Certified Legendary Thread Willo's Friday Inquisitions - Seasons 1 & 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If someone could please clarify the MCG/ Princes Park V Gary Ablett kicking 100... is doing my head in. :$

Could swear it was the G but maybe this is the early on set dementia kicking in...

I think he did kick his 100th v North at both grounds
Geelong played North [their home game] in Rd 20 of 1994

The answer is both.
In 93 he got his 100th at the G vs North. I was there behind the goals. I remember Stoneham holding both hands up to Martin to tell him Gary had just kicked 10.

In 94 he needed two vs North at princess park.

If someone could please clarify the MCG/ Princes Park V Gary Ablett kicking 100... is doing my head in. :$

Could swear it was the G but maybe this is the early on set dementia kicking in...
1993: Round 18 v North Melbourne, MCG (Ablett's 14th game for season)
1994: Round 20 v North Melbourne, Princes Park (Ablett's 18th game for season)
1995: Round 17 v Sydney, Kardinia Park (17th game)

1996 (1000 career goals): Round 12 v Fremantle, Kardinia Park

SJ to the rescue. ;)

Thanks!

I was only 6 when he kicked 1000 goals, do you just remember all that or is it available on some public record somewhere?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's useful to read through that, and slowly digest how impressive those figures were. And are.

It means that Ablett's slowest century still came in only 18 games. Key forwards would be happy to be on 50 these days. And he was 32 closing in on 33 years of age at the time.

God poor Mick Martyn must have a lot of nightmares about Gary Ablett. Poor guy, lol.

I'm sure he did Shell
I remember the Great One kicking a bag on him at the G. Each time Martyn would try to spoil he would puch Gary in the back of the head. Gary would complete the mark and kick the goal - after the 6th time Gary put the ball down , rubbed the back of his head , then proceeded to kick the goal and run back to position. Martyn gave up that tactic after that - at least for that day.
Reminds me how tough it was in those days , they really had to earn it !!

I'm sure he did Shell
I remember the Great One kicking a bag on him at the G. Each time Martyn would try to spoil he would puch Gary in the back of the head. Gary would complete the mark and kick the goal - after the 6th time Gary put the ball down , rubbed the back of his head , then proceeded to kick the goal and run back to position. Martyn gave up that tactic after that - at least for that day.

The 80s were even worse with that- from what I can see on the footage I've seen anyway. The old "oh I'm trying to spoil the ball, whoops I've punched the forward in the head instead". :D

The most re occuring nightmare he would have tho would be the 94 Prelim I'm sure. He beats Ablett all day, except for the one moment where it counted the most.

I'm sure he did Shell

Martyn would not get a kick in the modern game. Not one. It's quite striking that his one actual possession towards the end of the Preliminary Final was a aimless boot to no one that ended up in Leigh Colbert's arms. :thumbsu:

I'm sure he did Shell
That was part of the way defenders defended back then, they wouldn't try to punch the ball often and simply just punch the forwards hands, over a whole game your forward is going to find it tough to mark in the last quarter. I can remember one of my mums cousins was mates with Bewsy, and was saying that after a game Stonehams hands would be purple and swollen from the beating they took.

Can't even touch the forwards arms now when he tries to mark or its a free...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back