the 50, we are being flooded and just seem to be hitting the top of the square with bombs which plays into the hands of the defence.

Ohh and If Ruff decides to pull his finger out of his are it'd help.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2014 after 9 games

Rd 10 Ladder
PA932145.8
GE928116.9
GC928112.6
HW924152.6
SY924124.9
CW924107.9
FR920117.6
NM920105.9
WC916125.5
AD916102.3
ES91698.6
CA91686.7
RI912102.8
WB91284.3
ME91278.7
SK91268.1
GW9868.6
BL9454.8

1 win less, a slightly better percentage but at least we have our coach this time round!

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes if we kick straight and fix up our forward entries.

This is not like 2009 when we were getting beaten easily by some average sides, had no KPDs and crap depth. Also, we are the best side in terms of talent so it's just a matter of playing to that potential.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After 9 games, our record under Clarkson

2005 3-6 (102) (12/16)
2006 4-5 (84) (11/16)
2007 6-3 (112.2) (4/16)
2008 9-0 (138.4) (1/16)
2009 5-4 (100) (7/16)
2010 3-6 (94) (13/16)
2011 7-2 (131.4) (3/17)
2012 5-4 (118.8) (8/18)
2013 8-1 (139.4) (1/18)
2014 6-3 (152.6) (4/18)
2015 5-4 (151.9) (5/18)

We are in exactly the same position as we were in 2009 and 2012 (although our percentage is substantially better than either year). We will either win 4 from our remaining 13 games and fizzle out or 12 and charge to the finals

Either way it's not a bad platform to have, a kick either way and we would be in an almost identical position to last year

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
At this stage we wouldn't beat Sydney or Fremantle away from home.

Still a long way to go to capture the required form and desire.

This is spot on.. Although I have this funny feeling the boys are really going to set them selves for the Dockers in Lonny. All things going well we should be 9-4 but worst 8-5 and rollinh nicely.

We will beat them down there

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We need to win one of our away games against West Coast, Sydney and Adelaide and win all our remaining games (inc home games against Fremantle and Port Adelaide) to lock in 3rd

Can probably afford to drop another game again to lock in 4th (ie 15/7 with a 140% plus percentage)

Wundo

Club Legend
Feb 10, 2010
Melbourne - WA - Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is spot on.. Although I have this funny feeling the boys are really going to set them selves for the Dockers in Lonny. All things going well we should be 9-4 but worst 8-5 and rollinh nicely.

We will beat them down there
Like I think MinerBoy has already said - if Dockers are still undefeated by the time we get them in Lonny then they probably won't send a full strength team.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Like I think MinerBoy has already said - if Dockers are still undefeated by the time we get them in Lonny then they probably won't send a full strength team.

I can't stand that bridesmaid flog Ross Lyon... Don't bring your best team, no dramas. I hope we get them instead of the Syds on GF day if we get there again.

I can't stand that bridesmaid flog Ross Lyon... Don't bring your best team, no dramas. I hope we get them instead of the Syds on GF day if we get there again.

Well the tactics have worked for Ross the Boss before, he's got those premiership medals to show for it, right?

And he's got more Coach of the Year medals than Clarko!

If Lewis' goal in the Bombers game wasn't wrongly (confirmed wrong by umpires association) overturned or Breust had just one more second right at the end of the game to kick that goal then we'd currently be sitting 4th on the ladder.

And if in addition to that Breust had been able to convert that goal late last week or Rioli hadn't fumbled that handball from Gunston running into goal in the last 30 seconds and kicked it then we'd currently be sitting 2nd on the ladder.

Unfortunately these things didn't happen but they realistically could have with just a little bit of luck. Fremantle and Sydney are likely to experience some bad luck of their own over the course of the rest of the season.

Had a look at the squiggle predictor (by no means a guarantee the way we're playing)

It has us losing away to Sydney and West Coast and winning the rest of our games, and it didn't seem so far fetched looking at the rest of our games. That would put us 4th.

Interestingly if we beat West Coast we would leapfrog them to 3rd, OR if we beat Sydney in Sydney would leapfrog both (regardless of whether we beat WC or not) into 2nd.

In other words, unless we lose 1-2 more gimme games, the game in Sydney will likely make or break our season. More importantly, all is not lost yet.

I reckon Sydney will lose a few. Pencil in 2nd for us.
Despite being 2 games clear of us they haven't been that much better than us this season. Freo is the only side that has been consistently better than us. Like others have said though our best is still better but we need to see it for longer than 20 minutes a game.

Despite being 2 games clear of us they haven't been that much better than us this season. Freo is the only side that has been consistently better than us. Like others have said though our best is still better but we need to see it for longer than 20 minutes a game.
I think the difficulty this season is that the competition is much more even. I would have preferred for us to be playing a little better and be sitting on top like Freo, but the good news is that no-one is untouchable, so if we keep playing well, hopefully most of our bad beats are behind us.

bigton08

Premiership Player
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee, I hope the team isn't as soft as you...
Mate we're sixth on the ladder west coast ain't giving in freo has number 1 locked in and neither are the pies going badly shitney are winning everything GWS well who knows what their story is, that could go either way.whats wrong with being realistic.i honestly cannot see the top four changing much from what it is now. Soft ....my ar$e.. So we don't make the top 4 it is what it is... We threw some tight games it just hasn't gone our way.I'm disappointed but still proud of b2b.

Would be handy if one of GWS or Collingwood lose next week. If only North Melbourne held onto that lead against Collingwood.

The Adelaide game in Round 12 is going to be pivotal in the context of our season. Lose that game and we slip down a few spots.

Back